Ebay - buyer’s market ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebay - buyer’s market ????

If you haven’t looked in a while – you need to. Quite the pleasant surprise as I’ve been too busy working lately to go sniping very much. But “My Oh My” the term Buyer’s Market is in full force right now

Sure glad I didn't go with latest "Get Rich Quick - Flip this House" craze and get myself in serious debt with an ARM. Just the good Old tried and true, slow but sure, hard work and clean living method here and now it is paying off handsomely

What category are you looking at?

I've about given up on eBay for finding bargains. I just cannot bring myself to do business with sellers who list items with low start bids and outrageous shipping/handling charges. I figure if they'll cheat eBay, they'll cheat me.

Roger
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Originally posted by winchman
      What category are you looking at?

Roger
      "Equipment Specific Tooling - Grinding" and "Mills"

And yes the depressed economy has created 2 things, "A Buyer's Market" and some seriously desperate shysters ready to alleviate you from your money.

I had to walk away from a Matsuura CNC I won on EBay as the guy listed it a second time. I emailed him within minutes of winning the auction on Monday morning that I would be over Friday morning with a “Cashier’s Check” for the full amount to take delivery of the machine.

Will the stupid shyster figured he should have got more for the machine so he listed it a second time in a 3 day auction to see if he could get more money for it before I came over with the check.

What pissed me off was EBay would not do a thing about it.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeFin
        "Will the stupid shyster figured he should have got more for the machine so he listed it a second time in a 3 day auction to see if he could get more money for it before I came over with the check.

What pissed me off was EBay would not do a thing about it.
        Well, what is his user ID??? Save us the problem of dealing with him.

Comment

Sounds like a job for Small claims court. If you get it in front of a Judge (Usually 20-30 dollars). You get to make you initial purchase, and that guy will think twice about doing that again. The like to file criminal charges right after the civil side is taken care of. The courts in CT have had it with online fraud anyways.

Comment

Shipping charges are the killer in a lot of places, but eBay is really bad. I saw an aluminium coffeepot - the kind of thing that sells for $10 in the camping-equipment store - listed with a start price of $3.95, and shipping of $18 - yes, that's EIGHTEEN bucks.

As long as eBay lets people do this kind of thing, they'll keep doing it.

I wonder how long it'll be before someone starts an alternative to eBay?
            Pete in NJ

Comment

Originally posted by Pete H
              I wonder how long it'll be before someone starts an alternative to eBay?
              There are lots of them already. But they don't catch on. Even if another site manages to do the near-impossible and get thousands of listings, the pickings will be poor compared to eBay, which has millions.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete H
                Shipping charges are the killer in a lot of places, but eBay is really bad. I saw an aluminium coffeepot - the kind of thing that sells for $10 in the camping-equipment store - listed with a start price of $3.95, and shipping of $18 - yes, that's EIGHTEEN bucks.
                Yeah, know that feeling very well - one lady wouldn't drop her excessive shipping charges. Quoting - shipping/handling/someone has to package it up ... duh.

Another guy is charging me $22 to ship 4 books. Tried to get him to use "media mail" which should be $10-ish. He claims it already is media mail, but has to charge for packaging/handling - no doubt the books will come in the usual cardboard box with crumpled newspaper for packing .... grrrrrrrrrrr

Comment

Originally posted by mlucek
                  Yeah, know that feeling very well - one lady wouldn't drop her excessive shipping charges. Quoting - shipping/handling/someone has to package it up ... duh.

Another guy is charging me $22 to ship 4 books. Tried to get him to use "media mail" which should be $10-ish. He claims it already is media mail, but has to charge for packaging/handling - no doubt the books will come in the usual cardboard box with crumpled newspaper for packing .... grrrrrrrrrrr
                  Packing stuff up can be very time-consuming, it's one of the things which puts me off selling on ebay. I've no problem with people charging a reasonable amount for packing, provided it's clearly stated.
                  That said, there are certainly sellers who take the p*ss, simple thing is not to use them.

Tim

Comment

Joe, I'm really sorry to hear about the guy walking away from the Matsuura

You should definitely file an Item Not Received dispute with Ebay:

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...rCreateDispute

It will count as 1 strike, and if you get the other guy who "bought" the Matsuura to file one, there's a good chance they'll cancel his account. At the least, he'll have two out of three strikes with Ebay.

For a lot of sellers, that hurts more than negative feedback.
                    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Working...
                    X