Layout on HRS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layout on HRS

I am making a special clamp using some HRS I got at the local TSC. Like most HRS, it has a blue-black scale finish. The parts do not need to be nice looking so I am not going to bother taking the scale off. But I do need to layout some hole locations on it. In the past I have tried just scribing directly on the scale, the blue layout fluid, black or blue magic markers, paper label stock, and masking tape. For various reasons, none of these are very good.

Anyone got a good way of prepairing the scale surface for layout?
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

White spray paint has worked well for me.
    Bob

Comment

I was going to say belt sander (so i did) but spray paint might do it, too.

Comment

Paul,

This is what I do on that type of material...

I roughly mark out the hole pattern and scrape a spot on the metal at those locations - this doesn't take long at all! Then I apply layout fluid to those spots and re-scribe accurately the hole locations. Since one is drilling holes, the scraped area will be removed and no one will be the wiser.

Scraping doesn't always have to be for precision fits!

Last edited by Mike Burdick; 05-16-2008, 03:11 AM.

Comment

I still like the tungsten scribe. Cuts through the scale ok. If I go to hard it chips the scale then I need to sand it down to get a good line so I just go easy. JR
          My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

If the parts are small enough for what ever size plastic tub you might have a couple of hours in a muriatic acid bath and all that scale will be gone.

Comment

If just for quick and rough, I've used correction fluid like tippex or white-out.
              (remember the typewriter?)
              Just got my head together
              now my body's falling apart

Comment

I just grab a rattle can, most any color works- white/grays better- and give a light dusting, and its pretty easy to get off if need to (one time inferior quality of rattle can paint is a help!)
                If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

I used to use a silver (color) wood pencil. Keep it sharp and press lightly. It shows up pretty well. You may have to go to an art supply or office supply to find one.

Comment

Just looked at my post and it' a bit ambiguous, so....

I meant lay on some white, dries quickly, then scribe or fine pencil and centrepunch
                    Just got my head together
                    now my body's falling apart

Comment

Thanks for the good ideas. I may try the white out since it drys fast and has it's own brush. Spray paint sounds good too. But I need to finish my spray booth.

I will also get some muriatic acid to try later on another project. I am curious what kind of finish it will leave under the scale.

Thanks again!
                      Paul A.
                      SE Texas

Make it fit.
                      You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

I think it was Torker that said he used vinegar in a plastic tub to remove scale.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                        X