• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dsergison
    replied
    do not breath the fumes.

milk will not save you.

wear respirator AND do it outdoors.

it makes your lungs fill with fluid and you suffocate. if youve goten a headache or you cough... it just means you didnt get enough to kill you, just enough to make you a bit oxygen deprived or sick. if you get too much there is not much people can do for you except watch you die.

Leave a comment:

• Tony
    replied
    like the others said, remove the zinc before you weld.
    since its a fence, MIG should be fine. Note: you can't
    (well, it'd be difficult) to grind the inside.

an option to grinding is muriatic acid. stand the pipes up
    and soak the last 1" or so -- it comes off relatively fast..
    just to be safe leave it outside overnight (fumes).

you'll have to spray it again once you're done or it'll rust
    of course.

-Tony

Leave a comment:

• torker
    replied
    Yes.. I know about all the "dangers" of welding galvanized. Wear a respirator.. simple as that. Not a dust mask.. a canister type resp with approved cans for the material being welded.
    I don't always wear one if I'm outside and there is a breeze.
    Right now I'm about the only shop here that will touch the stuff.
    A lot of weldors don't like it (My weldor hates the stuff)because of the dangers but they also don't like it because it can make you look bad. NOTE... I said grind the coating off where you intend to weld. You're going to bugger it anyway so why not take it off so your welds look better and you cut down on the ugly spatter from trying to weld the coating.
    This is just a small job Mike is talking about... I doubt if he will die right away
    USE A RESPIRATOR!!!!
    Russ

Leave a comment:

• Randolph
    replied
    Yes. Welding galvanized steel will make you sick. It also makes you irritated and frustrated and will cause you to kick your dog if you have one. But it can be done. I have been told that the bad effects of welding galvanized steel are like mercury poisoning. That is, it accumulates in your system. I welded galvanized material when I was in my twenties and thought my father didn't know what he was talking about when he said it would make me sick. But if I weld it now I get a really bad headache so I avoid it altogether. I suggest you weld it with stick outside while there is a breeze blowing. Use either 6010, 6011 or 7018. Drinking milk is supposed to help offset the bad effects.

Leave a comment:

• rwf71
    replied
    I'm a slow typer, looks like Torker is here already. BTW Russ , have you heard it can kill ? Rick

Leave a comment:

• rwf71
    replied
    Caution

I'm no expert but I read of a case recently where an experienced welder who knew better was welding galvanized & in 24 hrs was DEAD. I'd say self contained breathing equipment & good ventalation is a must. Like I said I'm no expert but hopefully one (Torker ?) will weigh in on this thread.Be careful. Rick

Leave a comment:

• torker
    replied
    Mike, we weld lots of galvanized pipe/plate here.
    Field work we use mainly 6010.. in the shop we use dualshield wire.
    Helps if you can grind off a bit of the coating.
    Yup.. it can make you sick if you do enough of it.
    Do it outdoors and stay out of the smoke or use a good canister type respirator.
    Any fencing outfit will have the pipe in stock or your steel guy?
    Russ

Leave a comment:

• madman
    started a topic Welding Galvanized Pipe

Welding Galvanized Pipe

I am building a 10 foot tall galvanized steel pipe fence around a shop. I was wondering do you buy the pipe galvanized already galvanivzed and how do you weld it? Is a Mig Unit preferable to a stick for this purpose?? I heard (word on the nstreet) that welding galvanized steel makes you sick?? Is this true? Thanx Mike
Working...
X