Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some of my Work!!

Hello All,
    As I am still learning how to weld, any opinions?
    The first 2 are structural steel welded with .045 fluxcore.

These 2 welds are done with mickie wire........ As hot as it will go!!!

Thanks for looking
    Last edited by thegurl; 05-14-2008, 03:40 PM.

I've been learning to weld for 30 years now.. Mine don't look that good. As a welder I am a pretty good electrician.

Fluxcore got a bad name around here.. it's look like dirt daubbers went to work. I tig mostly to relax.

I made some items from 24ga stainless, alloy unknown.. motel/prison mirrors polished.. I thought it was unweldable, then watched a Illinois guy weld it at 8 amps.. same welder I have here.
    It puddles, looks good, then falls out.. not sure what it up..

Trying to tig something soaked in oil for 30 years is a trial of patience for sure.
    Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Nice work. It's so much better than anything I've done that I'm not going to post any pictures

Comment

Originally posted by thegurl
        Hello All,
        As I am still learning how to weld, any opinions?
        The first 2 are structural steel welded with .045 fluxcore.

Thanks for looking
        Hi, I wont bore you with details, but I see several visual indicaters which suggest you are doing very well. You have a good eye and a steady hand. Nice neat work, you have every reason to be pleased. Congrats on your learning and performance.

(Former NASA and DOT certified Heli-Arc - wirefeed - submerged arc - weldor)

Comment

Great work, I've been trying to use flux core for several years. What's the secrect in controlling the splatter? I always end up spending much time with a wire brush and hand scraper cleaning off all the little beads stuck to everything especially on inside corners.

Comment

Originally posted by thegurl
            Hello All,

Thanks for looking
            They look good. weld some of the mesh offcust on some scrapr and then try bending it back and forwards to see where it fails.

looks good enough for the mesh to fracture not the welds.

Steve Larner

Comment

I can barely make a good/passable butt weld, inside angle welding is a real challenge for me. Nice work.

Comment

Very nice welds!! If I were the customer paying for that job I would be very satisfied with the quality and appearance of the welds.
                Mark Hockett

Comment

Hey Gurl, looks good to me. I burned up a couple of 10 pound spools of .045 on the linclon ln last week . Gusset plates on a12'' wide flange and then slit some 4'' sch 40 5'' deep on each end slipped it on the gussets and welded in place. About 20' in the air almost against the top of the ceiling. Now I'm rambling, o.k. back on topic . What is ''mickie'' wire ? Been welding a long time and have never heard that one.

Steve

Comment

Looks very good. I've been welding since I was a teenager and that was far too long ago. You also have a good teacher.

I have found flux core wire to be highly variable in performance in my Miller. Some brands work just fine and others are terrible. It's no small difference either. The poor wire not only spatters excessively it also jams, slips and sputters. Throw on a roll of good stuff and everything is fine.

This is also a flux core weld.

What is ''mickie'' wire ?
                    Sounds like a Torkerism.
                    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Sounds like things haven't improved much in the flux core wire world in the last 30 years. When I worked for Airco in the late 1970's we were trying to improve our own product consistency in flux core, we built several monitoring and control systems and installed them at plants but never got the problems fully under control. Too many issues that we had no influence over.

Joe

Comment

Very nice!

Did you do the verticals up or down? I've found lately with my welding that it isn't necessary to fully weld seams all the time. That's good for me because I tend to let the puddle build up on me and I burn through. I find it hard to keep a consistent speed.

Mickey wire?

Comment

never used the flux stuff, looks ok to me ...

now we know your name

well done kerry

all the best....markj

Comment

Sorry my name isn't Kerry..... HAHA Thats the customers name.
                            Sorry I said fluxcore, its dual shield wire, we use gas.
                            Mickie wire is .030 solid wire.
                            Thank you for your compliments

Comment

Wish I could do that!!! Mine always look like bird poop as I scramble to put out the fire that has caught on my socks. Great Job! Fred
                              Last edited by laddy; 05-14-2008, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X