Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey...You Birdbrains out there... (concerns the Gurl)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup, I'll echo McGgyver
    You're defending where no offense exists, Russ.
    Let the Gurl have her say.
    Just got my head together
    now my body's falling apart

Comment

In line.

Originally posted by Swarf&Sparks
      I am not out of line here, I just posted my welcome to the gurl in the first thread.

As I said, I have a gurlie TA and housemate.
      She teaches me better cookin, I teach her some welding and machining.

And she DOES want sequins on her welding helmet.
      I was not being facetious. She's gonna buy a glue gun on monday!
      Thanks Lin.

I certainly did not think you were out of line - at all - and I know you don't think that I thought you were.

I thought your post was "right on", very understanding and topical.

Sequins on a welding helmet!! Wow - there's a step forward - "bling" in the shop!!
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bling

I think that many of us have a woman "TA" (Trades Assistant?) in the shop.

I have and I'm proud of the fact and her - its my wife.

Even if she never comes near the shop - she does - I just would not have the shop I have or run it the way I do without her assistance and encouragement.

She's the best damned help and shoulder to lean/cry on and support and "back-stop" that I've got - and I've needed that more times over more time than I want to remember.

I am very lucky. Its just a damned shame that I didn't realise it or admit it to myself or tell her or realise what she meant or tell her that either until a long time - I wish to hell I'd had the brains and good sense to sort it out earlier. That's one of the great regrets in my life.

I suspect that I am not alone in this on this forum.

I am only thankful that so many women take us as we are.

The very least we can do is to return the complement to them.

From what I've seen the "Gurl" is eminently qualified in this regard.

How or what she does or does not call herself is her business and hers alone. We should respect that as we expect others to respect our choices in that regard.

She is one of us and I am sure and hope that she will take us for what we are - and that we treat her as one of us.

Comment

Mick, ya miserable bastid!
        Why didn't ya tell us "D" was your TA?

And watch them box trailers

Comment

"WOLFIE, wash out your mouth with soap and apologize to the group.. come on now.. It is not the 70s where a Cnt is a cnt.(old biker term for "(C)an't (U)nderstand (N)ORMAL (T)hinking). I actually saw a woman fighting for position at a 1%ER bar.. It didn't fare too well when she tried to knock me outa the way. She was a black belt and wanted to intimidate and bully the male chauvinists pigs. I hate bullies of all sexes and colors. "

What is it That I AM supposed to apologize for, David?
          Asking for a Decent Photo?

Comment

Come to think of it Wolf, I've never seen a pic of your mug

Comment

Insert the Clown Photo now please.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver
                hey Russ, dude, no disrespect intended, but imo you don't need to take on that role. Good intentions not withstanding I'm sure she can take care of herself, you can't be everywhere, but most importantly, if someone is acting inappropriately (i don;t know, didn't follow the other thread) it makes them look like the horses ass not her.
                Yer right... it's simple...there has already been some BS behaviour. Think for a minute... the PM's could be a problem(George has already expressed his own concerns about this).. So what is this.. are you guys pissed cuz I may read your PM's to her? LOL! Too damm bad isn't it?
                I already had one PM me this morning. He got drunk and was worried he'd sent her something out of line. That tells me I did the right thing.
                I can almost guarantee that some knucklehead here will do the same thing and kill her interest in the machining aspect of the place.
                I'm just waiting to see who it'll be.
                Father taking his daughter to the dance... geezuz... give it up for Christ Sake.
                This whole thing is starting to look like a poor idea.
                I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Russ, pull your horns in man!
                  Disregard the PMs.
                  Advertising will do no good.

My TA gurlie is still here

hi from punkin

Comment

It only hurts when you laugh

Mick, ya miserable bastid!
                    Why didn't ya tell us "D" was your TA?

And watch them box trailers
                    Thanks Lin.

That post sure did hit home!!!

"D" (my wife) my TA - not blo*dy likely - other way round more likely - well sort of.

But I sure am going to need her to help me repair my trailer - how embarrassing!!!

For those that don't know what Lin and I are talking about.

I bought a new Seig X3 mill the other day as I am going to CNC it. I will start another thread on it in the next few days.

I can't get it home until I repair my trailer!!!

This is an excerpt from my email to Lin that he refers to!!!

Thanks Lin.

Say Hi to "M" from "D" and I. We hope that all is and will continue to go well for you both.

It is the greatest regret in my life that it took me so long to realise what a gem I have in "D" and to tell and show her so!!

I've always been a strong believer in having women in the work-shop and doing that sort of stuff. They must be given the opportunity to see if they like it, are or can be good at it and if they want - to make a go of it.

