Wohlhaupter explosion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wohlhaupter explosion

Well, ok, not the usual carnage you might see..

I have this boring head, Wohlhaupter UPA #2, that needed some work.. I dont know much about these.

So I pressed the super secret button on the side. You know, the one that has a do not remove tag that says only for technicians. Well, Im not a tech but I needed to become a lil closer with this tool so I figured its time to press the button.. SPRANG!!! She flopped all her guts out on my table and said HI!!!! LOL

Kinda looked like a 1911 series model .45 so I said, I can do this...

With all the springs, shims, balls, levers, gears and assorted "extras" I started to learn the tool.

They really did put some neat lil gadgets in there. And its pretty much a good quality piece. I like it..

I have had it apart and together a few times already so its a walk in the park now.. I love tearing down stuff like this, guess it started with the toaster when I was a kid in the seventies... Toaster, boring head, all the same, I think. LOL

So just incase anyone wanted to see what the guts of yer boring head looked like here they are.. Splat!!!!! JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

OHH S#### insert bad words here...
    Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

LOL, you could probably sell a sheet with step by step instructions to take it apart and put it back together again.

Cheers,

BW
      ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
      Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
      http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

Damn JR, never woulda guessed all that crap was inside, better U than me

Comment

Whats kinda fun for me is seeing the thought that goes into making this thing.. I had to press oh, I think four, maybe five pins out.

Two of them were covered. Meaning for me, once they were pressed in you couldnt get to the back side of the pin. Meaning you couldnt just press it out cause it was covered on the back end.

But I am thinking.. Now, I cant figure out how to pull the pin. If I just place some of the other parts that are still connected, in a certain position then I could gain just the slightest clearance to push the pin not completely out, but just enough to clear that one pin and release the spring and piston holding the whole affair together...

Once that was out I could disassemble the rest of the item.. Kinda like a puzzle. You cant take these ten pieces apart, which you really need to, until you figure out how to get this simple lil pin clear first...

So, you have at least two of those. The other pins are simple, cept for the long one holding the main gear. I had to grind down one of my cheap HF round punches for the small, long, hole. Still was short so I made a lil 1.5" "helper" rod, extended the reach..

Mostly nutthin but screw drivers, fine picks, and a couple wrenches.. Oh, and the BFS (big f*ckin sledge) to help things along.... Funny, I would rather use a heavier hammer to just barely tap something than use a too light of a head to strike it hard if I need to. More control with the heavy.. I can tap light or hard with the heavy..

So anyway, there are a few springs, a shim, some gears, couple balls, more gears, a rack, and a few pistons working on some rods. Not really bad.. I would never do an automatic tranny for example.. LOL JR

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche
            Kinda looked like a 1911 series model .45 so I said, I can do this..

Nawwwww the 1911 45ACP is easy....looks more like the guts of a 1918 P-08 luger

They need to shut this forum down at least one day a week. I cant believe how much I got done instead of sitting here reading this stuff alla time. Looks like everyone else did too
            Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

Comment

all those parts in a boring head?????? Good luck.
              It's only ink and paper

Comment

OHH S#### insert bad words here...

Comment

Carl: He could've added in a few parts from some watches some stuff from a childs erector set and I would not have noticed the difference..

I was thinking of my grampa's railroad watch I took apart to see how it worked.. springs and gears flew everywhere.. I got whipped so bad I still remember it. I could've put it back to gether if I could have found all the parts..
                  I fixed his tiller a few times, I think I paid him back.. He didn't die mad at me..
                  Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

An Educational Sentence

JR
                    Still was short so I made a lil 1.5" "helper" rod, extended the reach..
                    Always nice to read a post with an educational tip. Jim

Comment

Originally posted by dockrat
                      Nawwwww the 1911 45ACP is easy....looks more like the guts of a 1918 P-08 luger

They need to shut this forum down at least one day a week. I cant believe how much I got done instead of sitting here reading this stuff alla time. Looks like everyone else did too
                      Or one of those tricky Nambu's.

But really,It must be Karma.

Comment

Kinda reminds me of the first time I changed the kick start return soring on a Matchless motorcycle. Undid all the bits it said to undo pulled on outer casing and plop all the gears fell onto the floor .... soon found out how to put a gearbox back together!! Not that I wanted to learn that fast but to my mind its the only way to learn, into the deep end sure learn things quick!!

Peter
                        I have tools I don't know how to use!!

Comment

A good mechanic could have made it work and had parts left over
                          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
                            Haaa.. Well, it seems one of them better mechanics was poking around in this thing before cause it is missing a bearing pin that does need to be there to have a certain function work.. I can make that...

These boring heads are pretty nice. Once you break it open you can see some of the detail in engineering. Minute stuff, like why did they do that, it only helps for the maintenance of the head if you were gonna tear it all down and reassemble. Im impressed, forward thinking.. It is German after all, not saying all countries dont take the time to engineer in the maintenance factor..

And yup, all those lil parts are part of the head. Its a "semi automatic" type head. Meaning it will feed out while holding the top ring, or using a stick of metal to bind the ring. I dont see much use for all that really unless you are doing alot of snap ring grooves. Then its a big time saver.. I dont mind stopping the mill head to adjust the slide out as I do on my other boring heads.

I have another one in a UPA#3 size. A lil bigger and doesnt need repair..

Repair, yup.. I think the brass rack is wore. It looks to have had some heavy use in the smaller bores so the outer (maybe 30% on each end) ends of the brass rack are unused, the center section show a pretty good wear pattern. So what has to be done is snuggin up the gib tension to take any slop out for the small bores but then I cant go further out, it binds cause the gib is too tight..

I dont even want to ask them how much a new brass rack is gonna be and Im not able to make a new one. Not right now anyway.. Kinda beyond my capabilities for time mostly. With all the knowledge I have gained here Im sure I could make one. Just too many other projects that take priority.. I really just wanted to see where the problem was and thats done..

Ok, do the new projects go on the outside or the inside of the Round Tuit???? That is the most important question for me right now.. Haaaaaa Great fun.. Thanks, JR..

Comment

Originally Posted by wierdscience

When I was a diesel mechanic one of the favorite things I liked to do is after overhauling a truckers engine I would tell him, "When I overhauled your engine I had some parts left over so I put them in the pan just in case you ever find out where they go". The look on their face was fun. Then I would tell them I was just kidding.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of them didn't have the pan pulled later to see if anything was in there.

One ran to the foreman and told him and Clyde came out and told me to quit f****ng with the drivers minds. All the time he was grinning.
                              Last edited by Carld; 05-26-2008, 12:18 AM.
                              It's only ink and paper

Comment

Working...
                              X