Miniature tubing bender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miniature tubing bender

Awhile back I posted some threads on building the crank for my scratch Holt model engine. I have the engine complete and am working on the fuel and cooling system. I got down to needing some 1/8 tubing bent for the fuel supply and from past experience knew that it could become quite ugly trying to bend it by hand so I figured it was time to create yet another tool for my vast modeling tool arsenal. I started with an article from Model Engineer by C. Horace Clarke. His was O.K. but didn't allow enough adjustment for different radius bends so I set about reengineering it and making a set of drawings. That finished, I built one and made my first bend. I was pleasantly surprised how easily the tool worked and how smooth the bend turned out. I am posting some pictures of the tool. The micrometer standard in the picture is 1 inch diameter so that gives you an idea of the size. The copper tubing has a .47 radius. It might be able to bend something smaller but this is what I needed for right now.
    gbritnell

Beautiful piece of work.
    Should do an article in HSM. I would enjoy reading it.

Comment

That looks very well thought out with lots of adjustments. thats a fine piece of work.

Comment

gbritnell, Thats awfully cute. I like it a lot and it looks to work quite well also. Good job and thanks for posting it. Jay
        "Just build it and be done"

Comment

gbritnell: Very nice work. Is the handle attached or did you just turn it as part of the center stock? Jim

Comment

gbritnell,

Very nice! I can't tell from the picture but did the tube flatten any thru the bend?

Comment

Thanks gentlemen,
              JBL37, I turned the handle separately. It has a 1/4-28 thread on the end of it. Mike, no the tube is completely round, not flat whatsoever, at least not perceptible.
              gbritnell

Comment

Outstanding tool you made there!!!

Again, havent got on my soapbox in abit but George!!! We really could use a "Projects" sub group!! Just for stocking these wonderful projects for all eternity, ok, well as long as we are around anyway LOL

Please, otherwise this fabulous tool will be lost way down deep in the endless posts.. Hey, ya dont need to babysit the sub group either, heck, Im retired, Ill babysit it.

Only projects get to be posted there, well, along with the trailing positive responses..

We need it, imagine being able to go directly to the "Projects" group and seeing all the great work right there without having to do a detailed search, which doesnt always work if you dont know what exactly it is yer looking for...

It would be a credit to all the dedicated members here.

And Im sorry gbritnell for piggy backing on yer post, but you deserve it, keep making high quality tools and yer gonna have to deal with me and my rant. I wanna see your stuff for many years to come... Keep posting those, we are grateful!!! JR
                My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

very nicely done
                  Glen
                  Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
                  I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
                  All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

That's a bloody lovely piece of kit GB!

It resembles, in miniature, the Swadesir bender, with which I have bashed assorted 316 hi-pol

Me 'ats orf ter yer guvnor
                    Just got my head together
                    now my body's falling apart

Comment

Excellent design and workmanship!

Comment

That's a really nice looking tool. Could you show us the drawing?
                        Thanks,
                        John R

Comment

There is no way that bender could work,you'll need to send me one so I can see for myself if it does
                          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Nah, we just need drawings for that Turing machine
                            Just got my head together
                            now my body's falling apart

Comment

For use on different size tubing, would it be necessary to make a new
                              set of "dies" and a guide (the brass peice)? It looks almost too nice
                              to be a tool, more a work of art. :-)
                              ...lew...

Comment

Working...
                              X