Selling equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling equipment

I have a mill/drill to sell and I was wondering what the best way to do this is. I don't want to get tied into E-bay, to many problems, the local Model Engineer club put a notice in there news letter with 1 reply that didn't go anywhere and I put an ad on Craigslist in a nearby city but since I live in a small town there isn't much of a demand for it locally. Other than putting ads in the local area papers and expanding the ads in craigslist to more distant areas what can be done.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Maybe you're asking too much for it or you didn't post a price at all. A good buy will bring inquiries even for mill/drill. Pictures always help too. You didn't say how long you've been advertising it but I would continue. Don't sell eBay short. Many folks go there first when looking for machines.

Comment

Yeah, a properly priced item will sell its self. I sell (and buy) alot on ebay. I always list items at the minimum, one cent. The items always bid up to market value and thats all expect to get, market value.. JR
      My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut
        Other than putting ads in the local area papers and expanding the ads in craigslist to more distant areas what can be done.
        that and drop the price......what pircehave you got it out at?

the only two things you can do are reach more people and make a more compelling offer. I am often astounded at how high kijiji and craiglist sellers expectations are .....so i just let the high price stuff sit and watch the adds get reposted week after week and pounce on the stuff at 5-25% of its new price, if in good condition.

The challenge in selling anything used with a narrow market like machining stuff is its really hard to find the guy who woke up that morning needing exactly what you have. If you cant' find him, you've got to price induce a sale. There's lots of guys on kijiji moaning about lowballers and not selling their stuff, well maybe they're the problem, damn highballers! lol. I am going to have to get even cheaper with my approach, I'm having too many so yeah ok.
        Last edited by Mcgyver; 05-18-2008, 11:40 AM.

Comment

The market here in this area can be a bit weird, I've run a couple items, -- one a mill-drill, and totally bombed with newspaper & Craigs, until I put them in the local "thrifty nickel/penny saver" (got another name, but its still called the thrifty nickel from years past) and started getting responses on, and sold within a week or so. Couple friends with similar experience.
          If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Look for a Ebay selling service in your area (or maybe not in your area). They handle the listing etc for a fee. Just don't expect top dollar, quick sale, no hassle. You have to pick from that list.

Comment

I was asking $450.00 for it and throwing in a complete clamping kit with it, I don't consider it to much considering that it is in pretty good condition (paints is chipped around the base and it has one divot on the table, works great, no problems with the motor).

The main problem here is that I live in a town of 3000 and so there is a limited market in this area, that's why I posted to Craigslist in the nearest city, I'm going to post to lists on cities farther away.

I did get two replies, one came to look at it and hasn't called back ( he's an older gent and doesn't think could get it into his basement). The other was just an inquiry to see if it's still available. Who knows.

This is a bit of a specialized hobby and the number of people looking for equipment isn't that great.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

Another option

I had a similar problem selling a 6" Atlas I had sitting around for way too long. Not enough local interest, but too heavy to ship. Recently I got back into the airgun hobby so I came up with the bright idea of posting it for trade only/local pickup on one of the airgun classified forums. Just completed a very nice trade for it. I was going to end up spending the money on airguns anyway, and this way it short circuits the tendency to hoard money for useless stuff like food and bills.

So if you have any other hobbies that you need stuff for, see if you can wrangle a specialized trade...
                Largest resource on the web for Taig lathes and milling machines, www.cartertools.com

Comment

Nick makes a good point.
                  Try your local phone book for clubs/associations that may use machine tools.
                  Live steam, rifle clubs, old engine freaks, maybe even local youth groups.

If anything like Oz, the high schools sold anything resembling tools years ago.
                  Now there's a bunch of kids hanging out to get their hands on something physical.

Foidermore, we now have a skill shortage in this area (heavy industrial, refineries and shipyards) and the schools and colleges have been turning out bean-counters for the last 10 years.
                  Result, the bean counter kids are asking "fries with that?", and the dumb bastids that stuck with manual skills are driving $40 000 4wds and have 3 investment properties.

Keep the torch burning.
                  The worm has turned!

Sorry, rant finished
                  Just got my head together
                  now my body's falling apart

Comment

Try The "Triad News" sold at most convenience stores and on line, and it is FREE.

http://www.buysell.com/classifieds/SW_Ontario.html

While you are at the store look at the other Auto Trader Magazines....... in the past I have sold some weird stuff in them, that brought no offers elsewhere (Coin-op washers and dryers).

Is that a Busy Bee mill drill?
                    Last edited by Chester; 05-18-2008, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chester
                      Is that a Busy Bee mill drill?
                      Yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Swarf&Sparks
                        Nick makes a good point.
                        Try your local phone book for clubs/associations that may use machine tools.
                        Live steam, rifle clubs, old engine freaks, maybe even local youth groups.

If anything like Oz, the high schools sold anything resembling tools years ago.
                        Now there's a bunch of kids hanging out to get their hands on something physical.

Foidermore, we now have a skill shortage in this area (heavy industrial, refineries and shipyards) and the schools and colleges have been turning out bean-counters for the last 10 years.
                        Result, the bean counter kids are asking "fries with that?", and the dumb bastids that stuck with manual skills are driving $40 000 4wds and have 3 investment properties.

Keep the torch burning.
                        The worm has turned!

Sorry, rant finished
                        I,ve already talked to the local clubs, there pretty much equipped.

In school years ago the "bright" kids all went to collage and the "losers" were send to shop classes to be baby sat because the schools didn't think we were worth spending time on, so we ended up in the trades. I'm making twice as much as most of the collage grads are, tradesmen are in short supply hear so the jokes on them.

Ya gotta love it!

Comment

The one that I like is BuySell.om It's free and has got very good results for me.

Comment

selling equipment

Try kijiji.ca and look for the nearest city to you . It's free and I've had great results.

Comment

Selling at a "Good Buy"

Don't get sucked into selling for too low a price. You will find two kinds of prospective buyers (I have) They are 1. Chiselers and 2. Those who are looking for a good machine, not a bargain they can resell for a profit.
                              Let the chiselers victimize widows and orphans (someting they are really good at) and wait out the one in a thousand buyer who will truly appreciate what you have and is willing to pay a fair price for it.
                              When I'm selling something, the minute a prospective buyer begins to belittle the item or tell me how his brother in law can get him one wholesale, I don't waste another second on them. I open the door and motion for them to exit, stage left.
                              Otherwise, give it to somebody you like.
                              Last edited by John Lawson; 05-23-2008, 12:10 AM.
                              Today we carve our own omens Leonidas at Thermopylae

Comment

Working...
                              X