Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey...You Birdbrains out there... (concerns the Gurl)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch
    replied
    Come on guys. Women can like metalworking.

Seems like a couple reactions happen when a female shows up. Everyone wants to say hello because she is a girl and then some one gets his jockeys in a twist because off all the attention.

Same thing happens in a gun club.

So to thegurl, welcome, ask questions, post pictures and enjoy. Same to all the rest that recently joined. We be a band of brothers with a few sisters included

Clutch

Leave a comment:

• sconisbee
    replied
    I was going to stay out of it, but as its out in the open anyway i thought i would add my thoughts.

I for one know that gender has bugger all to do with talent/skills when it comes to this kind of thing, the 2 best welders and the best design engineer i know are all women, now heres the thing, it should not matter what a person calls themselves, it should not matter if they are male or female, what counts is the skill and knowledge thats all....

I dont blame torker for defending the gurl (i also dont see any reason why she shouldnt use "the gurl" as her identity on here as we *all* know of her and her work by that name and its not an insulting one).... I would also hazard a guess that had the gurl been a guy working for torker and had learned the same and done as good a work and become friends with him then i would not be surprised int he least if torker would step up and defend him also, cause all this crap has nothing to do with the fact shes female it has to do with general manners and how we accept and respect other people. so I suggest everyone take a step backwards and look at this objectivly...

For a long time now I and many others have noticed and commented on the fact that fewer and fewer people are getting into this trade, whether for hobby of work does not matter, so when someone new and enthusiastic turns up she gets the run around from the few prats here just because shes a woman, thats nuts and im willing to bet you all know it.

Fact is "the gurl" is a better welder than i am and i couldnt care less if i admit it or not, and i wouldnt in the least feel imasculated by learning from her. Once again gender means F'all in the grand scheme of things and i hope you all get over yourselfs take a deep breath and let it drop as I for one hope that the gurl continutes to post here and is not put off by the unfortunate ramblings of the minority.

Torker, you have my upmost respect for standing up for a friend and collegue and that shows alot of respect for the gurl and her work, and shows alot for the type of good guy you are, i dont blame you for thinking that it might not be a good idea to encorage her to post here but i hope she decides to continue.

And for what its worth, why the hell does it matter what she or any of us to that matter looks like? hell the gurl could be a talking carrot for all i care (not that im calling her a carrot just making a point) as what matters the most is skill and knowledge of which she has plenty.

So with that said...

Torker: Good on you for supporting and standing by new talent in this industry.

The Gurl: I hope we get to see more of you posting and more of your outstanding work as you learn more and i hope we have a chance to learn from you also.

To the rest of you: Stop and think a little before you post, theres no need for fighting here, theres no need for arguments. A handle on here is just that a handle an online identity thats link to yourself, it matters not what that name is.

So how about we just let this drop and move on those of you that have been callous and rude towards our new member should apologise, and the rest of us including myself should really keep our beaks outta it. Let her work speak for her not her "handle" Dont change the way you are just because shes female, but do treat her with the respect she deserves and hopefully we shall get the chance to see more of her work and learn from her as i hope she will learn from us, as i have learned from you guys in the past.

So how about we just all move on to a new subject something we can learn from instead of argue about.
    Last edited by sconisbee; 05-11-2008, 01:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Swarf&Sparks
    replied
    "Ewwwwwwwww Yuck"

?

Leave a comment:

• torker
    replied
    Originally posted by Swarf&Sparks
    Yup, tried that.
    But the board spat it's dummy.

Even after logging off, it saw the same IP and would not allow a new account.
    That's odd...the gurl registered through my computer.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Ewwwwwwwww Yuck

Leave a comment:

• Swarf&Sparks
    replied
    ""SHE" had a parrot on her shoulder."
    any time

Leave a comment:

• Swarf&Sparks
    replied
    Yup, tried that.
    But the board spat it's dummy.

Even after logging off, it saw the same IP and would not allow a new account.

Leave a comment:

• torker
    replied
    Originally posted by IOWOLF
    Punkin, Got any Photos?
    Jay.. I think you already saw a pic of "punkin". "SHE" had a parrot on her shoulder.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Punkin, Got any Photos?

Leave a comment:

• torker
    replied
    So why doesn't "punkin" register?
    Punkin should read the last line of my last post.
    And I really should be out riding dirtbikes.. only it's pi$$in down rain..

Leave a comment:

• Swarf&Sparks
    replied
    Punkin, the TA
    I think you are getting over worked with this issue.

why don't you let the Gurl make her own comments about the situation?

Punkin

Leave a comment:

• oldtiffie
    replied
    Stay in there!!

Russ.

I sincerely hope that the girl does stay.

Don't let the "clever dicks", "sleazes" and cowards who hide behind anonymity and their screens deprive her of her rights on this forum.

Some just might have the decency to realise that they have stepped over the line and apologise and mend their ways.

The snide gutless wonders will never change and should be ignored. Giving them any attention "on screen" will only encourage them. If they email or PM you or the girl, I'd suggest forwarding those messages to VP or George Bulliss or Craig Foster. I hope that would see the end of their offending "antics" at least or alternatively the end of them on this forum - and good riddance.

I expect that this will all wash over in a day or so.

I'd also think that all of this may have a good side as well. There is no way that anyone will not know that we have a contributing woman on the forum and that she is very welcome and supported by the vast majority here.

We all like to post what we've done in the shop and to comment on other posts and to ask answer questions. I expect that she is no different.

We are all better for participating on this forum - particularly as it relates to the shop.

And that "we" includes the girl.

Leave a comment:

• torker
    replied
    Russ, pull your horns in man!
    Disregard the PMs.
    Advertising will do no good.

My TA gurlie is still here

hi from punkin
    "Pull in my horns???
    OK...this thing has gotten way out of hand.
    My mailbox has been filled for two days now..guys falling over themselves apologizing...giving advice etc.
    The last two.. a few minutes ago suggest that I ask the gurl not to post anymore..we can all see where this is heading.
    READ THIS!!!
    She came to work for me in my shop about a year ago. I made mention of her progress. Showed off a couple pics of her work. She deserved the recognition... or so I thought.
    Yup.. I'm really proud of her accomplishments.
    MANY of you here wanted me to get her to post here.... to become involved.
    I was a bit reluctant to do that. Now I see why.
    So far you've called her a "sideshow", "a talking dog".. there's been some very rude comments about her along the way.
    I've recieved some rude PM's about her along the way. I choose not to discuss what was said... it was rude.
    Now.. I'm the Father with the daughter at the dance... ya.. whatever.
    What a load of crap this has turned out to be. A dozen PM's this morning alone?
    I had no idea all this crap would hit the fan.
    This was all supposed to be lighthearted and a bit of fun.
    And don't tell me to lighten up.. stop being protective.. whatever.
    The morons here who PM'd me wanting to know if we are boinking each other caused that.
    Yep.. seems your right.. I invited her into a cigar smokin bar and I was obviously wrong.
    All I saw all along was a true "craftsman"... who just happened to be a woman. I did and still do find it an oddity. I enjoy showing people what she can do.
    After all this.. I see no reason to encourage her to join "the bunch".
    It's up to her now... if she wants to stay on here or not.
    Russ

Leave a comment:

• oldtiffie
    replied
    How it is

Ya gotta love em Mick

She still make scones and tea for ya?
    Yep.

With the occassional "cold shoulder" sandwich and given my age and decrepitude - no crumpet at all!!

Leave a comment:

• Swarf&Sparks
    replied
    Ya gotta love em Mick

She still make scones and tea for ya?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X