• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is this a con or what????

message in british ads

Posted on 12th May

Wanted
    Tools
    Totally blind wood and metalworker and musical instrument maker in training hoping someone could assist me at all. I am looking for a metal turning lathe in good order. anything considered. any age or condition. ideally single phase but 3 phase would be great with ability to convert it. must be 18 to 22 inch between centres and have chuck etc. also looking for any metalworking tools including hand tools etc, brazing kit (oxy propane or acetylene) any age etc. if you could help then please contact me. sadly due to financial position unable to afford hence asking for donation of any tooling or a lathe regardless of age etc. I am genuinely asking for your help. thanks

Lewis Brock
    lewisjbrock [at] aol.com
    07857 352828
    rhyl
    United Kingdom
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

There are blind machinist, But brazing supply's --- ?

Comment

A preacher called me..

I had a ebay ad for motorcycle transmission..

A preacher up in Tennessee called me.. He wanted me to donate the transmission to his church, said he was working with some underprivilidged kids building a bike.

After looking him up on the net, I found out he had a long history with his local police force, been arrested several times. Preacher my butt..

I get phone calls collecting for the sherriff's department and fire departments too.. from other states!! They won't take no for a answer. Some SOB sitting in a motel room calling people and collecting money. According to my neighborhood watch commander, most phone solicitations are frauds. They do mailings locally.. your neighborhood may differ..

I hate cons..
      Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

David I have to agree with A .K .I mean oxy acetelyne is not the kind of thing you would ask for if you were totally blind.Something very suspicious
        Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Maybe that's why he's blind. ...slow learner I guess.
          Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

This has been getting discussed over here.To see what we`re discussing do a Google for his name,UK only.Do a web search and a Groups search.
            Mark.

Comment

Alistair,
              nowadays, who do you trust? The planet is infected with con men & scam artists, This makes it very difficult to differentiate the good guys from the bad guys, Sadly i have came across stinkers ,even in amongst the home workshop/ model engineering fraternity, Over the years, this has made me more hard hearted, For the greater part of my life, i was too soft hearted, helping everyone, and kindness became a land of " you will do this for me,NOW! and no appreciation shown, in a lot of cases not even a word of thanks" So now i pick my deserving cases a bit more carefully, I thought our blind craftsman is asking for a cornucopia of goodies, and being a little presumptious Brazing gear when you have no sight hmmmm ? Still i believe if you help somebody as you go along your living will not be in vain. Maybe some of our members in Wales might know someone who knows of the background of the man if google etc doesnt pick him up Just be cautious & dont let your heart over-rule caution guys

Comment

Originally posted by David E Cofer
                I get phone calls collecting for the sherriff's department and fire departments too.. from other states!! They won't take no for a answer. Some SOB sitting in a motel room calling people and collecting money. According to my neighborhood watch commander, most phone solicitations are frauds. They do mailings locally.. your neighborhood may differ..

I hate cons..
                I like to make them hang up on me.
                Gene

Comment

just get some old pipe and steel car wheels and scrap metal and drop it off at his house and tell him it's an old Myford. he's BLIND for goodness sakes, he'll never know.

andy b.
                  The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie
                    David I have to agree with A .K .I mean oxy acetelyne is not the kind of thing you would ask for if you were totally blind.Something very suspicious
                    We could be seeing evolution in progress. For goodness sakes, someone get him some welding equipment before he has the opportunity to reproduce.
                    Paul A.
                    SE Texas

Make it fit.
                    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

blind con

Aboard Epsilon lives close, maybe he could check it out. Peter
                      The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

Comment

Aboard has been checking.None of the local support agencies have heard of him.I thought Aboard might have chipped in by now.

Comment

BLIND may be a relative term.

"BLIND" may not mean "totally unable to see" there are various degreews of blindness that all can fit within that term. I worked with a guy whos son was classified as blind because he had such a narrow field of vision that he could not see an entire page of a book and would have to scan back and forth just to read a line of text. Think a field of view about 3 keys wide on your keyboard. Or someone with macular Degeneration - can't read the text on a page at all but can see to drive a car. macular Degeneration damages the central portion of their vision but the peripery of their vision is still good.

This individual may have good enough vision to work under "hobby" like conditions but can't see well enough to work a "normal" job. OR they could be a moocher who is trying to get something for nothing. If they are not a moocher they may have a real talent, but because of vision problems they might not have teh financial wherewithall to be able to afford much more than the basics. If this individual is local you might want to check them out and see if they are for real.

Comment

still waiting on an answer from the welsh division of RNIB

they have not heard of him either ...

also

talk about scrounging he must be one of the biggest

google results for "wanted" and his phone number

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...rch&nochrome=1

when he's scrounged enough they are put up for sale ...

google results for the word "sale" and his number

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...rch&nochrome=1

there are even more results when you put in his home telephone number.

first it was computer stuff .and then he moved on to machine tools. !

all the best.,markj

Comment

Originally posted by kf2qd
                              "BLIND" may not mean "totally unable to see" there are various degreews of blindness that all can fit within that term. I worked with a guy whos son was classified as blind because he had such a narrow field of vision that he could not see an entire page of a book and would have to scan back and forth just to read a line of text. Think a field of view about 3 keys wide on your keyboard. Or someone with macular Degeneration - can't read the text on a page at all but can see to drive a car. macular Degeneration damages the central portion of their vision but the peripery of their vision is still good.

This individual may have good enough vision to work under "hobby" like conditions but can't see well enough to work a "normal" job. OR they could be a moocher who is trying to get something for nothing. If they are not a moocher they may have a real talent, but because of vision problems they might not have teh financial wherewithall to be able to afford much more than the basics. If this individual is local you might want to check them out and see if they are for real.
                              he puts the words "totally blind" at the end of his posts ...everywhere !!!

all the best..markj

Comment

Working...
                              X