Neat Rotary Encoder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neat Rotary Encoder

Markj ("aboard_epsilon") posted this neat rotary angle encoder kit that was being shown at the Harrogate Model Engineering Show:

http://www.machine-dro.co.uk/index.p...product_id=137

It's a standard 900 CPR rotary encoder with a quadrature counter/display. So 3600 pulses per revolution works out to 1/10th of a degree resolution. That would be a heck of an upgrade for a rotary table or dividing head!

Aside from the US dollar being worth less than the Peso, £32 is a great price! I haven't seen these in the 'States yet. If anyone has seen one at CDCO et al -- please let us know!
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

ON a rotary tubing bender, that is all you need.. a model 3.. or?? Tie it right to the die radius with a cut-cog belt.. and a spring, sprocket you are degreed.
    Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

yup for a mathematical dunce, who gets middled up easily, like me ...it would make a good buy

just think

you say , bolt circle of so many holes

divide number holes into 360 degrees ...with calculator

round off to 1 decimal place.

( on non dividable numbers...the ones that don't give you full numbers....say 11 holes.... the max your going to loose is something under one degree...you could probably compensate for many more holes by adding and subtracting .1 of a degree every so many holes ...let the maths geniuses here ...figure that one ... )

move rotary table that number of degrees ..

drill hole and zero ..........

move table again

no counting turns ...just forward a bit ...back a bit ... lock the table and gotcha....and no getting lost either.

all the best.markj

Comment

3600 divisions on a 4" diameter circle is about 3600 divisions in 12" (12.566" if you're picky), or a division every 0.0035". That might not be good enough for some things, and it would be larger for larger diameters....but it ain't bad. And for smaller diameters, of course, the spacing would be smaller.
        ----------
        Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
        Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
        Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
        There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
        Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
        Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Wich the bender, it is a 4.5 Radius, or a 9" center line circle turning a .75" UL belt cog. Not got my head on straight to do the math in my head, but that x pulses per revolution.

Now making it read the "degrees" with the pulses? how? does it program and do divisions like the plc did?

It'd be a calculator thing otherwise..and then the dreaded 65,000 reset thing.. Lots of small cpu's and readouts won't go that high or error out.

LOOKS like it is meant to run at 1:1 ratio, no internal math..
          Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Never mind the math - feel the reality

Nice item for feed-back!

Never mind getting bogged down in the "numbers".

The reality is that in its basic form the item is accurate to 0.10 degree = 6 arc minutes which is about as good as you will get with a vernier or digital protractor or an average rotary table (direct reading and not interpolation).

Sin 0.10 = Tan 0.10 = 0.0017 = 0.0017 per inch = 0.017 per 10".

As lazlo says, that is a lot of "handiness" for very little money so it is very good value for money.

Also it needs no permanent mounting. A little bit of ingenuity and a bit more common/shop sense can do wonders with this item in the shop or anywhere.

Comment

Working...
            X