Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey...You Birdbrains out there... (concerns the Gurl)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oldtiffie
    replied
    It only hurts when you laugh

Originally posted by Swarf&Sparks
    Mick, ya miserable bastid!
    Why didn't ya tell us "D" was your TA?

And watch them box trailers
    Thanks Lin.

That post sure did hit home!!!

"D" (my wife) my TA - not blo*dy likely - other way round more likely - well sort of.

But I sure am going to need her to help me repair my trailer - how embarrassing!!!

For those that don't know what Lin and I are talking about.

I bought a new Seig X3 mill the other day as I am going to CNC it. I will start another thread on it in the next few days.

I can't get it home until I repair my trailer!!!

This is an excerpt from my email to Lin that he refers to!!!

Thanks Lin.

Say Hi to "M" from "D" and I. We hope that all is and will continue to go well for you both.

It is the greatest regret in my life that it took me so long to realise what a gem I have in "D" and to tell and show her so!!

I've always been a strong believer in having women in the work-shop and doing that sort of stuff. They must be given the opportunity to see if they like it, are or can be good at it and if they want - to make a go of it.

The "shed" and "shop" being a "bloke thing" is pure bull-**** - always has been. Anyone with that attitude should never have come down from the tree to live in his cave.

As regards the CNC, as said I will pick up the X3 in the next week or so - when I fix the bloody trailer. I had the trailer on the back of the car with a low load on it to go to the tip. "D" was talking as we got into the car. I told her to "sh$t in it" - which she did - bad sign!!. Yours truly forgot about the trailer, looked out the rear window, didn't see the trailer, stuck it reverse and "went", trailer jack-knifed - bent RHS towing arm on trailer which in turn really dented and holed my car rear left guard - just below the petrol and LPG connection. That is going to hurt!!. "D" said nothing - wise girl - but managed to keep a straight face - just as well.
    So.

Having a woman in my shop is not only topical but a necessity so that I can repair the trailer at some considerable expense to pick up the X3 mill that she urged me to get!!!

You would not believe the number of people who have seen or heard about that trailer episode complete with what I did, how I did it and what I said. And I had to show them and explain it all.

"D" was very "nice" about it and didn't "rub it in" too much - but I think she enjoyed my discomfort.

"Pay-back time" - big time!!

I am sure the "Gurl" and most of your wives will relate to and laugh at and enjoy my predicament - all of my own making!!

I'm sure there's a message or a moral to all of this!!

Leave a comment:

• Swarf&Sparks
    replied
    Russ, pull your horns in man!
    Disregard the PMs.
    Advertising will do no good.

My TA gurlie is still here

hi from punkin

Leave a comment:

• torker
    replied
    Originally posted by Mcgyver
    hey Russ, dude, no disrespect intended, but imo you don't need to take on that role. Good intentions not withstanding I'm sure she can take care of herself, you can't be everywhere, but most importantly, if someone is acting inappropriately (i don;t know, didn't follow the other thread) it makes them look like the horses ass not her.
    Yer right... it's simple...there has already been some BS behaviour. Think for a minute... the PM's could be a problem(George has already expressed his own concerns about this).. So what is this.. are you guys pissed cuz I may read your PM's to her? LOL! Too damm bad isn't it?
    I already had one PM me this morning. He got drunk and was worried he'd sent her something out of line. That tells me I did the right thing.
    I can almost guarantee that some knucklehead here will do the same thing and kill her interest in the machining aspect of the place.
    I'm just waiting to see who it'll be.
    Father taking his daughter to the dance... geezuz... give it up for Christ Sake.
    This whole thing is starting to look like a poor idea.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Insert the Clown Photo now please.

Leave a comment:

• Swarf&Sparks
    replied
    Come to think of it Wolf, I've never seen a pic of your mug

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    "WOLFIE, wash out your mouth with soap and apologize to the group.. come on now.. It is not the 70s where a Cnt is a cnt.(old biker term for "(C)an't (U)nderstand (N)ORMAL (T)hinking). I actually saw a woman fighting for position at a 1%ER bar.. It didn't fare too well when she tried to knock me outa the way. She was a black belt and wanted to intimidate and bully the male chauvinists pigs. I hate bullies of all sexes and colors. "

What is it That I AM supposed to apologize for, David?
    Asking for a Decent Photo?

