"Y" axis movement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Y" axis movement

I've read accounts of "Y" axis slack when milling in a certain direction but hadn't experienced it until last night.
    I was using a .375" roughing end mill and, instead of just milling back & forth, when I got to the end of a pass in X I moved the table in Y to circle around the piece.
    Well...now I forget in what direction I was going but the handle went dead slack in my hand!
    Probably an exaggeration but it fealt like half a revolution before the the slack was out.

So, is this something that can be adjusted out or is it what the doctor says; "if it hurts, don't do that!" ?
    Len

It is more than likely "backlash". It is normal clearance in the lead screw and nut. A half turn of the handle is not normal. Most machines have a way to adjust it to a minimum. To check, lock the cross slide down and see how far the handle moves freely. It is not uncommon to have .010-.020 or more play, and it is one of the biggest reasons that I got a DRO.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."~ Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Len, scary is when you're feeding, you didn't change direction, and suddenly that "light" feeling is there. That's when you realize you're climb milling with a big ole cutter and it's starting to grab the table and pull it into the cut.

Cheers!

BW
      ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
      Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
      http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

Originally posted by BobWarfield
        Len, scary is when you're feeding, you didn't change direction, and suddenly that "light" feeling is there. That's when you realize you're climb milling with a big ole cutter and it's starting to grab the table and pull it into the cut.

Cheers!

BW
        Make that big ole Expensive cutter been there one too many times

Comment

Cheers!

BW
          I'll bet that's what was going on.
          A permutation thereof at least.
          I probably was taking a deep cut on the side of the cutter too.
          Len

Comment

Blunt/sharp???

Cheers!

BW
            Originally posted by sconisbee
            Make that big ole Expensive cutter been there one too many times
            Make that big ole blunt/not-sharp(enough??) Expensive cutter???

Comment

Working...
            X