Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZINOM
    replied
    Thank you all for the replies....good to know about the emergency rationale behind the Acet. thing.

Have a great day!

John

Oh, and by the way.....it's awesome to be able to weld and go....wasn't that way for me with the fluxcore.....sweet.

Leave a comment:

• Randolph
    replied
    IOWOLF and TORKER learned from the same teacher I did, apparently. If I had gotten up earlier this morning I would have told you the exact same things about both the acetylene valves and the high pressure valves on the oxygen and/or other welding gases. The only time I ever remember jumping over a lathe was when my acetylene hose got cut and caught fire! You don't want to spend a lot of time cranking shut a valve when that is happening.

Leave a comment:

• torker
    replied
    O2 and inert bottles have double seat valves. They "really" only seal positively when they are closed tight or opened right up to seat the valve.
    Wolfie is correct about the 1/4 turn for acet... when your hoses/torch are on fire you sorta want to shut that down fairly quick
    If I remember right my lil' Lincoln 135 manual calls for 12-14 on the gas. It's never enough. Someone walking past can cause enough of a draft to give up the dreaded porosity (or like the kids in Saskatchewan would say.. Gee.. I got these funny little air bubbles in my welds..again...been like that all morning... see those two big pallets of parts.. they all got them funny little air bubble thingies....grrrrr)
    Russ

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by MGREEN
    John,
    I did the same recently and the guy at the welding supply, where I bought my argon/co2 mix cylinder, said to set the regulator at 18-20 outdoors and 15 indoors as there is no wind indoors.
    setting the flow to more than that is not needed ,would be wasteful, and just would empty the tank way to quickly.
    I was glad that he informed me of that, at $35.00 per refill/exchange, it could add up fast.
    Mike Green
    Small tank Huh?

The acetylene 1/4 turn thing is for quick shutoff,in an emergency.

Leave a comment:

• Fasttrack
    replied
    35 bucks a refill? Shoot the mig I'm used to runs 110 per refill. Its a big boy though... 3-phase

Leave a comment:

• MGREEN
    replied
    Originally posted by ZINOM
    I recently converted my small Lincoln welder to use gas (argon/co2) and used it today for the first time...and when I was about to open the valve on the tank I wondered if there was a certain amount that it should be opened to.

Like on the O/A set-up I have the tanks get opened different amounts (all the way on the O2 and 1/4 turn for the acet) so being ignorant of this new gas mix I figured I'd ask.

Thanks all,

John
    John,
    I did the same recently and the guy at the welding supply, where I bought my argon/co2 mix cylinder, said to set the regulator at 18-20 outdoors and 15 indoors as there is no wind indoors.
    setting the flow to more than that is not needed ,would be wasteful, and just would empty the tank way to quickly.
    I was glad that he informed me of that, at $35.00 per refill/exchange, it could add up fast.
    Mike Green

Leave a comment:

• bruto
    replied
    I think acetylene is unique in this regard. Inert gases you can open right up.

Leave a comment:

• Fasttrack
    replied
    ???? The valves on the tank should be open all the way and then the regulators set to whatever pressure/flow you want.

For welding, you usually set the flow meter to 20 cfh

Leave a comment:

• ZINOM
    started a topic Quick MIG question...

Quick MIG question...

I recently converted my small Lincoln welder to use gas (argon/co2) and used it today for the first time...and when I was about to open the valve on the tank I wondered if there was a certain amount that it should be opened to.

Like on the O/A set-up I have the tanks get opened different amounts (all the way on the O2 and 1/4 turn for the acet) so being ignorant of this new gas mix I figured I'd ask.

Thanks all,

John
Working...
X