Leave a comment:

• Swarf&Sparks
    replied
    Mick, ya miserable bastid!
    Why didn't ya tell us "D" was your TA?

And watch them box trailers

Leave a comment:

• oldtiffie
    replied
    In line.

Originally posted by Swarf&Sparks
    I am not out of line here, I just posted my welcome to the gurl in the first thread.

As I said, I have a gurlie TA and housemate.
    She teaches me better cookin, I teach her some welding and machining.

And she DOES want sequins on her welding helmet.
    I was not being facetious. She's gonna buy a glue gun on monday!
    Thanks Lin.

I certainly did not think you were out of line - at all - and I know you don't think that I thought you were.

I thought your post was "right on", very understanding and topical.

Sequins on a welding helmet!! Wow - there's a step forward - "bling" in the shop!!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bling

I think that many of us have a woman "TA" (Trades Assistant?) in the shop.

I have and I'm proud of the fact and her - its my wife.

Even if she never comes near the shop - she does - I just would not have the shop I have or run it the way I do without her assistance and encouragement.

She's the best damned help and shoulder to lean/cry on and support and "back-stop" that I've got - and I've needed that more times over more time than I want to remember.

I am very lucky. Its just a damned shame that I didn't realise it or admit it to myself or tell her or realise what she meant or tell her that either until a long time - I wish to hell I'd had the brains and good sense to sort it out earlier. That's one of the great regrets in my life.

I suspect that I am not alone in this on this forum.

I am only thankful that so many women take us as we are.

The very least we can do is to return the complement to them.

From what I've seen the "Gurl" is eminently qualified in this regard.

How or what she does or does not call herself is her business and hers alone. We should respect that as we expect others to respect our choices in that regard.

She is one of us and I am sure and hope that she will take us for what we are - and that we treat her as one of us.

Leave a comment:

• Swarf&Sparks
    replied
    Yup, I'll echo McGgyver
    You're defending where no offense exists, Russ.
    Let the Gurl have her say.

Leave a comment:

• Dawai
    replied
    THE dance..

This whole thread is akin to a father taking his daughter to the dance, then getting mad if someone wants to dance with her. Over protective? Confused of his position in the world. RUSS, if someone was really ugly I am behind you, but I missed it.

I was curious about a "picture of the gurl" because of the "marine" running the 900 sex line on the 60 minutes television show. It was all front bells and whistles, all the while he collected the "900 line money". HE sure had a purty voice.

IF THERE IS A SUPERWOMAN OUT THERE, SHE is welcome here. I'd like to see if she looks like Uncle George thou. I am not in the market for a woman.

I can still recall the 250lb redheaded welder I adored so much, I could spot here in the middle of a group of men and all of them wearing tyvek paper suits... Something drawed me to her, her skill as a welder, her sense of humor. She scared the hell out of most men cause she dominated the "passed X-ray welds". She could kick most their asses as well. We'd go drinking in a bar after work, problem was she was attracted to the same women I was.

I am still curious to the comments made that were so hurtful. Ohh.. I must've been doing some "HOME MACHINIST WORKSHOP WORK" and missed them huh?

MOST you other HOME SHOP FORUM Members, notice I didn't say "Home shop machinists" are normally confused and look for a thing to argue over.. I missed Evan, he left out his two cents in this post. I could say "Hitler, Politics, or GUN, or machine gun plans" and as normal most you mental limited people would argue off on tangents like a missed ground to air missiles.

Who actually gives a rats ass? THERE IS A X in the top right corner if you don't like it. Press it and go away. I do quite regularly. It is much easier than traveling across country or countries and choking the living **** out of some moron. YES, you are responsible for your actions on a public forum.. Just as RUSS mentioned there, it can cause hard feelings that last a lifetime.

WOLFIE, wash out your mouth with soap and apologize to the group.. come on now.. It is not the 70s where a Cnt is a cnt.(old biker term for "(C)an't (U)nderstand (N)ORMAL (T)hinking). I actually saw a woman fighting for position at a 1%er bar.. It didn't fare too well when she tried to knock me outa the way. She was a black belt and wanted to intimidate and bully the male chauvinists pigs. I hate bullies of all sexes and colors.

