Lathe Spindle Thread Protector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lathe Spindle Thread Protector

A while ago I built a draw bar for my 10" Atlas lathe and not wanting to always have pry the bushing out of the taper using a screwdriver I made up a thread protector and bushing extractor.

The bushing fitted had a bit of a gap so I measured it and went about making chips.

Fast forward as the camera batteries died... here's the completed unit.

If you look at the face you'll see the recess cut in.

It has about a 10th of a turn before it engages the back of the bushing and pops it out nicely.

One of these days I'll finally get around to making that tap.
    Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

The thread protector is a good idea. Nice work too. I'm not lazy just busy so I just tap MT's out of the headstock with a brass bar from the other end. For collets, I simply unscrew the draw bar about a turn and give it rap.

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen
      The thread protector is a good idea. Nice work too. I'm not lazy just busy so I just tap MT's out of the headstock with a brass bar from the other end. For collets, I simply unscrew the draw bar about a turn and give it rap.
      I use a brass bar too. But the drawbar thing won't work on the closer, and the brass bar isn't such a good plan for the closer, it tends to distort the back end.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
      X