Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And now for a machining topic,I hope the Gurl don't mind.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And now for a machining topic,I hope the Gurl don't mind.

Home made riser for Wells Index, 7" is a bit much but I didn't want to do it twice.

Excuse the clutter.

Very nice. Now you just need to paint it all a nice green color
    Stuart de Haro

Comment

Mr. Wolf: Did you "turn" them with the mill? Gary P. Hansen
      In memory of Marine Engineer Paul Miller who gave his life for his country 7-19-2010 Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Freedom is not free, it is paid for with blood.

Comment

Hmm, good job and easy to fab and machine. Better than a solid bar.
        It's only ink and paper

Comment

How did you achieve your parallelism?

I was interested in building one for an older Grizzly I had so I could do Head work on it

Comment

I "turned them" on a 20" lathe.

It is parallel with in .002,The lathe is WW1 vintage.

And of course, you always Tram when you move anything on a Mill.

Comment

I would be inclined to add some more metal around the rim bridging the top to the bottom. Steel is really bendy compared to cast iron. Just by making it taller even if it was cast it would lessen the rigidity.
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

What make is your 20" lathe? WWI is almost new, mine is closing in on 100 years old. Gary P. Hansen
                In memory of Marine Engineer Paul Miller who gave his life for his country 7-19-2010 Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Freedom is not free, it is paid for with blood.

Comment

Not my lathe,I had to trade some time on it for some work.

Monarch, BTW

Comment

I'm gonna be hounded as a smart-arse here, but has anyone heard of "Young's modulus"?
                    Just got my head together
                    now my body's falling apart

Comment

Nice bit of work... I see gusset plates welded in. I'd guess you did not use 1/8" pipe for it maybe schedule 80 so it should be fine. As with anything more height means more flex... so it take three passes instead of two. But he has more daylight under the business end to work with.
                      Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Comment

Tink, that is 3/8" wall 10"dia. tube, $8.00 an Inch.

Comment

Hi Mr North American Wolf, (not the pr**k we think you are) LOL.
                          Just keepin it polictacly correct.
                          Nice job, but a couple of questions if you dont mind. Are the top and bottoms full plates or just rings? Do you have any internal gussets or stiffeners inside the tube ? O.K. three questions, did you do any engineering calcs or just a ''gut feeling'' approach?
                          Steve

Comment

I like it. I see you've got two mills. Seems like a riser on one and leaving the other one "stock" is a good solution. You've got rigidity and capacity, just not neccessarily in the same machine

Seriously though, nice job. You should have used a stick welder instead of mig though ... sticks are cooler

Comment

Originally posted by doctor demo
                              Hi Mr North American Wolf, (not the pr**k we think you are) LOL.
                              Just keepin it polictacly correct.You don't need to with me.
                              Nice job, but a couple of questions if you dont mind. Are the top and bottoms full plates or just rings? Full 1/2" plates,cut on CNC plasma table. Do you have any internal gussets or stiffeners inside the tube ? I didn't think I would need it with 3/8" tube.O.K. three questions, did you do any engineering calcs or just a ''gut feeling'' approach? You have got to be kidding, Calculations? ROTFLMFAO.Build it strong, and then some. This has never failed me.
                              Steve
                              Thanx for the Intrest.

Comment

Working...
                              X