I'm going to Harrogate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm going to Harrogate

I just wanted to say that I'm finally going to the National Model Engineering & Modelling Exhibition in Harrogate this year.

I heard from John Stevenson that this is the best of the model engineering shows in the UK.

My plane to London, England is leaving in 4-5 hours now, and I'm very excited. I'm going to stay in UK for a week.

I will bring a camera, so expect to see some images when I get home.
    Looking forward to see you there!

I will maybe put on a national Norwegian ribbon like this, so you can recognise me:

Thomas

Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back
    - Piet Hein

I'm going to Harrogate

Sorry, Thomas, but I will not be at Harrogate.
    I have finally got to go up to Scotland having been delayed by bad weather and then fuel strikes.

My kindest regards to you.

I have a date- a Norwegian one. The Norwegian flag flies above what we call the Norwegian Stone a mile or two from Aviemore. Now that's a story!

Enjoy

Norman

Comment

Originally posted by aviemoron
      Sorry, Thomas, but I will not be at Harrogate.
      I have finally got to go up to Scotland having been delayed by bad weather and then fuel strikes.

My kindest regards to you.

I have a date- a Norwegian one. The Norwegian flag flies above what we call the Norwegian Stone a mile or two from Aviemore. Now that's a story!

Enjoy

Norman
      So that would be the 17th at Glenmore?

Comment

Glenmore

Aye but it's a wee bit more.
        Karl's, Peter's Maurice's and Eric Beard's ashes lie there. So will mine!
        It goes back to the other hard men. Riiser Larsen, the 'dockter' who survived Dachau Concentration Camp and RAF Highgate that -doesn't exist.
        It goes back to the QueenMaudland and Corporal Leslie Quar and the Norwegians who never never made it back.
        Across the road at 'the shop' is Pitch Wilson's lad. I was with Pitch and Mary in Les Arcs only days ago.

And your connection?

Cheers

Norman

Comment

Hi Norman!

Never heard of a Norwegian stone, what is that?

I'm sitting at the Torp airport writing this, waiting to board the plane to Stanstead, UK (it leaves in an hour).
          From there I'll take the Stanstead express to London, and then the train up to Harrogate.
          I will stay there for three nights, and then I travel back to London on Sunday where I will stay for the remaining four nights, enjoying myself (travelling alone).

Any recommendations for other things to do or see in Harrogate, besides the model show?

Thomas

- Piet Hein

Comment

Harrogate

Betty's !

Go to RAF MUSEUM Colindale London

Will report back - I'm off too.

Safe journey, my friend!

N

Comment

Aye but it's a wee bit more.
              Karl's, Peter's Maurice's and Eric Beard's ashes lie there. So will mine!
              It goes back to the other hard men. Riiser Larsen, the 'dockter' who survived Dachau Concentration Camp and RAF Highgate that -doesn't exist.
              It goes back to the QueenMaudland and Corporal Leslie Quar and the Norwegians who never never made it back.
              Across the road at 'the shop' is Pitch Wilson's lad. I was with Pitch and Mary in Les Arcs only days ago.

And your connection?

Cheers

Norman
              Nothing more than reading "The Shetland Bus" as a child and an uncle who was Merchant Captain on the Artic Convoys. He survived them and the loss of 4 ships but these days we would call it PTSD.

Comment

Harrogate

Ah, the Shetland Bus- ? Howarth?. Quite a yarn but the Russian Convoys took it all.

I'm part of that elite group who wears the Norwegian Red Cross Mountain Rescue on my sleeve. Funny thing, I volunteered to go into 'small boats' and then RAF Mountain Rescue and then into Antarctica- when Leslie was killed.
                I ended up in an RAF Squadron who had the founder of the RAF teams who also was Outward Bound in Plas Y Brenin. My luck was in- and I helped form the Rescue Team up here in the Cheviots. Patience being rewarded!

My last( I hope) rescue was rescuing my wife. She chose the right bloke- in the right place! That's my story- and I am sticking to it

Norm

Comment

getting further OT

Ah, the Shetland Bus- ? Howarth?. Quite a yarn but the Russian Convoys took it all.

