Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help with my wire terminal crimper

I've got this crimper:

The only die I have is the one that came with it, and it's only good for #4 and smaller. I need to crimp some terminals on #2 welding wire.

Since I don't forsee any need to use the smaller sizes of the die I've got, so I want to resize one of them for using on #2 terminals.

What are the dimensions for the notch I need to make?

I'm using the notch on the lower left for crimping terminals on #4 welding wire. Is that the correct one?

I believe it originally came with three dies. Does anyone have the other two that they're not using?

Roger
    Last edited by winchman; 05-16-2008, 05:59 AM.
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Hi Roger..

You'll have to look on the line truck it fell offa..

Thomas and betts ain't it? I got a lil crimper the size of your hand that ratchets that can crimp #2 that if you need me to send it to you to borrow.

David
    Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

If you really want to experiment, you'd need to measure and relate the notch sizes you have to the barrel and wire diameters etc on the sizes you have, and extrapolate.

They are (as you no doubt know) meant to crimp to a particular amount of flow in the wire and barrel materials that will make a secure crimp.

If they wear past the gage size (when closed) then they don't make a spec crimp anymore, and the dies have to be replaced or adjusted. So a fairly small difference in size matters.

I don't have that style or I could measure it for you.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

Wouldn't it be a fairly simple matter to make up a custom "die" out of HRS?
        Any old plate of around the right thickness, and a bit of work with an angle grinder.
        I presume you are not working to standards, or you would be billing the client for a new die set
        Just got my head together
        now my body's falling apart

Comment

Mine goes to 00 or 01 I think and the bigger dies are 2 sided or even 1 I think.

If I think about it later I will look at it and see what a #2 measures.

Comment

Making a die might be an option if one of his current notches is not the correct one....but he still needs to know the correct size.

With a ratcheting crimper, if the die is too small, you can get started into the crimp and then get the crimper locked onto the work because it cannot go closed far enough to complete it...an ugly scenario that you *may* be able to get out of by disassembly.

Paul
            Paul Carpenter
            Mapleton, IL

Comment

Doesn't look like a ratchet crimper, just the "bolt cutter" type I used to use on exchange battery cables. (before the hydraulic models appeared)

A bit of vacu-video development is in order (suck it and see)
              Just got my head together
              now my body's falling apart

Comment

I got these pictures from someone with a similar T&B crimping tool, but he didn't know which one is for the #2 terminal.

It would help if I knew what the colors meant. I could just scale the pictures. Any idea on which one is for #2?

I've been using yellow on my die for the #4 terminals, and it seems to make a secure crimp. It takes a pretty hefty squeeze, but not what I'd call excessive. The notches on his die set are a different shape, and yellow appears to be the largest. I'm not sure where to go from here.

Roger
                Last edited by winchman; 05-16-2008, 07:31 PM.
                Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

This should help:
                  T&B

And seems to jive up with the hydraulic crimper I use at work...

Edit: I googled "crimp die color codes", there is a lot of info on them...

Comment

http://www.specialized.net/ecommerce...ter.asp?series

I came up with the brown die #2 copper. Haven't used one in about 25 years.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                    X