Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mini-bike clutch on a harley, automatic??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini-bike clutch on a harley, automatic??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izc2oTImyjc&eurl

Whatcha think? My first impression is.. neato, but I'd probably kill myself with a new skill to learn. I blip the throttle at redlights cause the old pan would not ever idle exactly right. A very old habit for 18 years.
    If she ever went KEER_CHEW.. it backfired out the carb and dried up the intake.. then you were in for a round of kick boxing with the kicker. A thing of running high timing, stiffer valve springs, and a long throat Super B carburetor.
    (now I got a button starter and fuel injection that idles perfect, but old habits persist.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CAQkIh51iE
    See there hydraulic front ends do work on stretched out motorsprinklers, they are a hydraulic bumper.. ha ha... (useless on a bike stretched out, handle like crap, more fork flex than slide)

Installation instructions:
    http://www.grandeurcycle.com/site.htm
    Last edited by Dawai; 05-20-2008, 08:24 AM.
    Excuse me, I farted.

Originally posted by David E Cofer
    [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CAQkIh51iE
    See there hydraulic front ends do work on stretched out motorsprinklers, they are a hydraulic bumper.. ha ha... (useless on a bike stretched out, handle like crap, more fork flex than slide)
    hehe ...i remember when i was a kid i thought a burn out was a cool thing....but man that guy has got to over 12 isn't he?

Comment

I wonder how it shifts if you have wait for the engine to slow down before it dissengages.

They should make it just like a little Honda. You can shift them up or down at will because when you move the shift lever, it also releases the clutch.

There is a burnout video on that page that shows a guy with a clutch like that going through 3 gears. But he has to back off the throttle, and wait for the clutch to slow down before he can go to the next gear. If the shift lever were connected to an overriding mechanism that released the clutch he could bang through the gears without a pause. That, or connect the mechanism to the clutch lever.

Good idea, and I can see a use for it, on a parade bike.

I've kind of done that on this little bike project. I removed the foot shift parts that release the clutch, and using a cover from a manual clutch engine, I rigged up a foot release. I push the foot pedal down, put it in gear, and I can take my foot off the clutch pedal. Just give it gas to go. To shift it, I just push the pedal down move the hand lever and release the pedal.

It isn't shown in this picture, it's part of the floor board assembly, but when done it will look like it is a foot clutch bike, but without the hazards.

Gene

Comment

The clutch that he is showing on the big twin is basically the same as a dirt bike clutch was was developed about 8 or so years ago. Nothing new just a cintrifugal clutch same as has been used in drag racing for years.
        "the ocean is the ultimate solution"

Comment

Interesting design, I'm impressed that it does look like the regular clutch is functional too.

Don't exactly like the 2000+ rpm engagement speed though, unless it has an extremely gradual hook-up, on some of my bikes that would dump you. May be one of those things that don't like a short wheelbase.

Ken.

Comment

Sold One..

I think I've sold one.. Dlr cost is $174..

We'll get to see how it works.. I wonder, do you build the roller pack? how in the world sideways would you stack all them bearings in? Lay motorcycle on it's side?

Grease has always worked before with transmission bearings.. No No around clutch plates thou.

Really, as far as ease.. the old mousetrap on the 58, it had a eccentric spring that helped pull in the clutch once it broke over.. problem was it had about six places to adjust and you saw people pushing them out with their foot.. Hard to adjust, I always started on one end and worked to the other.
            Most non-mechanically inclined people swapped it for a superglide cable and bracket. THEM squeaked each time you'd pull them in.. too much force. Of course I have always ran barnett heavy springs and clutches.

How will the auto clutch work "dirty".. will it hang?
            Addeum: I just ordered one of these for a bike here in the lil harley shop.. It has a bdl belt drive in it. We'll see how it works.
            Last edited by Dawai; 05-20-2008, 07:37 PM.
            Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

David, please follow up on this. My first impression is that it's a piece of crap.

The entire assembly must slow down before it can stop putting pressure on the clutch pack. Wheel speed is going to keep that thing turning. And engaged.

I want to know how it shifts.
              Gene

Comment

From what I read, you can powershift it.. using the clutch lever.. It'd be impossible to shift otherwise, since you'd have to slow down to shift, then you'd not need to.

Also, the kicker, if installed, kicks through the clutch pack.. it'd not work anymore. Most evo's and twincam riders don't have a need for a kicker thou.

The next bike I am building here, bare minimums.. possibly cutting down the gas tank to make a oil tank too akin to the old 45's..

David
                Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Same basic principal as a chainsaw clutch,it should work fine,so as you back off the throttle it will disengage.

Besides where else would a person use it besides traffic where it would be most benificial.
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Burn Outs

Burn outs like a stall convertor for a car.. the engine comes up onto the powerband before locking in.

It torque multiplies for the first instant, The king of holeshots.. (then it's over unless you got the horsepower to continue)

I got this one goofy bud who likes to sit still and do "burnouts" .. I'd just as soon turn it loose myself, if you are going to beat it up, get some adrenalin for it.
                    Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

David I know they've been out there for awhile but as of yet I've never talked to anybody that's had one.
                      Personally, for me it's an answer to a question that I haven't asked, but then I don't ride in town too much...too many idiots!

Anyway I remember seeing a writeup to an install last year but I couldn't remember where, finally figured it out.
                      Hope this gives you a bit more insight.

http://www.bikernet.com/garage/PageV...sp?PageID=1713
                      Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Comment

i'm confused about something here. these clutches you guys are talking about (not this crazy auto clutch thing), do you have to hold the clutch lever in to make the bike move, or do you let the lever out to make the bike move? every motorcycle/three-wheeler/four-wheeler i have ever ridden, you pull the lever in to disengage the motor from the tranny, then shift, then let the lever out. i don't see how your hand would get tired on long rides from that, since once you let the lever out you just drive. do old Harleys work opposite of this????

andy b.
                        The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Hi Andy:

Yeah, same as a normal bike.. except in traffic.. it gets kinda tiring.

I walked through north Atlanta recently. I had a motorcycle between my legs. My left hand was cramping.

Clutches on older bikes get hot and lock up. I've had it happen a couple of times.. you just get over into the middle lane, let it idle along holding the clutch in, away she goes.. THEM were dry clutches and I guess they got hot and swelled? There is a thing called a tamer for the old style clutches.. it holds the clutch basket in, as you release the pressure, the clutch bell if unhindered, kinda wanders around.. the clutch tamer just held a lil pressure on the basket keeping it in alignment.. THEY kinda jerked when taking off or sitting still otherwise.. Hence the tamer name.
                          Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Update On Clutch...

WEll it cranked, rode it around the block.

It did exactly as designed, it'll idle in gear, take off without using the clutch lever......

BUT shifting gears, it bangs em when you gas it back on.
                            Not real good on the drivetrain I think.

END JUDGEMENT.. It is removed and a normal clutch put back in.. if you lived where you rode in rush hour traffic a lot it'd be nice, otherwise, it's a toy to do burnouts with.. like a stall convertor in a car.
                            Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Working...
                            X