Wasted minds???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wasted minds???

I posted the other thread and showed some more work the gurl did in my shop.
    After talking about it for a bit I got to thinking about "wasted minds".
    This young lady (shes 30 now)came to work for me as a housekeeper at the motel five years ago.
    She was soon promoted to the front desk clerk position.
    After several years.. I was working on the office heater one day when she asked me if I'd teach her how to repair the wiring on these things.... that lead to showing her how to repair the dryer, then the broken door locks etc.
    Then she came to the shop one day to pick up her son... that lead to her interest in welding.
    Her (sorta cuz I really don't know all) background.. I don't think she ever gradutated high school. Worked as a houskeeper, a waitress and spent a fair amount of time working as a server in the bars. Lived on the "rough side" of life.
    I started her working in my shop a little over a year ago.... she knew zilch about any of this stuff.
    Today she is on the doorstep of running my fab/machine shop. Brilliant girl!
    But who knew?
    By some kind of weird accident.. I really think she's now doing what she was put on earth to do.
    That makes me wonder... how many people are out there doing humdrum work... just slogging along... when their true potential is lurking under the surface and most likely will never be discovered.
    This girl here... that would have been a real waste of a truly great mind. Someone missed the boat with her when she was younger.
    So how many other people are out there like that?
    This has been a learning experience for me. I look at people differently now. You just never know... the guy/girl you are talking to.. a hohum life they lead. Never going to make much of themselves in life.. well what "if".
    I guess it all comes down to the darts that life throws at you and some kind of fate thing. I've always believed that I determined my fate.. what I learned, what I did.
    Now I wonder... seems a shame that more people can't be "discovered".
    No clue how to do that... just wondering out loud.
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

There is a lot of people in this world who haven't and probably never will reach their full potential because it seems no one or very few today are willing to take the time or give someone a chance.

Sounds like to me you have a keeper.

Comment

I think it is all about having the gift and the will. As long as somebody has both, then exposure is unavoidable. I mean just look at your story...

Comment

Russ,
        Just when I was ready to give up on the
        idea that there were any decent people left in the world, you post this gem!
        Talk about rough as a cob with a heart of gold.

IIRC you took her son under your wing a while ago and spent much time guiding him
        onto the straight and narrow.
        This brought you in closer contact with his mother and the rest is history.

This is proof that "what you sow so shall you reap" is a good guide for living.

Gramps ( a 79 yr. old Curmudgeon)

Comment

Torker,
          I believe everyone somewhere has a guardian angel, who directs them in life, The angel sent you to guide the young woman onto what she was good at & put on earth to do, She recognised the thing she was programmed to do other dissolute types dont even take what path life sent for them to follow Thanks for helping her in this life, The world needs more Torkers.

Comment

wasted mind

Russ- Give your self a pat on the back too. You took the time to show intrest,
            and she took the time to learn. Good deal both ways.
            Some times later in life is when you are mature enough to do things you could not do before.
            I had two similar situations with young boys. The first was kind of trouble around the house, smart mouth usual things. I caught him once wacking my mailbox with a bat. But then he kind of started hanging around, and showed some interest in things. I took the time to show him things and kept him on the hook for his actions. (good and bad). Eventually he went on to college. His mother still thanks me.
            The second kid was a lot better attitude wise, but no dad in his life, two sisters, mom had to work. He too showed interest and I took him in, so to speak.
            He is finishing college this year with a EE degree.
            My only regret is that my oun 12yr old son shows no interest in anything I do.
            Go figure! Maybe he will fiigure out that Dad really does no something.
            But I think that's the way that goes. We all did it.

Keep up the teaching, and believing!

Sid

Comment

It's a strang world out there. When a kid (or an adult for that matter) is given a felt need to learn something happens. Not sure what it is that happens but it does. Where I'm going with this is a story I recall from a readers digest and a movie they made of a high school math teacher in So. Cal. His students were all from the wrong side of the tracks so to speak. He challenged and respected these kids and ALL of them developed a deep passion for math. The all ended up with the highest calculus test scores that could be measured (or something like that) and they though he was cheating the exam board. They later concluded that was not the case Well this ledgend came and whent. Talk about wasting natural resources. This should have been looked at more carefully than any thing else in the history of our country. IMHO. Was it just the respect ??? Glad to make your aquaintance torker

Comment

Russ!!! Good for her and good for you. It must make you proud. But be careful man or you soon mite be working for her. By the way, did the gurl ever finish mounting those lights on the mill??
                Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

Comment

Torker

It usually takes someone to start the fire (you). Then they are warm all over with the need to learn more. You treated the Gurl with respect. Probably the first person to do so, she has great potential and I hope she continues to climb higher in her achievements.
                  Uncle Torker has good reason to be proud!
                  Bob

Comment

I learned never to judge a book by it's cover.Some of the worst most degenerate SOB's I have ever met have been well dressed and college educated.

I know a kid right now who is having hell with his parents.They say he is rebeling because he wants to learn machining and mechanical work rather than go to school and be white collar like they want.To hear his folks talk it sounds like he's smoking dope.Sad part is he has the knack for it and would make a damn good machinist.
                    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Thanks guys! LOL! I need to watch that wasted mind stuff... was out on my TY250 trials bike tonight for a bit. Was thinking about business while trying to ride and crashed.. got a big geezuz lump on my knee now and am hoppin once again
                      Good thing the gurl will be here in the morning...lol!
                      Been thinking about this post a bit today. I think Sid summed it up.. I did take an interest but she also showed an interest by asking how to do things.
                      She also has the strong will to work all these long hours and do all the other things in her life.
                      I guess that's what seperates her from the others who could do better for themselves.
                      Ernie... geez... ya we use the lights all the time on the mill. I ummm... haven't posted any more pics yet... been too busy to tidy up the wiring really neat like you did. Had a problem with the rear light. the way it cast in the middle made an ugly shadow. Tilted it way back just to get it out of the way quick and I'll be darned it the light didn't reflect off the shiny round column right into the middle of the tool center!! It's great! Thanks again for the good idea!
                      Russ
                      Last edited by torker; 05-02-2008, 01:51 AM.

Comment

Russ, I think you are a good guy. Not every one has the ability to teach , and not everyone has the ability to learn. It sounds like you and the ''gurl'' make a good team.
                        Steve

Comment

The real tragedy is the untold numbers who never even attempt to reach their potential. Some are discouraged at an early age by whatever circumstances. Some are distracted later in life. Some are just plain lazy. But just think of the wonders we might see today if everyone had reached their true potential in the past. We would be past the stars now.

Education is the key. And I mean good teachers, not the typical ones who actually turn the students off. I was always a bit of a geek. I loved science and math. Couldn't stand subjects like history when I was in school. Imagine my surprise when I discovered how interesting history actually is. But the idiots only wanted to teach me to parrot back the dates that everything happened. They are prabably still doing that. Any history teacher that asks for even a single date on a test should be drawn and quartered (simply shooting them is far too little). And similar things happen in all subjects.
                          Paul A.
                          SE Texas

Make it fit.
                          You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

your gurl

If she ever decides shorter winters are more appealing I will send driving directions and maybe even some gas money! She can move right into the mess I call a shop and the house I rattle around in!

mark61

Comment

Originally posted by mark61
                              If she ever decides shorter winters are more appealing I will send driving directions and maybe even some gas money! She can move right into the mess I call a shop and the house I rattle around in!

mark61
                              Psssttt... Mark...Mark...Wake up!!!! Wake up!!! You're dreaming

Comment

Working...
                              X