just picked this up!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just picked this up!!

i was at a tractor swap meet in the parking lot of my gym and i found this for $25. I dont know much about it all the guy could tell me it was for a tool and die maker.

Looks good, and sounds like the price was right. What're you gonna do with it?

Comment

Nice score.
      Looks like it's in good condition.
      Just got my head together
      now my body's falling apart

Comment

Originally posted by dilligaf
        I dont know much about it all the guy could tell me it was for a tool and die maker.
        It's a cast iron surface plate.
        "The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is." Winston Churchill

Comment

Sorry, I figured dilligaf knew that.
          Thought it was tool gloat

Comment

i knew it was a surface plate i just didn know who made it or age.

Comment

Well aged cast iron, hmmmm

<envisage Homer Simpson "pork chops, mmmmmmmmmm">

Comment

Without opening a can of worms here, it would be nice to check it with a known good plate to verify that it is indeed still usable. And it can certainly be restored by scraping, but that may be more than you want to chew. Cast iron plates are very useful in the rebuilding of machine tools, as they have bosses that can be tapped for handles, to be lowered down on the work, and are quite a bit lighter than the stone variety. This one looks to be a nice useful, manageable size
                Last edited by daryl bane; 04-29-2008, 11:35 AM.

Comment

If you don't need it, I'll pay postage

Comment

i think ill keep it for now and i check it and some day maybe even have forrest taech me how to rescrape it

Comment

Fair 'nuff dilli

Have an old pommy mate here that used to scrape and lap CI surface plates to a tenth, just for beer money. He'd be happy to make 3, but can't even get the castings these days

Comment

Originally posted by daryl bane
                        Without opening a can of worms here, it would be nice to check it with a known good plate to verify that it is indeed still usable.
                        I'd be pleasantly surprised if it was (still flat). I've bought several of those small surface plates on Ebay (I know, which is where all the junked tools show up), and none has been anywhere close to flat.

I posted pictures of using a flycutter to flatten one that was particularly bad.

But the only reason I bought them was to have a sacrificial lamb to practice scraping. Believe me, it's a huge job to scrape even a small surface plate like that.
                        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

See above Lazlo
                          we can't get seasoned castings!

And, fwiw, we're closer to China than you are, and can't even get the cheap granite plates direct

Comment

Forget about re-scraping. Depending on the type of work you are doing you may be able to use as is. You can check it with an indicator to see if the tol. is sufficient for your work. If not - use it as a plate on your work bench for gen. use and buy a granite surface plate. They are cheap enough - toolroom tol. is +/- 0.0005".

Comment

Juergen, how do you check with an "indicator" (or blue) if you don't have a reference flat?

Comment

Working...
                              X