I'm part of that elite group who wears the Norwegian Red Cross Mountain Rescue on my sleeve. Funny thing, I volunteered to go into 'small boats' and then RAF Mountain Rescue and then into Antarctica- when Leslie was killed.
                  I ended up in an RAF Squadron who had the founder of the RAF teams who also was Outward Bound in Plas Y Brenin. My luck was in- and I helped form the Rescue Team up here in the Cheviots. Patience being rewarded!

My last( I hope) rescue was rescuing my wife. She chose the right bloke- in the right place! That's my story- and I am sticking to it

Norm
                  Plas-Y-Brenin and the RAF Mountain Rescue - I had the honour of riding down a mountain on a stretcher and then into the back of a RAF mountain rescue "Landy" after smashing my ankle on a leader fall inthe Llanberis pass. It wasnt a call out - they were just the RAF guys climbing on the next crag who happened to have a Rescue Landy with them but the wrong stretcher - it was way too long so I then had the privelege of having my broken ankle hanging out open door bouncing down the then very broken up road down to Bangor. The pantomime was complete when the stretcher would go round the corridors in the hospital -it was too long for them as well - so I had to hop on and off. Quite a laugh

Comment

Thomas,

York is worth a visit, not far from Harrogate. Nice old city, and the National Railway Museum is superb. As well as the obvious exhibits, there's an archive store room packed with all sorts of odd stuff, and there's a walkway that takes you through the restoration workshops above the lathes, milling machines, etc.

When in London, if you haven't been to the Science Museum, I think you'll like the marine engineering section, with its stunning models of Victorian ships' engines, etc. All the main museums are free. If you're doing a lot of travelling, think about buying an Oyster Card for travel on the underground and buses. It's supposed to work out cheaper than any other way of buying tickets.
                    Last edited by Asquith; 05-08-2008, 11:36 AM.

Comment

If you like steam, consider the North York Moors railway, or the Keighley & Worth Valley. The moors are very scenic anyway, especially if the weather is good. You could even go on to Whitby

http://www.nymr.co.uk/

http://www.kwvr.co.uk/

Tim
                      Last edited by Timleech; 05-08-2008, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Harrogate

Oh dear. All our yesterdays!

It was the late John Jackson who started it all. 'Jacko' was a member of RAF 31 Squadron in Burma and India. He had Eric Beard as his protegee and Eric was the finest hill man that I knew. We snowholed together in Norway and my wife skied with Jacko there. She never knew that her father and Jacko were together in the jungle. Must have been a very thick jungle!
                        I was with 31 at Hendon- hence my note to Thomas.
                        I'm still with the Squadron- I presume that some of us are - until 'the lost pilot formation' is enacted or whatever.

'Aviemoron' is obviously from 'the Hill' which I look onto and into the Lairig Ghru.

It's a small world.Take care. Mind the Kelpie

Cheers

Norm

Comment

Hi again folks!

I just travelled back to London yesterday, from Harrogate.
                          And I will stay here in London until Thursday.

It was a really great show, and I had to go to it all three days!
                          Time was flying so fast with all the things to see and buy.
                          Luckily I met and talked to John Stevenson (nice chap) at the Arc Euro Trade stand, and he gave me a free trade pass, so I only had to pay for the first day admission.

And yes I did get to buy a lot of stuff for my Myford, too much actually as my bags got so heavy I can hardly carry them for more than a few minutes at a time!

I hope I don't have to pay overweight at the airport [crossing fingers].

I will post some pictures from the show when I get home to Norway.

See you later!

Thomas

- Piet Hein

Comment

One question to Sir John:
                            When I met you at the show, you mentioned a museum or sight in London that I should visit.
                            I completely forgot what it was.

We talked about the science museum and RAF museum, but there was another place you found interesting, and recommended me.

Remember?
                            Thomas

- Piet Hein

Comment

I went to Harrogate on Saturday there didn't seem as many stalls as last year and was not as busy. A couple of stallholders I spoke to said they would not be returning next year as the cost of the stalls were to expensive.
                              There was some good exhibits to see, I liked the skeletons in the rowboat. I may not go next year I'll wait till next May before I decide.
                              MBB

Comment

Working...
                              X