Sawing Aluminum with tablesaw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sawing Aluminum with tablesaw

I seen a post on here about a month ago where someone was talking about cutting aluminum with a carbide tipped tablesaw. He said it worked very well if the blade was waxed. Okay---semi-dumb question---what kind of wax? I have liquid car wax, I have pastewax for the hardwood floors, and I have some wax candles. Which would be the best to use for waxing the blade?---Brian
    Brian Rupnow

Paste wax on the blade and candle wax in the ears if you don't have hearing protectors. Cutting aluminum with a table saw will make such a racket it will scare anyone within a block radius and can damage your hearing.

thnx, jack vines

Comment

Brian, when making my CNC router, I cut 1" ali plate with my makita drop-saw.
      Use candle wax. You'll be fine.
      If thin ali, just a squirt of WD40 or kero.
      Just got my head together
      now my body's falling apart

Comment

Bee's wax is the ultimate aluminum lube. Got any bee's wax candles?
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I have a spare koolmist sprayer that I mounted under the table in plane with the blade. Works well. Keeps the blade cool and keeps it from warping from the heat. I use a 9" hollow ground HSS blade I picked up from boeing. I think it has a 1/16" kerf.

Comment

table saw

I frequently use my table saw to cut aluminum and find a large plastic bag and cover myself with it during cutting. If I don't cuttings get in my hair and down my neck.Safety glasses and face shield just don't do it. Peter
            The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

Comment

in the absence of beeswax, a bar of soap will do just as well

Comment

Evan---I just went out in the backyard to get some bees wax. I squeezed a bee and the damn thing stung me!!! Guess I'll try the camdle wax or paste wax instead. Thanks, fellows.---Brian
                Brian Rupnow

Comment

I guess that's none of your beeswax, huh?

'Major Frank Burns'

Comment

Yah, and it stung me right on the bee-hind!!!!
                    Brian Rupnow

Comment

Arrrrrrrrrrr Brian ,as the old tars would say.....
                      "avast behind!"

Comment

Aarrrrr Billy---I been to sea, but 'twas in my youth, when I was but a nipper----
                        Brian Rupnow

Comment

sawing

The Cabin boy's name was nipper
                          By God, he was a ripper
                          He stuffed his ars** with broken glass
                          And circumcised the skipper

And no I don't want to hear that classical English song
                          " Where the bee sucks"

Errr

Norm

( Rehearsing for my son's Stag Night)

Comment

Enough of this funny Bees-ness!!! I just cut a peice of 5/8" aluminum with my ancient flea market table saw, and it cut beautifully. I waxed up the blade with some Johnsons paste wax that normally gets used on hardwood floors. I am supposed to be working an engineering contract right now, but I'm hung up waiting for a call back from my customer, so I'm playing Mister Machinist this afternoon. I roughed out a 3 1/2" circle from the 5/8" aluminum plate and machined up a small jig to hold it for turning, and I have turned it to finish size on the lathe.---- and now I have the hub for my water-wheel. I was going to use 1" plate, but the 5/8 was here in my scrap bin, and was free!!!
                            Brian Rupnow

Comment

Modern day candles are made out of some wierd stuff that is not really wax. I mean, it is, but it sure is crummy wax.
                              When I saw aluminum, or rout it with my big 3 hp hitachi router, I use a wax stick that is made for the purpose.
                              I know its cheating to use the right stuff, rather than catching my own beaver and making lard from its tail fat, and then climbing a tree barefoot in a loincloth to get a beehive, and mixing the two in an old oil drum out back over a pallet wood and used motor oil fire-

but it only cost about ten bucks, and it comes in a cardboard tube kinda like a grease tube, and it is exactly the right stuff- solid at room temp, but soft enough to rub on the blade.

http://www.barrettdiamond.com/carbide/stick.htm

A decent industrial supplier will have it, I am sure MSC/Enco/McMaster all carry it too.

One stick will last you a long long time- I think I bought mine in the 80's.

Comment

Working...
                              X