Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Locking Threads

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Locking Threads

    Hi to all interested parties,
    I do not want to srart a war, and I'm not taking sides but.....
    If one thread gets locked that is somewhat politicaly connected to another thread , to be fair shouldn't both or all the related threads be locked also?

    Steve

  • #2
    He has a point.
    But then again, Where does it stop, with Communism?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Chipslinger
      He has a point.
      But then again, Where does it stop, with Communism?
      He Who has a point, the lockee or the locker or Me ?

      Comment


      • #4
        You do.A good one.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by doctor demo
          Hi to all interested parties,
          I do not want to start a war, and I'm not taking sides but.....
          If one thread gets locked that is somewhat politicaly connected to another thread , to be fair shouldn't both or all the related threads be locked also?

          Steve

          I think it boils down to start your own website, attract members, and effect what policies you want. Unlike Usenet, this is a owned board where those that own it set the rules and other than speaking your mind your only choices are stay or leave.

          Clutch

          Comment


          • #6
            Welcome to the moderators dilemma.

            There is no absolute answer.

            Some Google groups are basically un-moderated, and have "free speech", with at least 80 percent spam.

            Some Yahoo groups, with willing moderators, everything finally turns into a political rant (in a machining related group).

            Harold and Don run Chaski and PM with no recourse. (Don did lock a thread about Chinese products sold by one of the advertisers on the title bar. Don't know if that's still his policy, it's been pointed out.)

            If I were the absolute ruler, (umm Moderator) I would try to do the right thing, probably screw it up a fair amount.

            The alternative for the disgruntled, is to start a new group. Recruit like thinkers, and move on.

            Moderators are people, they make decisions based on their past experience. Some decisions are better than others.

            Comment


            • #7
              Everyone should just head on over to bbssystem, that guy lets ya say anything!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by mechanicalmagic
                The alternative for the disgruntled, is to start a new group. Recruit like thinkers, and move on.
                You can always post mildly nonsensical crap to the thread. It's a good community barometer; anyone else completely fed up with the thread tends to post their own nonsensical crap, and pretty soon a thread on Communism is now about Legos.

                Another approach is just to declare the thread about something else:

                "This thead is now about my highschool reunion."

                This method is incredibly effective on other boards, I haven't really seen it used on the three machining boards.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I don't understand the whole "locked thread" deal.

                  If a thread is that obnoxious, I would just delete it. Otherwise let it burn out on its own.

                  Locking it "freezes it" against additions but leaves every obnoxious comment in place for all to see.

                  Since the objectionable part is not in the future (and hence unknown) part, but in what has already been posted, "locking" seems to serve no purpose whatever, aside from removing the "active sandbox". If whatever was posted is outside the boundaries established for the forum, why would you want to keep it available?

                  I, unlike some others, see nothing wrong with deleting obnoxious stuff. Sure, it is "censorship", and so what?

                  I have seen other forums completely go down the tubes from non-moderation, to the point that they simply got closed down as beyond repair. If you establish rules, and people decide to violate the rules, they violate the "social contract" and put themselves outside the group.

                  Just as nobody forces a person to post to or read the forum, I see no reason why a few "bullies" should be able to force the forum owner to allow postings that are outside the boundaries.

                  In fact, I see no reason why a few people should have ANY input about the forum at all. If the forum is no good, it will wither away. but if there ARE users, and a few try to mess it up, just ban them and dump the offending threads. It is routine and no problem on many "special purpose" forums, whether they be for hobby machinists, knitters, bass guitar players, etc.

                  A free-for-all political forum is another matter.... posting a machining topic would get it closed or deleted there.....
                  1601

                  Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by J Tiers
                    I don't understand the whole "locked thread" deal.

                    If a thread is that obnoxious, I would just delete it. Otherwise let it burn out on its own.

                    Locking it "freezes it" against additions but leaves every obnoxious comment in place for all to see.
                    If you take away the thread you take away the lesson. That opens the door to endless speculation as to why a thing happened. If the thread is left in place it is self documenting and remains a lesson to be revisited again and again. I know I'm going to come back to this thread several times over the remaining years of my life.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      DOH!... Geez... JT, I never really thought of that. Good point!
                      A locked post does STOP the crap from spreading.. in that post.. but it does seem like... well never mind. I have nothing to add. You said it all.
                      Russ
                      I have tools I don't even know I own...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by dp
                        If you take away the thread you take away the lesson. That opens the door to endless speculation as to why a thing happened.
                        yes, there is some point to that, for stuff that just wanders out in the weeds.

                        But if obnoxious enough, a simple "deleted due to getting obnoxious" note (or the like) under the original heading would fix that.

                        There is no reason to keep it around "as a lesson" when that means you have to condone the presence of really obnoxious stuff on your forum......... People will just post obnoxious stuff so it gets "permanently recorded".........not caring if it is locked or no. Seen it happen.
                        1601

                        Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by J Tiers
                          yes, there is some point to that, for stuff that just wanders out in the weeds.

                          But if obnoxious enough, a simple "deleted due to getting obnoxious" note (or the like) under the original heading would fix that.

                          There is no reason to keep it around "as a lesson" when that means you have to condone the presence of really obnoxious stuff on your forum......... People will just post obnoxious stuff so it gets "permanently recorded".........not caring if it is locked or no. Seen it happen.
                          My own policy is to age things off cuz I don't want to buy tapes for drivel archival. After a certain time even google doesn't care anymore and too much mag media is burnt on stupid stuff as it is.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            For locking threads I use Loctite 641 its called bearing fit and it usually works even it has no bearing as subject
                            Last edited by derekm; 05-13-2008, 06:55 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I like Nylon inserts, removeable, replaceable, a great solution even for multiple linked threads,
                              Nick

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X