PEOPLE are PEOPLE regardless of sexual attachments. Treat them like they treat you, be polite.. OR do us all a favor and press the X and go away.

I support valid topics of discussion, and metalworking projects here. Watch American choppers for DRAMA..

I'm pressing that x now.

Leave a comment:

• Mcgyver
    replied
    hey Russ, dude, no disrespect intended, but imo you don't need to take on that role. Good intentions not withstanding I'm sure she can take care of herself, you can't be everywhere, but most importantly, if someone is acting inappropriately (i don;t know, didn't follow the other thread) it makes them look like the horses ass not her.

Leave a comment:

• Swarf&Sparks
    replied
    I am not out of line here, I just posted my welcome to the gurl in the first thread.

As I said, I have a gurlie TA and housemate.
    She teaches me better cookin, I teach her some welding and machining.

And she DOES want sequins on her welding helmet.
    I was not being facetious. She's gonna buy a glue gun on monday!

Leave a comment:

• oldtiffie
    replied
    Thanks

Thanks Glen.

Good effort, and a well thought-out and good reply that is appreciated.

No one has "given me the message" in any shape or form. I don't doubt that some things I've said may have hurt or offended some. I apologise for most but not all of it as some was deliberate and hopefully aimed specifically - that's life.

In my opinion, and given the diversity of the members, the Forum/Board does very well in self-regulation. There are occasions where the "iron fist in velvet glove" approach is needed - and happens - by the Moderators - as George Bulliss advised and promptly showed he meant it.

The "down-hill slide" period and items seem to have been corrected adequately as far as I can see.

I have no problems with people at a meeting discussing others in general and anonymously and not specifically as regards instances or names.

I like a good vigorous debate/discussion. Provided that it is generally topical and "on-topic" and is informative.

That people sometimes will not "move" or will not "see" others points of view is inevitable. It goes "down-hill" when people start talking "at" each other instead of "with" or "to" each other, then its gets "personal" and invective as well as "OT".

When that happens the thread gets on the "slippery slide" and very heated. If the members can't stop it the Moderator must.

Leave a comment:

• PTSideshow
    replied
    oldtiffie It wasn't a group meeting, and it was mostly dealing with the off color and inappropriate comments and the calling of names. And some form of posted clearly spelled out rules for behavior in the posting on this forum.

In talking to the people from this board that were at NAMES. I don't think your name came up or was mentioned. The main thing people told VP was that the forum has been picking up speed on it's slide down hill.

There was no promises made or statements by any person from VP or other wise of any action taken or going to be taken. Other than they are planing some changes and that they were looking into a Code of behavior page.

As torker and others have said the inappropriate off color comments to his gurl's announcement of here landing here.
    was beyond juvenile. As most children and juveniles, have a better idea of when and were their comments are used.

I have not taken part in or received any emails or pm campaign regarding you or anybody else. Having to do with this forum, Also I know of no such thing.

If the parties that are posting offensive items have been contacted by agents of VP, I am unaware of that also.

As to anybody pleading their case or talking to agents of VP. They are as anyone on this board. Can contact VP at their email, pm or contact the moderator by phone or snail mail. As George has said here and at NAMES.

Personally I don't have much problem with the OT stuff as I do with the off color,stupid, name calling behavior. Just for somebody to feel good about themselves.

And as to pointing out what the reporting icon is and suggesting it be used by any one that finds a post offensive.
    I feel this is the moderators tool put there by the people that own this board. And a lot of people may not know what its use is.

As torker stated at the start of this, thread it is to bad that adults are acting the way they did . Because a woman has chosen to to post and reveal the fact that they are a woman.
    They have been woman on here before that post but because of the silliness and stupidity of some members. Make sure that the fact isn't well known.

What would they do if The moderator of their other site for the live steam magazine was here. The moderator is Ms. Clover McKinley.

From what others said to me that were attending NAMES, was the VP staff was taking all information along with the fact that some of the biggest offending posters have been on it a long time. And do what is needed to continue the smooth operation of this forum.

And if anybody has sent you a pm or email that I am leading some vast conspiracy to get people blocked etc. They are suffering from bigger problems than bad taste in their posting habits.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    In other words Quit Hijacking threads for your own little agendas.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X