Gear Cutters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear Cutters

I have a small gear 1.100" dia. .193" thick with 16 teeth. Came out of a Japanese mortar. How do I determine what gear cutter to buy. Thanks. Riceone

a number 7 involute gear cutter would be required for 16 teeth

Comment

This post will tell you how to calculate what the pitch is.
      http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=17870
      And then you will need a number 7 cutter in the pitch you determine.

Comment

Code:
        Outside Diameter = Number of Teeth + 2

Comment

OD is 1.100" - 16 teeth plus 2 = 18. 18 divided by 1.100 = 16.3636.
          MSC list 14 1/2 and 20 degree pressure angle. What do I order? Is there a difference in this gear made in Japan in the 30's and an American gear made today? Are there different cutters for Metric and would there be a different way to calculate the pressure angle? riceone

Comment

I'm looking in the MSC catalogue; would I order a dimetrical pitch of 18 in a No. 7 Cutter? riceone

Comment

Whoa!!

The original post was:
              Originally posted by riceone
              I have a small gear 1.100" dia. .193" thick with 16 teeth. Came out of a Japanese mortar. How do I determine what gear cutter to buy. Thanks. Riceone
              Why is everyone going "inch" when the item is Japanese which is probably "metric"?

A re-work for metric is:

OD = 1.100 x 25.4 = 27.940mm (say 28.00mm)

For Modular (metric) gears:
              Mod 2

OD = PCD + (2 x 2) =28

PCD = 28 - 4 = 24

(or for DP equivalent) DP = 24/16 = 1.5

Width of gear = 0.193" x 25.4 = 4.9022 mm (say 5.00mm nominal).

It is quite possible and perhaps probable or a certainty that I am wrong, but as it is Japanese I would at least consider that the gear might be:
              - 28mm OD;
              - 24mm PCD;
              - 16 teeth;
              - Mod(ular) 1.5;
              - 5.00 mm (nominal) wide; and
              - 1.5 DP (equivalent).

The pressure angle is yet to be determined whether it be "inch" (DP) or "metric" (Modular).

So if it were me, I wouldn't order that gear cutter yet.

Comment

With these specs and being Japanese chances are it's 1.5 mod and 20 degree pressure angle.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Is this it??

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                  With these specs and being Japanese chances are it's 1.5 mod and 20 degree pressure angle.

Thanks John.

That has "closed the loop" and so I'd support what you say:
                  (sizes in mm):
                  1.5 Mod.
                  20 deg PA
                  28 OD
                  24 PCD
                  16 teeth
                  5mm wide

It is possible - as John says- that the Pressure Angle (PA) is 14.5 degree.

Comment

Oldtiffie, your measurements are correct, just used a metric caliper - should have done that first. Now could anyone tell me what to order, I have found several suppliers of metric cutters on the net. But it all Greek to me. Thanks,

riceone

Comment

Make it

Originally posted by riceone
                      Oldtiffie, your measurements are correct, just used a metric caliper - should have done that first. Now could anyone tell me what to order, I have found several suppliers of metric cutters on the net. But it all Greek to me. Thanks,

riceone
                      Hi riceone.

I guess you have the original gear.

I'd also guess that it is on a static (ie non-moving and non-critical) model or original Mortar weapon and perhaps not the "bomb"/projectile.

If this is the case, why not use what you have to grind the profile on a fly-cutting tool and make the part/gear from brass or "free-cutting" steel (for "show" and ease of milling). Use what ever you have of the existing gear to grind the tooth/cutter profile from. Its not too hard and not all that "fussy" either.

It will cost next to nothing to make the fly-cutter and you will get huge satisfaction and "bragging rights" if you do the whole job.

A fly-cut job should work very well in a "dynamic" situation.

Just take your time!!! "Hasten slowly".

You will always have the "fall-back" option of buying a milling cutter.

If buying a milling cutter (MacMaster Carr (Sp?) in the USA?), just quote the details in my previous post and they will identify the cutter you need.

If you have any problems - just start a new thread or continue to post on this one.

I am sure that you will get all the help you need.

Best of luck - enjoy the experience and the satisfaction of "doing it".

Comment

Thanks for all your help. I will call someone and give them what you have posted. I have made a few of these using a fly cutter every one has a flaw that I can see, however they fit and work and have had no complaints. I just would like to be able to make one exactly like the original on the right. Here is a photo of the last one I made.

Last edited by riceone; 05-06-2008, 08:05 AM.

Comment

problem with the numbers

There is a problem with the numbers here,
                          For a 1.5 module pitch gear, the addendum is equal to the module or 1.5mm. If going by the formula in Machinery's Handbook for O.D. of the gear.

Rule; for O.D. = "Add 2 to the number of teeth and multiply sum by the module".

or (2 + 16teeth) x 1.5 module = 27mm (1.063") not 28mm (1.100")

What accounts for the extra .9398mm (.037") increase in the gear's original O.D.of 1.100"?

PS; Whole depth of a 1.5 module tooth is 3.250mm (.1279")
                          Last edited by vmil3; 05-06-2008, 09:18 AM.
                          Doug

Comment

Rice, those are 1.5 Module, which are very close to 16 DP -- the roots of the teeth look like they might be 14 1/2° pressure angle. On a 16 DP gear, the 20° PA teeth have a thicker base, and look more like an isosceles triangle. 14 1/2° teeth have more of an undercut below the pitch diameter.

The easiest way to tell would be to scan the actual gear, and then superimpose a CAD drawing of a 1.5 Mod, 14.5 & 20 PA gear on top of it in your favorite Photoshop-type program.

You can get the CAD models from Boston Gear, Small Parts, etc...

This is from the Boston Gear catalog, 20° PA on the left, 14.5° pitch angle on the right:
                            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Error in Mod gear value

I incorrectly inserted a Mod value of 1.5 (instead of 2.0) in my original text as I suspect that I confused or transposed it with the equivalent "DP" value:

Originally posted by oldtiffie

Mod 2

OD = PCD + (2 x 2) =28

PCD = 28 - 4 = 24

It is quite possible and perhaps probable or a certainty that I am wrong, but as it is Japanese I would at least consider that the gear might be:
                              - 28mm OD;
                              - 24mm PCD;
                              - 16 teeth;
                              - Mod(ular) 1.5;
                              - 5.00 mm (nominal) wide; and
                              - 1.5 DP (equivalent).

The pressure angle is yet to be determined whether it be "inch" (DP) or "metric" (Modular).

So if it were me, I wouldn't order that gear cutter yet.
                              The corrected and Mod value is 2.0:

Mod 2

OD = PCD + (2 x 2) =28

PCD = 28 - 4 = 24

- 28mm OD;
                              - 24mm PCD;
                              - 16 teeth;
                              - Mod(ular) 2.0;
                              - 5.00 mm (nominal) wide.
                              The pressure angle - as advised by John Stevenson is probably 20 degree with a chance that it is 14 1/2 degree.

Sorry about the silly mistake on my part.
                              Last edited by oldtiffie; 05-06-2008, 09:01 PM. Reason: Error in Mod value

Comment

Working...
                              X