No announcement yet.

Junk gloat and motor advice request...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junk gloat and motor advice request...

Made a trip to the dump... er, landfill today. Somebody had just moments before, tossed a large truckload of bowling alley equipment. Included amongst the debris were a large number of single-phase electric motors:

I eventually sifted out seventeen.

All name brands, like Howell, Marathon, GE, Century and Leyland, three 1/4HP, two 1-1/2HP, and the rest big monster 1HP units. I've tested seven so far; one has a bit of bearing noise, the rest run smooth and quiet.

The question: The two Leyland 1.5HP motors are missing their start caps. The covers and caps got knocked off, I think, when the truckload was dumped, and since technically I wasn't supposed to be "scrounging" anyway, I didn't have an opportunity to search for them. (There was a LOT of other electrical junk too- cables, relay boxes, the scoring consoles, etc.)

The motors themselves look clean- damn near brand new. Can I test the motors without the caps, by spinning it by hand to start? And if they're good, where's a good supplier to get replacement caps and covers?

Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

The pulleys on those motors might be worth something to owners of Brunswick bowling equipment.The GE motors too if they are good.The caps are located in the legs of the frame.

Comment

Hey Doc, GREAT haul! Drool, drool.

I'm no motor expert but if hand spinning doesn't work, could you use one of the functioning motors to spin up the "capless" bigger ones via the their pulleys and a belt?
      Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Sometimes in an emergency (or for a test) you can substitute an incandescent light bulb for the cap. Try a hundred watt bulb, and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by bruto
          Sometimes in an emergency (or for a test) you can substitute an incandescent light bulb for the cap. Try a hundred watt bulb, and see what happens.
          I don't see how that will shift the phase to the start winding.
          Wonder why it works. (You have tried it I take it)
          ...lew...

Comment

Go back and get the relays! They frequently have silver contacts in them!
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

You can start the motors by hand., I have been using my bench grinder for years with a missing cap. On ebay there is a starter called "quickstart" used in aircondiner compressors that has a solid state relay built in. $4 to $6 generly. I have had good luck using them to start rpcs. Good haul, they are worth about 30 cents a pound at recyclers if they are bad.
              re
              Herm Williams

Comment

we have a recycling depot here in Dunoon the guy who works there if you want somthing makes you pay for it.Although he doesn't own it any more than you do he simply does this to get extra money of course you have to pay him discretly lil bastardo.Alistair
                Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
                  Go back and get the relays! They frequently have silver contacts in them!
                  -I wish I could. Keep in mind it's a functioning landfill; where those parts were dumped just yesterday, is now twenty to thirty feet back in the pile by now. And they have several signs posted that say "No Scrounging"- I don't know how thoroughly they enforce it, but as I was loading the last motor, one of the employees was driving up in an endloader, presumably to shift the pile around.

Yeah, if I'd had the time and tools, I'd have probably ended up putting about a third of the junkpile back on my truck.

Doc.
                  Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick
                    I don't see how that will shift the phase to the start winding.
                    Wonder why it works. (You have tried it I take it)
                    ...lew...
                    I have long ago, and it did work. It shouldn't, and I don't know why it does.

Comment

Caps,Grainger,McMaster-Carr or a heat and air place.

Covers,make your own,or if you buy caps they same place can usually supply you with the bakelite covers that fit the ends,they cover the terminals and that's all you really need unless you just want to cut some sheet metal
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Landfill find

Where is this landfill? In the USA? All that kind of stuff is recycleable and paying extremely well right now! My local landfill makes you dump everything on a sorting floor just to make sure 1. it is NOT recycleable, 2.it is legal to dump in a land fill (not toxics!). Even taking those motor as is to the junk yard is worth a good bit of cash right now. Tear them apart and sort for copper, alum. and other metals could triple your benifits!

mark61

Comment

Working...
                        X