OT: CPAP Repairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: CPAP Repairs

I know CPAPs have been discussed here before. I have been on one for several years and it has failed for an unknown reason. My doctor advises that I should definitely continue with it, but my insurance has a $500 deductable which has not been met this year. The repair estimate from the company that provided the machine is about $536 so insurance pays $36 and I get the rest. They claim it needs a new computer board. Medical = excuse to vacuum out your wallet.

I am just wondering if there is any alternative for getting it repaired. Any body got any thoughts or experience here?
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

That is a rather precision machine and your life depends on it - if it were mine I'd dump it (after I took it apart to see how they work).

I made up my mind that if mine goes out I'm going to tell the insurance company to go to hell and I'm going to buy one out of pocket. I went the insurance route and they paid hundreds more than I would have, and I got an inferior product (no data collecting). I swear they jack up the street price by the deductible amount.

What gets me is having to have a prescription to replace the face mask. What a load of cpap that is.

Comment

Here's a new unit with humidifier for about $460.....Have you contacted the manufacturer directly about repairs?....Sometimes the factory repair route is best.....Lots of stuff available on Ebay.....

I've been on CPAP 3 years now.....

Jim

Comment

I have been on cpap 16 years and have had new masks every 3 months hoses etc and 3rd machine and it hasn't cost me a bean come to the uk were it's free inc all maintenance and parts.sorry my little gloat surely if we can afford it you guys in usa can.Alistair
        Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Yes, I know medical stuff is a racket here in the US. Prescriptions are worlds cheaper in other countries, including Canada and Mexico. We (US citizens) are paying through the nose just because the medical providers know they can. The price is calculated by back figuring from what they figure the user can dig up. Then if the insurance pays 75%, the price is four times the user's amount. It has absolutely nothing to do with actual manufacturing costs. What I can't figure out is who is getting/keeping all the money. It would seem that if drug and medical manufacturers are raking in the cash, their stock would be a very, VERY good investment. But it isn't. If it was I would have lots of it. At least not for the common investor. But someone must be really rich. I mean really, REALLY rich.

As for my life depending on it, I doubt it. It has been broken since last summer. I sleep OK, but my doctor wants me back on it. I have to wonder how much of that $500 he gets. I need to check out what level of mansion he lives in. And summer home. And winter get-away. And .....

Thanks for the responses.
          Paul A.

Make it fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie
            I have been on cpap 16 years and have had new masks every 3 months hoses etc and 3rd machine and it hasn't cost me a bean come to the uk were it's free inc all maintenance and parts.sorry my little gloat surely if we can afford it you guys in usa can.Alistair
            I wouldn't feel right asking strangers to pay for my health care. I'd feel even less right if they asked me to pay for theirs. And I'd get down right cranky if I paid for someone's health care and the government got all the credit.

How much does free cost over there? On this side we can't afford free

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore

As for my life depending on it, I doubt it. It has been broken since last summer. I sleep OK, but my doctor wants me back on it. I have to wonder how much of that $500 he gets. I need to check out what level of mansion he lives in. And summer home. And winter get-away. And .....
              Just so you know, not using it isn't at all the same as using a defective one. There's all manner of problems you can have of the delivery isn't as prescribed. I don't mind the doctor getting a piece of it - he's got bills to pay and payroll to meet, and absurd insurance payments to keep up with. And he's part of the solution. I just don't like to see the insurance money being thrown around like it was easy to come by. I don't think insurance should be like a lottery you always win as some people do, but there is a balance to be had.

And I still wonder what kind of air pump they use in the cpap machine. Nothing reciprocal, for sure, and darn quiet for a meshed gear pump.

Comment

I have been on CPAP since 1994 give or take. My latest machine is showing 18,000 hours and doing fine. Mine runs at 90mm H2O. My last mask covers nose and mouth. This mask is 100% better than the nose only type. I buy my equipment on-line out of pocket. My currant supplyer is in the San Diego, CA. There are newer types coming out all the time.
                You will know you need it if a listener says you stop breathing during sleep on a regular basis. I need mine mostly in the first half of my sleep time. Of course there are other reasons to need a CPAP.

Not using a CPAP if it is needed may injure the heart among a long list of other possible damage. Consider the money well spent.
                Jim

Comment

man oh man, i'm laughing my butt off here.
                  first, some background....
                  most of my work is cRap, and when i fix it, i have to do cRap repairs.
                  i read the title of this thread as CRAP repairs (and figured it had to do with shoddy work). i probably got through five replies before i realized you guys weren't talking about repairing junk. well, maybe some folks would consider the discussion to actually be about repairing junk, but that is another topic.
                  i actually had to do a search on CPAP to see what you WERE talking about.

andy b.
                  The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Andy,

Sorry about the confusion. And thanks for the laugh.

All,

Thanks for the discussion and ideas. I am searching on the web and finding many repair facilities. I guess I was hoping for at least one specific recomendation from someone who used one of them, but I guess I will have to take a chance.

Thanks again.
                    Paul A.

Make it fit.

Comment

Sorry about that!

I omitted the link from my earlier post:

http://www.advanscpap.com/cpap-machines/hc220Le.html

Seems like there's lots of equipment and supplies available at far less than medical supply store prices.....

Jim

Comment

I wouldn't feel right asking strangers to pay for my health care
                        D P your not asking them to pay anything for you you and your family pay all your working lives for this service use it or not it's only free at the point of delivery, otherwise you pay for it just like you pay for your car insurance. When you have an accident with your car you don't feel like someone else is paying for you repairs although thats what happens. Just think of all the years you paid and didn't get anything for your money .We have a great sytem in the uk same as Canada we don't expect our elderly to sell their houses to pay for an operation they get it courtesy of all the years they paid and others too. And they dont have to worry about getting old and sick.Alistair
                        Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

CPAP
                          that's constant positive airway pressure?
                          Just got my head together
                          now my body's falling apart

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie
                            I wouldn't feel right asking strangers to pay for my health care
                            D P your not asking them to pay anything for you you and your family pay all your working lives for this service use it or not it's only free at the point of delivery, otherwise you pay for it just like you pay for your car insurance.
                            Ah - well that pretty well describes what I have now. I guess a difference is, over here if I quit paying they quit insuring.

Comment

Working...
                            X