Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT - Looked up "argumentative" in the dictionary...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carl - I thought that was nice

Comment

Hope it's alright to hijack this thread..
      Hey DT... you ol' burger flipper You got any old VN catalogs kicking around?
      Thanks!
      Russ
      I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Originally posted by Milacron of PM
        And Renegade, I've been happily married to the same woman for 26 years...my first and only wife too.. how many here can say the same ?
        28 years next month for me.

You say your happily married to your wife, does she think the same?

Comment

Originally posted by Carld

Don, I thought you said several times you are never going to come to this site again. On one post reciently you said all info about the PM site can be found on the Caski site and not here. But, hi anyway.
          I never said I was never going to come to this site again. What I said was I was never going to post any notices of PM being down here again.

I never said so, but I also avoid posting any new threads here like the plague, since I am so polarizing. But if someone posts some total BS about me and I happen to see it, I will sometimes respond. I also occassionally respond to subjects that I happen to see that I feel I can contribute something.

But no more *starting* new threads over here from me....that's the distintinction.

Comment

Originally posted by Renegade
            28 years next month for me.

You say your happily married to your wife, does she think the same?
            You want her cell phone number so you can ask ? What a stupid question... for an internet forum anyway... I mean if I say yes, you probably won't believe me anyway....so what's the point ?
            Last edited by Milacron of PM; 06-01-2008, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Milacron of PM
              What a stupid question... for an internet forum anyway... I mean if I say yes, you probably won't believe me anyway....so what's the point ?
              If its such a stupid question then what do you think most of your OT questions are ........................Intelligent?LMAO

She must be one HE!! of a woman is all I can say.

Comment

Originally posted by torker
                Hope it's alright to hijack this thread..
                Hey DT... you ol' burger flipper You got any old VN catalogs kicking around?
                Thanks!
                Russ
                VN is one of the few machine tools I don't have old literature on, sorry. The 8 filing cabinet brochure collection I have, some files had water damage, apparently from a sprinkler system that went off decades ago, and I vaguely recall cringing as I threw away the damaged VN literature.

Comment

Thanks Don!
                  I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Now dp, be nice, I have a feeling Don is not the way he comes across in the forums. All that aside I do enjoy reading his posts in his threads and while caustic they have merrit. Many are the times I have clasped my hands to control the temptation to make a similiar post, but haven't we all.

I am sitting here posting while listening and watching a video of Mance Lispcomb, one of my favorite blues players, so this may have an effect on calming me some. He is, after all, an outstanding blues player/singer, Much like Mississippi John Hurt my other top favorite. Ummm, Jack O' Diamonds Was a Hard, Hard Card To Play.

Very interesting. I also learned to love the blues and traditional players of whom you speak, and others two. Back in the 1960's when the Ash Grove was still open in Los Angeles, both Mance Lipscomb and Lightnin' Hopkins were frequent players. I saw both of them in person several times through the years

I also got to see Big Mama Thornton, Odetta, Doc Watson, Brownie McGhee and Sonny Terry, Muddy Waters, Son House, The New Lost City Ramblers and many other groups of the day.

Sadly, I never got to see Mississippi John Hurt and I guess he's gone now, like many of the others. They were a wonderful group of musicians, for sure. Each show was a free music lesson for me and I still play guitar, mandolin and banjo.

As to the issues about PM, it makes no difference to me how someone else acts. You'll be OK over there as long as you don't talk about your lower level equipment, It's a good place to lurk but that's about it.

It kinda made me smile recently though when I saw the thread where M was looking for a HurdyGurdy. Anyone who collects musical instruments can't be all bad. I've got quite a collection myelf.
                    Last edited by gnm109; 06-01-2008, 11:16 PM.

Comment

I recently posted a reply to Milacron, on PM. He was asking about ways to make a "keypad" for a CNC control, either outside or in house.

Knowing Don's penchant for perfection, I did my best.

The result: I feel I got slammed because I didn't know that a "keypad" in the CNC manuals is a graphic overlay. No switches, or electrics.

And, I'll bet he never checked into my last suggestion to look at Kinko's (sign shop) for the graphic overlay portion of the keypad. If he did, it sure wasn't mentioned, even if it didn't suit his exact needs, I would like to have known why, since I plan to use them for a project.

