Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bandsaws.. coolant or no... (my opinion)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IOWOLF
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by Michael Edwards
    I like the "LUBE TUBE" from Lenox. I got it from the local saw blade repair guy. I originally used it for a 10" carbide tipped chop saw on aluminum and it worked great. I like it a lot better than the old stick of bee's wax my dad had left over, it seems to work better and it is cleaner. It also woks great on a bandsaw on aluminum. Never used it on any thing else.

ME
    That works well on a lot of stuff, LPS 2 works on alum sawing with carbide saws.
    A guy I know saws up diesel aluminum truck tanks with a 7" skill saw.

he can cut an end off one in about 10 minutes and leave the flair to put it in another tank.

Leave a comment:

• clutch
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul Alciatore
    I have a 4X6 and the blades seem to fail with stress cracks. I have examined them, thinking that I should try to splice them, but I can always see more cracks forming so it does not appear to be worth the effort. I am in the oil bottle/dripping a bit as the cut progresses group at present.

So, does coolant help to prevent the blades from developing stress cracks?
    Most of my experience is with band mills for cutting lumber. I suspect, as your band gets dull, you tend to push it harder causing the cracks in the gullet. Since your bands are not resharpenable unlike my wood bands, I guess it doesn't matter for you. For me, I stop and change the band to save its life.

Clutch

Leave a comment:

• BadDog
    replied
    Ha! I thought I was the only one that built contraptions like that! I've got a whole pile of shorts/drops/scrap that I stick together into some of the saddest looking fixtures ever seen. But I think that one may top even my most convoluted ever...

Leave a comment:

• quasi
    replied
    Evan, your stock stand is very interesting. Can you provide details on it sometime?

Leave a comment:

• Michael Edwards
    replied
    Originally posted by DICKEYBIRD
    Most of my 4X6 bandsaw work has been vertical lately and the tube of saw wax sounds great. Do you just get "saw wax" from Enco or whomever and use it on alum and CRS or are there different types for different metals?
    I like the "LUBE TUBE" from Lenox. I got it from the local saw blade repair guy. I originally used it for a 10" carbide tipped chop saw on aluminum and it worked great. I like it a lot better than the old stick of bee's wax my dad had left over, it seems to work better and it is cleaner. It also woks great on a bandsaw on aluminum. Never used it on any thing else.

ME

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Evan- Do you think you can get a bigger piece in there?
    Heh.

Leave a comment:

• madman
    replied
    No Coolant

I never use coolant cutting D2 . I was always taught not to use coolant on this material only??

Leave a comment:

• IOWOLF
    Guest replied
    Coolant all the way, IMHO

Or cool air jet, mister, they all will increase blade life.

The mess, It is just a minor inconvenience.

Leave a comment:

• beckley23
    replied
    Evan- Do you think you can get a bigger piece in there?

Seriously, there are a couple other factors that enter into blade life besides coolant, which I consider a necessity. Use the correct SFPM on the blade and break in the blade. DoAll and some other mfg recommend that the blade be run at reduced speeds for the first several hundred square inches of cutting. It's as if the teeth are too sharp and need to be dulled a slight bit. It may not be a necessity for you, but in my operation it does make a difference, that I learned the expensive way, once. My bands cost approx 50.00 ea, and with good practices I can get hundreds , or thousands, of pieces cut depending on material, without changing it.

A couple other suggestions.
    Use the coarsest tooth pitch possible, at least 3 teeth in the cut. Don't let the blade skim the cut, you want to see nice curly chips, not dustings.
    Harry

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Sure saves the blades on long cuts.
    Yep, it sure does.

Leave a comment:

• DICKEYBIRD
    replied
    Originally posted by lane
    I bought a tube of saw wax for my Grob vertical band saw and that in its self mad a world of difference.
    Most of my 4X6 bandsaw work has been vertical lately and the tube of saw wax sounds great. Do you just get "saw wax" from Enco or whomever and use it on alum and CRS or are there different types for different metals?

Leave a comment:

• Fasttrack
    replied
    Originally posted by Lew Hartswick
    Some people shouldn't be alowed to touch a machinetool.
    ...lew...

AMEN! Thats how the tools are here in the shops I've been working in. I saw a guy trying to cut a piece of .125 Ti plate in a bandsaw with a blade that was meant for aluminum. Not sure what the TPI was before he got there, but by the time he left there weren't any teeth left

And the worst part is ... I'm a freshman - I've got no authority over these guys. Some of them are full time hired guys and the best I can do is offer "friendly" suggestions. I don't want to come off as a prick or a "know-it-all" and I don't mind starting at the bottom of the wrung ... but ... the way they treat tools...

Leave a comment:

• lane
    replied
    Yes I am all for the coolant . Have it on my 7x10 wells . Sure saves the blades on long cuts. But then again I dont always turn it on . I bought a tube of saw wax for my Grob vertical band saw and that in its self mad a world of difference. So it all boils down to personal preference. coolant is some what messy. But I have never seen a clean machine shop .

Leave a comment:

• Lew Hartswick
    replied
    Originally posted by torker
    However.. my point is.. coolant does make a big difference in blade life.
    Russ
    :-) Only if the creatures using it know how to use a bandsaw in the
    first place. :-)
    The Kalamazo (sp?) at school has coolant but the blades last about
    a week or sometimes less before half the teeth are striped off. :-(

Some people shouldn't be alowed to touch a machinetool.
    ...lew...

Leave a comment:

• BobWarfield
    replied
    Nice setup, Evan.

I always thought it would be handy to have a self-contained portable mister for machines less often used. Never made one up, but it wouldn't be hard.

Cheers,

BW

Leave a comment:

Working...
X