Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saws.....

I just caught a show on the History channel, Modern Marvels "Saws"
    It was very interesting, if you get a chance to catch a re-run I would highly recommend it.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."~ Thomas Jefferson

Yes, I love the History Channel. But you have to be a bit careful about what you believe in their stuff. I remember a piece they did about the development of the steam engine. They claimed that the sun and planet gear was an essential element of the design as if the thing would not work without it. I sent them an e-mail explaining that a patent covered the crankshaft idea at the time and the engines that had sun and planet gears used them in an attempt to get around that patent. After the patent expired, no one ever used a sun and planet gear again on a steam engine or any other kind except in exceptional situations. A later airing of the program omitted the claim.

Can't really blame them. They are just TV producers and writers and don't really understand what they are presenting. They do interviews and edit it. They do write the narrator’s part and that is where they usually get into trouble. There are many more examples.

But it is one of my favorite channels anyway.
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore
      I remember a piece they did about the development of the steam engine. They claimed that the sun and planet gear was an essential element of the design as if the thing would not work without it. I sent them an e-mail explaining that a patent covered the crankshaft idea at the time and the engines that had sun and planet gears used them in an attempt to get around that patent.
      Hmmm - an early argument for open source power transfer technology Richard Stallman would be pleased.

Comment

Working...
      X