Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2x42 shop made belt sander -- now 2x48!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2x42 shop made belt sander -- now 2x48!!

This is a re-visit to this really neat belt sander Lane & I made up some time back, and since it was so pupular last time and we seem to have had quite a few recent "joiners" to the forum, there oughta be a few that might like to check it out.

The sander is taken from a set of plans floating around on several of the forums (unknown originator?). There are 5 pages that will go as an email attachment very easily ... send me a PM with your addy, and I'll send them.

From the start we knew that 2x42 belts weren't one of the more popular sizes, and often talked about doing a remake to accept the much more common 2x48. Since I had made mine up with out the benefit of a C face motor and had to use a 1750rpm running thru a jack shaft --- well, I had a little more reason than just the belt length to want to do a remake. Lane had glommed on a couple nice pieces of 5/8" Aluminum plate and being the nice guy that he is, had rough cut them to the main frames shape (just add 3" to the frame piece), AND I had found a nice 1hp 3450rpm C face motor, so for the last few days this is what Ive been up to.

And yes, the upper and lower wheels ARE the sticky parts to come by, you'll just have to put your best scrounging to work. I still maintain all my casting stuff from my Gingery projects and I cast mine (sorry, no I dont want to get into doing them) Other than the wheels its a really nice HSM project and makes one HECK of a nice shop addition.

Getting the crowning/tracking is/can be a pill sometime! --I've done several and usually is a relatively quick thing --- needless to say this one was giving me a fit, lugged it over to Lanes and with a fresh eye on it (and LOTS of experience!) he spotted the problem ... reversed the top wheel, simple huh!

How bout some of you guys that got the plans before, anybody make one up? How'd it turn out? Got any pix?

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Here you go!

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/sho...t=23230&page=3

Comment

What you trying to do make me look bad Bill . Look as good are better than mine.
      Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
      http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
      http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Belt grinder

Old man got me started on this belt grinder. I want to thank you for your plans, I changed them a bit. It works great and I already have used it a lot. 2"X48"
        digr
        Last edited by digr; 01-28-2010, 09:53 AM.

Comment

side

belt grinder
          digr
          Last edited by digr; 01-28-2010, 09:54 AM.

Comment

flat

belt grinder
            digr
            Last edited by digr; 01-28-2010, 09:54 AM.

Comment

front

belt grinder
              digr
              Last edited by digr; 01-28-2010, 09:55 AM.

Comment

^ What were you welding with your TIG on DC+?
                Andy

Comment

Originally posted by vpt
                  ^ What were you welding with your TIG on DC+?
                  LOL Your supposed to be looking at the belt sander........1/8" 7018

Comment

The plans-the plans!

After I sent Bill Pace a PM asking for the plans, I went googling.
                    If you go to

[URL="http://www.projectsinmetal.com/free-metalworking-project-plans-2-x-42-belt-sander/"]http://www.projectsinmetal.com/free-metalworking-project-plans-2-x-42-belt-sander/

and scroll down to beltsander.pdf, you can download the plans. You might also want to read the article you scrolled thru. (Sorry, but I can't figure out how make the link clickable.)
                    Thanks for the plans, guys.
                    Jim

Comment

Great Sander!

Well here is my first post on this site. I was going to use it to say hello, but this thread caught my eye. I got to tell you, Bill, that sander is sweet. Here I am modifying an old Delta Rockwell 1x42 just so I can grind a few knives, and here this nice rig just pops up! Great work!
                      Sometimes the professional is hidebound by tradition while the skilled amateur, not knowing it can't be done blazes a new trail. -JCHannum

Comment

I've been thinking lately that some clever person that works out the problems with it could double the length of the belt by putting a half twist in it, creating a Mِbius belt in the process. A Mِbius strip has one surface and one edge. The trick is to find a means of doing this without the machine sanding itself to dust.

Mِbius belts are used in non-abrasive systems, and I'd suspect it possible to create a Mِbius belt from segments similar to common segmented drive belts. Not sure what problem it would solve, but that's the case for a lot of abstract concepts

Comment

Working...
                        X