Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threading 3/16 Rod

Mornin' Gents,
    You would think that some 51 would know this but I never realised that 3/16 Taps & Dies aren't readily available. Is this done with #10 Taps & Dies?

Semper fi
    Keith
    "Ammo don't leave home without it"

That's what I'd do, unless there was a compelling special case reason not to. This place http://www.victornet.com/cgi-bin/vic...00&id=N9mcwiAv has a vast assortment of special taps and dies, including 3/16", but I'd still use #10, just for the availability of off-the-shelf screws and nuts.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Thanks, SGW I can almost always count on this board for an answer.

Semper fi

Comment

While they are close, 3/16" & #10 fasteners are different. For most purposes, #10 taps & dies can be used, but 3/16" is smaller and a #10 nut will fit loosely.
        Last edited by JCHannum; 05-15-2008, 02:57 PM.
        Jim H.

Comment

Thanks JC,

Everbit of info helps. Just another morsal to through in think tank.

Thanks again

Semper fi
          Keith

Comment

Originally posted by JCHannum
            While they are close, 3/16" & #10 fasteners are different. For most purposes, #10 taps & dies can be used, but 3/16" is smaller and a 3/16" nut will fit loosely.
            Hi J C , I don,t play with the smaller sizes much but now you have me confused. If 3/16 is smaller than a#10 ,then would'nt a 3/16 nut be tight on a #10 screw?

Steve

Comment

Steve; that was a typo, I edited to correct, a #10 nut will be oversize. The difference is minimal, but it does exist.

Thanks for keeping me honest.
              Jim H.

Comment

Originally posted by JCHannum
                Steve; that was a typo, I edited to correct, a #10 nut will be oversize. The difference is minimal, but it does exist.

Thanks for keeping me honest.

J C , Wasn't so much an honesty thing I was just afraid I was starting to get as dumb as I feel sometimes .

Steve

Comment

I must be missing something here but for a 10-24 thread the major diameter is .1818" to .190" , 3/16" is .1875". The minor diameter is around .138" and the basic pitch would be around .162". wouldn't you just change the basic pitch diameter to change the class of thread (loose or tightness)? The OD should have very little to do with it, wouldn't that just control the percentage of thread engagement.

Same with the 10-32 thread the major diameter is.1828" to .190" with a minor diameter of around .151" and a basic pitch of around .169".

I have never dealt with 3/16" threads so I am a little confused.
                  Mark Hockett

Comment

3/16 of a millimeter would be difficult to hold!

Rgds
                    Michael

Australia

Comment

I guess I sorta learned that 3/16 is equivalent to 10-24, so where I need a fastener in that size range, I find and buy it as 10-24 hardware. Next one up is 1/4 inch, with hardware, taps, and dies labeled as such.

Not sure if this is still the case, but stove bolts used to come in inch labeled sizes down to 1/8 inch.
                      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Hey Miker, 3/16" is near enough to use an M5 die
                        Just got my head together
                        now my body's falling apart

Comment

To be or not to be? Metric that is.

I bought a M6 die yesterday and had to laugh. It is labelled M6 x 1.0 x 1" .
                          I know they have always been called one inch Button Dies but when are we going to completely let go.

I am a "Fraction Free Zone.".

Rgds
                          Michael

Australia

Comment

Working...
                          X