Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My New Toy

Hey All
    I just finished my latest toy for my shop. I made it from some old turbine studs, srap from my bin and some teflon coated steel backed bushings from mcmastercarr. It was designed with rolling 1/4 x 2" stock inmind but it bent that up quite handily. I found some old gears from some soot blowing equipment and worked them into the design. It one stout heavy piece, I dont evan clamp it down for the light stuff. Now I need some ideas for stuff to make with the stuff I already made so I can make more stuff.
    John
    http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...o/P1010167.jpg
    http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...o/P1010169.jpg
    http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...o/P1010171.jpg
    http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...o/P1010172.jpg
    johnny o

Last I talked to Madman, he had about a dozen pipe rollers that would plug and play right in your new toy.

Ground round and beautiful.
    Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

You took the word right out of my mouth Johnny.........stout.

That thing looks great...looks bulletproof, great work.

John

Comment

Nice ring roller,nice work table too
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

That's not a toy my friend, it's one very serous roller! It makes my little HF ring roller look like a toy. You should be very proud of it. Now go and build some more "stuff". "Stuff" is good!
          Mel

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
          Oregon Coast

Comment

Nice looking tool. Good job

Comment

Job well done.

Apparently there was recently an article on ring rollers in one of the magazines. Anybody have a snapshot of what that was about; just the basic idea?

Comment

That's a nice roller Johnny, looks stout enough to handle some pretty big stuff. Is that a railroad car the parts were sitting on?
                Mac

Comment

Nice roller Johnny!

Couple of questions;

- Are the side plates steel, or aluminium?

- You're using 2 screws to force the top roller down. Other designs I've seen have used a hydraulic jack; do the screws struggle to put the initial bend in the bar, or isn't this a problem?

Ian
                  All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Originally posted by johnny o
                    Now I need some ideas for stuff to make with the stuff I already made so I can make more stuff.
                    How about a ring handle. You have done such a nice job you should finish it off with the ring handle and a John Deere spinner. That would make it over the top. The current handle is inspired by a bicylce not a guy with a really cool ring roller.

Comment

Super nice, that's one skoocum piece of equipment. How did you cut the plates they look to be about an inch thick?
                      Cheers Bob

Comment

Well done. No, make that beautifully done!

Orrin
                        So many projects. So little time.

Comment

Thanks All
                          Ian b The sides are 1" thk steel, saw cut and milled to profile. I just rolled two 3/8 x 2" x 3 ft. flat bars for a firewood rack with it. It handled them nicely too. I think it might do well with 1/2" thick also. The 5/8-11 load screws work great, you can effortlessly put a 1/2 turn on them and roll the metal thru. I used 1/4 turns on the 3/8 stuff. The flat car the assembly sat on is my A3 switchers tender under construction, I forget who asked that. Of course I drank the yuengling lager, cause it wouldnt fit in the roller.
                          Thanks,
                          Gotta hide now from the old lady!
                          Later!
                          johnny o

Comment

Working...
                          X