Will these replace my shop lights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will these replace my shop lights?

Just bumped into this yesterday and haven't had a chance to check it out.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6e0_1211748007

I have never heard of this phenomena before...what do you think.
    It's raining here today so all experiments are off until tomorrow.
    Just for yuks I'll keep paying my electricity bill.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

You haven't heard of it before because it appears to be a newly invented scam.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Thanks Evan, that was my first thought too.

Actually my first reaction was...why isn't every pool in the country lit up from dusk till dawn?

And here I spent all day changing all the light sockets to pop bottle threads.

Comment

What I want to see is the old science fiction standby: "The room was illuminated by light with no apparent source..."

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
          What I want to see is the old science fiction standby: "The room was illuminated by light with no apparent source..."
          Yep, thats the standard idea: however, every time I think of that, I think about Stephen King in the Tommyknockers talking about some new energy source the aliens brought in that left every scientist in the world bopping themselves on their forehead and thinking "why the heck didn't we think of that" in it's simplicity.

Comment

Yes they will, but only ....

If you live in the twilight-zone.

Comment

they will work fine so long as you got sun light but other wise i cant see them being any good other wise

Comment

Whatcha can't see is the uranium pellets coated with ceramic akin to the swedish reactor in the bottom of the pepsi bottle..

every trained nuclear employee believes that pvc or plastic sheds most the harmful radiation from you.. hence the saftey of it being in the coke bottle. At least that is what they tell you at hire in..

Of course, my thyroid died soon afterwards. We finished it off with a radioactive pill.. Probably just like the one there in the coke bottle..

*it'd be a blue erriee light huh? ok.. I'll leave now.. OR is it the TIDY bowl water there in the containment pool???
                Last edited by Dawai; 05-25-2008, 12:20 AM.
                Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Now wait a minute....

Are they saying there's some kind of chemical light, like a sort of glow-in-the-dark paint, or that they're just a sort of skylight?

I think they're just skylights. The chlorine keeps the water from getting muddy with bacteria, and daylight is simply refracted through.

I got the impression it's better than a plain hole/window, which would just provide a "spotlight" effect. The water diffuses the light for a more even illumination.

I don't think it's supposed to be a chemical thing- "we charged these up in the sun, then brought them inside where they glowed."

Doc.
                  Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

I just wonder if it ever rains there.. that "poor lady" has a electrical bulb under one of them instant leaks..

Yes.. it's just a crystal clear water sky light Doc..
                    A real skylight would be much better.. melt all them bottles down into a sheet and vacuum form it..
                    Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Doc I think you hit pay dirt.
                      In the first couple of seconds of the clip you can see the bottles sticking out of the corrugated roof, like sky lights.

The caption accompanying the clip is rather misleading though.

A man invented a lightbulb that uses no electricity or batteries which is made from empty plastic bottles filled with water and clorox. The Sun charges the particles creating a chemical reaction, making the bottle illuminate as strongly as a 60-watt electrical lightbulb. The light is bright white.
                      Damn, I still gotta change the rest of the light sockets back before the wife gets home.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Nickel
                        Now wait a minute....

Are they saying there's some kind of chemical light, like a sort of glow-in-the-dark paint, or that they're just a sort of skylight?

I think they're just skylights. The chlorine keeps the water from getting muddy with bacteria, and daylight is simply refracted through.

Doc.
                        That's my impression, they're placed through holes cut in the roof. Some sailboats use the same theory with acrylic 'prisms' to spread the light through the interior. Actualy works pretty well if you have daylight and a thin enough roof to use them that way.

Fiber optics without the fiber, or a lava light.

Good idea that may work in my garage, mot often used during daylight, but not enough windows to use daylight so I always have the lights on.

Ken.

Comment

The title is "Brazilian Invents Luminescent Water-Bottle Lightbulbs". Luminescent means light not caused by heat. Fusion does not fall in that catagory.

So it's really a sky light. But what about the "technician" with the meter who says there is an electrical current "emanating"?

I get the feeling that the reporting is being done by the Brazilian office of the National Inquirer.

Comment

If you listen the technician says light, not power. (catch the 'lumen' part')
                            'Power' would apear to be a bad translation for the subtitles.

Ken.

Comment

Working...
                            X