G&E "Universal" Shaper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G&E "Universal" Shaper?

Fate, once again showing it has a vile sense of humor, has thrown at me the possibility of a supposedly complete and running G&E Universal Shaper, cheap. On the side it says "20-24 Universal", has the vise- or at least A vise, which is pretty huge- and the seller says the table both pivots and swivels.

Again, I think I've seen this type/style spoken of and shown here and at PM, but again, not having one I didn't pay attention to specifics. What can you tell me about this thing? Pictures of nice ones?

First off, what's it likely weigh, what's some rough dimensions (length, width, height, etc.) and what's it likely powered by? (IE, 5hp 3phase, etc.)

How's the table work? I recall seeing a pic of a shaper with a table that had a huge solid rocker doodad, but then I also seem to recall somebody saying something about the difference between a "universal" and an "omniversal". Or maybe that was just a colloquialism...

Unfortunately, I think this may be too large both for my shop and floor, but I can't help trying to figure out where to put it.

Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

There is a giant shaper thread in the General New forum on PM, and some discussion and pics of a 20" G&E (4800 pounds). Worth a search and read.

Comment

Doc, here is a link to some pics of mine. Note the 28 and 24" are universal and the 16 and 14" are plain.

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Old_Ameri...p?showtopic=16

When I get home I can get you some specs on weight and size. I would guess about 6000-6500# off of the top of my head. Weight is dependant on vintage, newer = heavier. Seems like you have been drowning in sea of machinery as of late, nice.

ME

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Edwards
        I would guess about 6000-6500# off of the top of my head.

ME
        WOW, I blew that. Looks like MickeyD wins the cigar, the 20-24" industrial universal is listed as 4800#
        Stroke length 20 3/4"
        Strokes per minute 10 - 130
        Speeds 8 the newer ones were 16 speed
        Horizontal travel 24"
        Verticle travel 15 1/2"
        Table size tilting - 13x15" solid 14x15 1/2"
        Feed range .010 - .180"
        Feeds 18
        Head verticle travel 7"
        Tool size 7/8 x 1 3/4"
        Vise jaws size 2 5/8 x 14 1/4"
        Max vise opening 13"
        HP 3 - 7 1/2
        Holds 7 gallons of lube oil
        Overall length 95 1/2"
        Overall width 48"
        Overall heigth 61"

These numbers are from an older catalog, but they are probably pretty close.

ME

Comment

FWIW, the 24" Heavy Duty is 7400#, so the one you are looking at is a lot more garage friendly.

ME

Comment

Doc, you don't just want that shaper - you need it. The little suckers are fun. I got a little 8" shape-rite last month and I am having more fun with it than all of my cnc machinery combined (probably new toy syndrome). If a 650 pounder is fun, that one should be at least 7 times more fun! Don't be scared, just do it (but don't tell your wife that we pushed you, she might cut off your internet connection).

Comment

One- Not married. Shop space is more of a factor than marital bliss.

Two- Already have a 10" Lewis in fine shape. Just need to finish the new stand and drive.

Three- I was already looking at a 16" Stockbridge in pretty damn decent condition (although missing a few accessories, like the vise, table handles and ram lock handle) which is not only a tad cheaper (they're both cheap, really) but over five hundred miles closer. (Local gas is $4.17/gal.)

And four- the only reason I'm not on the road going to get it now, is I'm damn near stone cold broke. Even a great machine for dirt cheap is too expensive, when you can't even scrape together $10 to go see Iron Man. Lots of work in progress, but I'm at a pretty low point for the moment.

I wouldn't even bother asking about the G&E, as I figured the Stockbridge would already be more machine than I'd need, except I really like the idea of that "universal" pivoting table, and another 4" to 8" of stroke would be just icing on the cake.

On the other hand, though, that's even more bulk and weight, and it's 7-1/2 HP 3 phase. Add to the fact it'll be at least $500 in gas and over twenty hours in the saddle to go get it...

Doc.

Comment

After some consideration, I'll probably have to pass on this one. It's just too big, too heavy, and comes at the exactly wrong part of the usual feast-and-famine cycle. Seller says there's others looking at it, and I already committed to that Nichols mill, so I can't justify it.

I have to admit I'm kind of surprised there's anyone else interested, though, but I suppose there's always some weld shop that needs to clean up big slabs of flame-cut plate or something.

Anyway, I already bought that 16" Stockbridge shaper (haven't hauled it home yet) and as I said above, I have the 10" Lewis (have to finish the stand and drive) so it's not like I don't have a couple already.

Doc.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Nickel

Anyway, I already bought that 16" Stockbridge shaper (haven't hauled it home yet) and as I said above, I have the 10" Lewis (have to finish the stand and drive) so it's not like I don't have a couple already.

Doc.
                  Speaking of Stockbridge, have you seen the video clip of one on Youtube? The video quality is low, but it is interesting none the less.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU6fk1ZO994

ME

Comment

Holy crap, I gotta start paying more attention. While looking at this thread and the thread on PM aboout your Stockbridge, I see that inwoodcutter posted the video and more. Wow, and I'm not even 40 yet, mumble mumble.
                    ME

Comment

Wow Michael, that's an incredible collection! Forgive me, but this picture of your garage begs to be posted

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Nickel
                        the only reason I'm not on the road going to get it now, is I'm damn near stone cold broke. Even a great machine for dirt cheap is too expensive, when you can't even scrape together $10 to go see Iron Man.
                        "“When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”" - Erasmus

"“When I get a little money I buy machine tools; and if any is left I buy food and movie tickets.”" - Doc Nickel
                        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Get all four of those puppies running at the same time and he could fire a broadside at the neighbors house... That would make chip control easier - just open the door and shoot em out.

Comment

Michael that's an impressive looking collection you are a man after my own heart good luck for the future kindest regards Alistair
                            Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Gould & Eberhardts are a dime a dozen on eBay. Almost literally - I see them sell for $1 (seriously!) to $50, with a very occasional flyer at maybe $500. The most common price is about $15. They're just too heavy and expensive to move.

Comment

Working...
                              X