No announcement yet.

making very small components from A2 or O1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I remember right W-1 tool steel is the baseline for machining in my Carpenter tool steel book. All other steels are graded for comparison from it.
    Last edited by Mcruff; 05-31-2008, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Could well be. I haven't looked up any of this and am operating strictly from memory. Whichever it is I don't think there is any particular "scientific" reason for the choice. In my opinion, I would pick the most machinable and set that as 100% with all the others grades being equal or lower. It's a bit of an oxymoron to have a machinability that is greater than 100%. What does it do, machine itself?
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

From information in several steel and alloy catalogs, it appears that machinability for steel is based on 1212 or 1112 as 100%, while tool steels are based on 1% carbon steel as 100%, which is about 60% machinable compared to 1212.

Brass is based on 360 free machining brass rod as 100% and aluminum on 2011-T3 as 100%.
        Jim H.

Comment

Pardon my ignorance.
          First I've heard of this "machinability" quotient.

Where do alloy steels (incolloy, hastelloy, 316 SS etc) fall in this scale?

How about Ti, Cu?
          Just got my head together
          now my body's falling apart

Comment

You won't find a machinability index for all alloys. The index can't be used even across all steels with any meaning. Superalloys such as hastelloy don't have much in common with other alloys so there isn't much to compare with that has any meaning.

Here is the mechanical properties entry on Matweb for O6 tool steel. Note the the yellow highlighted line:

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
            X