Grizzly G0516 vs LatheMaster 8x14 + mini-mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grizzly G0516 vs LatheMaster 8x14 + mini-mill

Thanks to all the responses to my "To lathe or not to lathe" thread, I was just about to order the LatheMaster 8x14 and a Cummins mini-mill when I revisited the Grizzly G0516. The Griz is a 10x22 lathe with basically the same mini-mill attached. Given the 60" of space that I have to work with, it appears to be another solution to my problems. With those two choices, which way would you go and why?? Both are going to cost in the $1300-$1400 range, which pushes my starting budget to the limit. And, I know that which ever way I go, I will still need a few accessories (don't we always need more ???).

Thanks,
    Jacque
    Eagon Leather & Knives

I have a G0516 but just a couple weeks ago bought a base from TheLittleMachineShop.com for the mill so it's off the lathe and on it's own. It was a good purchase. That led to buying a better vise than comes with the lathe, and over time I've purchased 1-2-3 blocks, a spindexer, lots of tooling, a live center, and built a thread dial, and a ball turning fixture.

One problem with the lathe is the lowest spindle speed of 150 rpm which can be pretty tricky when threading to a shoulder. I've had some bad luck with the smallest change gear (30 t). They don't last and are made from junk metal.

I haven't grown out of either machine yet, but I can see where that will happen, but as a solution for light weight work in a space constrained environment it's been working out well.

Comment

The Grizzly 0516 is a Sieg C6 lathe with the mini-mill added. This is a fairly well liked lathe among hobbiests, although I think that the G0602 10x22 is a better choice.

Many people buy the G0516, and buy the X2 mini-mill base from Little Machine Shop for $169, which will give you a complete mill separate from the lathe. Few people have anything good to say about using a lathe/mill combination as your primary (only) mill.

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...1765&category=

EDIT: guess dennis beat me too it while I was researching my response...

Comment

Originally posted by dp
        One problem with the lathe is the lowest spindle speed of 150 rpm which can be pretty tricky when threading to a shoulder.
        One advantage of the 8x14 is that Bob Bertrand sells a planetary gear reducer to replace the idler pulley, so you can cut your bottom speed in half. I am not sure if he just includes this with every machine now, but he does sell it for $130 so it is a worthwhile option if it is not included.

http://www.lathemaster.com/SPEED%20R...N%20PULLEY.htm

An aftermarket kit for every asian lathe smaller then 12x would be nice, since they all suffer from the high minimum spindle speed problem.
        Last edited by tmarks11; 05-14-2008, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Hello,

When I was looking for a lathe, I considered the 0516. That was until I noticed that the tailstock barrel travel was 1/2". So, if you were to need to drill any deeper holes, you would have to move the tailstock.

I also don't know why they don't have a threading dial included. That being said, I remember seeing an after-market one somewhere.

Personally, I would buy the lathemaster 8x14 with the reducing pulley.

Regards,

Brian
          There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Rif
            Hello,

When I was looking for a lathe, I considered the 0516. That was until I noticed that the tailstock barrel travel was 1/2".
            Mine is closer to 2.9" (70 mm). Where did you see it was limited to 1/2"?

Comment

Lathemaster vs Grizzly

I have a Lathemaster 9x20, 2 Lathemaster mills & a Grizzly horiz/vert bandsaw and a Grizzly lathe on order. You have never done business with anyone like Bob. Yes he is hard to get on the phone but provides the best customer service of any company, not just any tool company, I have ever seen.
              Just my opinion but I think if you ask around you will get similar answers.
              thanks

Comment

Originally posted by dp
                Mine is closer to 2.9" (70 mm). Where did you see it was limited to 1/2"?
                The 2006, 2007, and 2008 Grizzly catalogs all listed it has having 1/2" tailstock barrel travel.

Brian
                There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Comment

I'll be damned, you're right. It's that way on line, too. I wonder how many sales they've lost over that.

Comment

My Grizzly G0516's tail stock runs out of thread at about two and half inches. They must have left out the "2".
                    It's good lathe for what I do. I separated the mill from the lathe with one of LMS's bases this past winter and that made it a much better little mill. The G0516 comes with a lot of tooling.
                    LMS also sells a threading dial for it. Biggest problem I can see with the lathe is the lowest spindle speed is 150 rpm.
                    Mel

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.

Comment

Originally posted by dp
                      One problem with the lathe is the lowest spindle speed of 150 rpm which can be pretty tricky when threading to a shoulder.
                      I.
                      I made a handcrank for mine to use for threading.

Comment

My advice (being a 3-in-1 owner) is that sometimes it is the only thing that fits the space you have. There can be lots of reconfiguration time involved if you are doing one operation as a lathe then one as a mill followed by another lathe operation, you can drive yourself insane. One day when I have more space, I will obtain separate machines.

Do not attempt to buy a 3-in-1 to save money. You will still have the tooling costs of both a lathe and a mill. The only exception would be a single DRO versus two -- but I can't afford a DRO yet because I'm still spending money on tooling!

Comment

Originally posted by Mac1
                          Same here. It's a must-have add-on. It works but better speed control would be preferred.

Comment

tailstock barrel travel on the G0516

I have emailed Grizzly tech support and asked for a clarification on the
                            tailstock barrel travel issue. If they respond, I will post their reply.

So far, most seem to be in favor of the Grizzly over the LatheMaster. Makes me wonder if the Griz is actually better or just more popular. I have not seen much reference to the LatheMaster products in other threads. Think I'll do a search.

J.
                            Eagon Leather & Knives

Comment

Originally posted by Mac1
                              Mac1 - could you post a picture of the handcrank??
                              Jacque
                              Eagon Leather & Knives

Comment

Working...
                              X