The "shed" and "shop" being a "bloke thing" is pure bull-**** - always has been. Anyone with that attitude should never have come down from the tree to live in his cave.

As regards the CNC, as said I will pick up the X3 in the next week or so - when I fix the bloody trailer. I had the trailer on the back of the car with a low load on it to go to the tip. "D" was talking as we got into the car. I told her to "sh$t in it" - which she did - bad sign!!. Yours truly forgot about the trailer, looked out the rear window, didn't see the trailer, stuck it reverse and "went", trailer jack-knifed - bent RHS towing arm on trailer which in turn really dented and holed my car rear left guard - just below the petrol and LPG connection. That is going to hurt!!. "D" said nothing - wise girl - but managed to keep a straight face - just as well.
                    So.

Having a woman in my shop is not only topical but a necessity so that I can repair the trailer at some considerable expense to pick up the X3 mill that she urged me to get!!!

You would not believe the number of people who have seen or heard about that trailer episode complete with what I did, how I did it and what I said. And I had to show them and explain it all.

"D" was very "nice" about it and didn't "rub it in" too much - but I think she enjoyed my discomfort.

"Pay-back time" - big time!!

I am sure the "Gurl" and most of your wives will relate to and laugh at and enjoy my predicament - all of my own making!!

I'm sure there's a message or a moral to all of this!!

Comment

Ya gotta love em Mick

She still make scones and tea for ya?

Comment

How it is

Ya gotta love em Mick

She still make scones and tea for ya?
                        Yep.

With the occassional "cold shoulder" sandwich and given my age and decrepitude - no crumpet at all!!

Comment

Russ, pull your horns in man!
                          Disregard the PMs.
                          Advertising will do no good.

My TA gurlie is still here

hi from punkin
                          "Pull in my horns???
                          OK...this thing has gotten way out of hand.
                          My mailbox has been filled for two days now..guys falling over themselves apologizing...giving advice etc.
                          The last two.. a few minutes ago suggest that I ask the gurl not to post anymore..we can all see where this is heading.
                          READ THIS!!!
                          She came to work for me in my shop about a year ago. I made mention of her progress. Showed off a couple pics of her work. She deserved the recognition... or so I thought.
                          Yup.. I'm really proud of her accomplishments.
                          MANY of you here wanted me to get her to post here.... to become involved.
                          I was a bit reluctant to do that. Now I see why.
                          So far you've called her a "sideshow", "a talking dog".. there's been some very rude comments about her along the way.
                          I've recieved some rude PM's about her along the way. I choose not to discuss what was said... it was rude.
                          Now.. I'm the Father with the daughter at the dance... ya.. whatever.
                          What a load of crap this has turned out to be. A dozen PM's this morning alone?
                          I had no idea all this crap would hit the fan.
                          This was all supposed to be lighthearted and a bit of fun.
                          And don't tell me to lighten up.. stop being protective.. whatever.
                          The morons here who PM'd me wanting to know if we are boinking each other caused that.
                          Yep.. seems your right.. I invited her into a cigar smokin bar and I was obviously wrong.
                          All I saw all along was a true "craftsman"... who just happened to be a woman. I did and still do find it an oddity. I enjoy showing people what she can do.
                          After all this.. I see no reason to encourage her to join "the bunch".
                          It's up to her now... if she wants to stay on here or not.
                          Russ

Comment

Stay in there!!

Russ.

I sincerely hope that the girl does stay.

Don't let the "clever dicks", "sleazes" and cowards who hide behind anonymity and their screens deprive her of her rights on this forum.

Some just might have the decency to realise that they have stepped over the line and apologise and mend their ways.

The snide gutless wonders will never change and should be ignored. Giving them any attention "on screen" will only encourage them. If they email or PM you or the girl, I'd suggest forwarding those messages to VP or George Bulliss or Craig Foster. I hope that would see the end of their offending "antics" at least or alternatively the end of them on this forum - and good riddance.

I expect that this will all wash over in a day or so.

I'd also think that all of this may have a good side as well. There is no way that anyone will not know that we have a contributing woman on the forum and that she is very welcome and supported by the vast majority here.

We all like to post what we've done in the shop and to comment on other posts and to ask answer questions. I expect that she is no different.

We are all better for participating on this forum - particularly as it relates to the shop.

And that "we" includes the girl.

Comment

Punkin, the TA
                              I think you are getting over worked with this issue.

why don't you let the Gurl make her own comments about the situation?

Punkin

Comment

So why doesn't "punkin" register?
                                Punkin should read the last line of my last post.
                                And I really should be out riding dirtbikes.. only it's pi$$in down rain..

Comment

Working...
                                X