I understand some of Milacron's frustrations with the board, it is popular, many posters.
                      But, it also has prolific "post whores" intent on replying to ANYTHING. Totally irrelevant of their knowledge. I have no clue how to solve this problem.

In response, I read only a few threads of interest, I probably miss a lot of good info.

I'm agree with Forrest, and my response is to NEVER reply to Milacron again.

I'm sure he will welcome my lack of participation, but there may come the time when 30+ years in research might save his ass. No longer an option.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by kurt w
                        Yep. PM has gone down hill, it used to be a nice place, but for the last few years Don has gone power mad IMO.
                        What?? And who the hell are you?? Six posts and you decide to chime in about whatever. Why dont you just stick to a project you have done lately?

Down hill?? LOL Thats too funny, trolling for responses, yer a good troll cause I responded..

I like ALL the free groups on the internet. Nuthing but very useful info and I learn from all of them..

Bashing one group on another group is just plain childish..

There is no such thing as a perfect anything. We just use what we can. And I use all the groups, even the News groups (as busy as the talk can be)...

So, if PM is going down hill in yer opinion so be it.. Haaa.. I can use alot of the information just fine.

Troll!!!!!! JR
                        My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

gmn109, I sure wish I had been able to see them in person like you did. yes MJH is dead. He died in 1969 I think. I play acustic fingerstyle blues
                          It's only ink and paper

Comment

gmn109, I sure wish I had been able to see them in person like you did. yes MJH is dead. He died in 1969 I think. I play acustic fingerstyle blues

Yes, I don't pretend that I ever got as great as they, but I sure learned from them. Also, as you probably know, it's possible to pick up a great deal from the recordings of the greats. Those are still available.

I had a small musc store in Los Angeles for about ten years with my brother and I learned to do repairs on acoustic instruments, primarily guitars.

So as to relate this to machinery, I atually got into home machining through woodwork for guitar repairs. Some of the machinery I accumulated and still have are things like a 14" Delta Rockwell Bandsaw and a ca. 1948 Parks Wood Plane that can do up to 4" X 12". I restored that one with the help of my dear late father. We used about a gallon of phosphoric to get the rust off. It has a 2 HP reverse induction Emerson motor that is the size of a watermelon. I also have the usual scroll saws and a Delta-Rockwell 10" Contractor's saw with a belt drive motor. For a dust collector I have a Cyclone brand, made in US that sits on top of a 55 gallon barrel with a two hp Baldor motor.

The woodworking equipment is all American equipment, I might add.....in case anyone from PM is watching. Ha.

I later went into metal work but alas, my budget and repair skills would only permit Asian equipment for a lathe and Mill Drill at that time. I do have American welding equipment however, a Victor O-A setup, a new Miller Syncrowave 200 for TIG and Stick and a near-new Lincoln SP 175 plus MIG so I'm set there.

I did look at a whole bunch of used American equipment like lathes and milling machines in my budget range about 15 years ago when I got into the metal work but the condition on most of them was so dreadful that it scared me off so I bought new Asian. That's the way it goes~!

I think that this is a terrific site and I hope to learn and also contribute eventually. I've been sick and mostly in bed for the past 6 months having my hip rebuilt but I'l be back in the shop this summer so I hope to provide pictures of some of my projects.

By the way, anyone who plays guitar is OK in my book!
                            Last edited by gnm109; 06-02-2008, 12:38 AM.

Comment

gnm109, Yes, I try to learn from the videos and have a friend in Georgia I visit from time to time that is a killer blues player and nails the old players. Well hell, he's right in the middle of it and knows many of the living and dead Atlanta blues players.

As far as equipment I have a CamTak Tiawan lathe and a MillPort Tiawan mill. Both are very good and very accurate. I always buy the best quality I can afford in machinery.
                              It's only ink and paper

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche
                                What?? And who the hell are you?? Six posts and you decide to chime in about whatever.

Troll!!!!!! JR
                                JR, I have no beef with anyone (but DT) on this board, but since when does post count have to do with their IQ or whether they can reply to a thread or not, maybe a section for new members only and then they can post with the regulars after X amount of intelligent replies.

We all had a first post, and harassing new/low post count members only drives them off to somewhere else.

Comment

Working...
                                X