• OT Blazing Mower

Had a bit of excitment today.

http://neme-s.org/Fire/a_hot_time_in...town_tonig.htm

Melted metal content
    Errol Groff

New England Model Engineering Society
    http://neme-s.org/

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/GroffErrol?feature=mhee

with the price of scrap metal what it is these days you should get your $8 back. not going to help much mowing the lawn though. Hope no one got hurt.

Comment

Humm...Viking funeral for an MTD in disguise?

Hope you didn't get hurt.
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Guess nothing burns like a deere too.

Comment

Errol,

i say take it to school in the fall. have your students evaluate what failed, and then have them rebuild it. plus, it gives you the excuse to buy something like a nice John Deere X500.

andy b.
          The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

That thing was "made" by Weedeater. Probably really made by MTD. Just like the low end JD's.

Friends of mine have the JD 324 (I think) that is a pretty nice machine. But still can beat the little Kubotas with a 2 or 3 cylinder diesel.

Comment

mower fire

I saw the neighbor's Gilson go up in a similar ball of fire but that fire started when poplar fluff gathered around the muffler. I was melba too. Peter
              The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

Comment

Nothing wrong with MTD that a few mods can't fix.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

So, did the demonstration of what happens when a mower catches fire go well and did the fire dept get good video of the event?

Did you set up a failure to start the fire or did you just put some gas on it for the demo?
                  It's only ink and paper

Comment

had time to take pics of it ...but not time to get the garden hose out !!!

all the best.markj

Comment

Originally posted by Rookie machinist
                      Guess nothing burns like a deere too.
                      Probably not the kind of branding JD is looking for, but funny as hell!
                      Stuart de Haro

Comment

Gas cost too much to waste it on cutting grass! Let it grow long for the natural look. The deer need to eat too! If anyone complains, just tell them You are doing your part to stop gobal warming. Gary P. Hansen
                        In memory of Marine Engineer Paul Miller who gave his life for his country 7-19-2010 Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Freedom is not free, it is paid for with blood.

Comment

Originally posted by aboard_epsilon
                          had time to take pics of it ...but not time to get the garden hose out !!!

all the best.markj
                          That's what I thought.
                          The grass looks pretty green, surely the hose has got to be closer than the camera. Or at least more effective in a fire situation than a camera.
                          If it's insured it is at least well documented.
                          Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

your lucky it didn't happen here there are no such things as .A FULL TANK FOR $8that's a joke right more like eighty or more here.Alistair
                            Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Blazing Mower followup

When the fire started (small gas leak which got out of hand) I went in the house and got the extinguisher. My wife was afraid that the thing would blow in a giant ball of fire like a movie scene so she wanted me to stay well away from it. I have not been married for 42 years without learning a thing or two so I listened to her. That plus I never really liked that mower anyway.

Never having had the opportunity to photograph a flaming mower before I got the camera and started shooting the conflagration.

The fire guy asked if we had a hose and when my wife said that she thought one does not put water on a gasoline fire. He replied that they do it all the time with car fires. Live and learn.

All in all, no one was hurt, except the mower, I got some nifty photos and an interesting tale to tell.

As to the $8.00 loss of gas (petrol to Alistair) the tank was only two gallon U.S. capacity.

The thing was indeed a Weedeater brand mower, no longer available as far as I can tell. My experience with MTD products has been very good. They tend to have in stock parts for machines which may easily be considered ancient.

Well, tomorrow we are off to the grand re-opening of the Saugus Iron Works National Historic Site. Photos from a previous visit are at

http://neme-s.org/Iron_Guild_2006/iron_guild.htm

Regards to all,

Errol Groff
                              Errol Groff

New England Model Engineering Society
                              http://neme-s.org/

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/GroffErrol?feature=mhee

Comment

Working...
                              X