Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT - Looked up "argumentative" in the dictionary...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JRouche
    What?? And who the hell are you?? Six posts and you decide to chime in about whatever. Why dont you just stick to a project you have done lately?

Down hill?? LOL Thats too funny, trolling for responses, yer a good troll cause I responded..

I like ALL the free groups on the internet. Nuthing but very useful info and I learn from all of them..

Bashing one group on another group is just plain childish..

There is no such thing as a perfect anything. We just use what we can. And I use all the groups, even the News groups (as busy as the talk can be)...

So, if PM is going down hill in yer opinion so be it.. Haaa.. I can use alot of the information just fine.

Troll!!!!!! JR
    I am who I am. Been here sense 2-05-07 just don't post much. I guess you started with 1'000 post.
    "Bashing one group on another group is just plain childish.."
    Is what you just did any deferent? Is bashing another member any better?
    I was not trolling for anything and I could care less if anyone responded.

Comment

Troll (Internet)
      From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      • Ten things you may not know about Wikipedia •Jump to: navigation, search
      "Do not feed the trolls" and its abbreviation DNFTT redirects here. For the Wikipedia essay, see Wikipedia:What is a troll?
      An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial and usually irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response[1] or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.[2]

Contents [hide]
      1 Etymology
      1.1 Early history
      2 Identity trolling
      3 Usage
      4 Concern troll
      5 See also
      6 References
      7 External links
      7.1 Troll FAQs

[edit] Etymology

Comment

PM

Nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Comment

oops posted in the wrong thread

pm is aight with me

Comment

Don from PM is a freakin jerk.

I recommend everyone be a smart ass jerk right back at him and tell him what a dumb ass peice of crap he is.

Comment

Originally posted by Renegade
              JR, I have no beef with anyone (but DT) on this board, but since when does post count have to do with their IQ or whether they can reply to a thread or not,

We all had a first post, and harassing new/low post count members only drives them off to somewhere else.
              Yer right, a post count does not give you any special anything to be talking crap about anyone else. But credibility lends something with what you have posted before. And a guy that hasn't posted ANYTHING decides to chime up when the smack talking starts leads me to believe he is just a troll.

And my point is to NOT drive anyone off. But most new posters are usually easy on the personal bashing of another person. You know, just like the new guy in the shop. He doesn't usually start the first week off with talking sh!t about the other lathe operator. JR
              My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Originally posted by kurt w
                I am who I am. Been here sense 2-05-07 just don't post much. I guess you started with 1'000 post.
                "Bashing one group on another group is just plain childish.."
                Is what you just did any deferent? Is bashing another member any better?
                I was not trolling for anything and I could care less if anyone responded.
                And yer right, for me to say anything negative about you was indeed childish on my part.. Thats my downfall in life, my mouth always leads the brain, thats immaturity...

But I see you dont post ANYTHING but decide this is the best contribution you could give to this group. Hopping on the bandwagon to talk crap. Ok, it MAY be a real issue for you, this topic. It appeared trollish to me so I called it so.....

Keep up the useful posts and Ill be reading... JR
                My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

I guess I just don't get that bothered by "Milacron"......

And that after I got a bit of the "why would you even post that" treatment recently, although I admit I gave some back as well.......

I see his point. And I regularly see, here and elsewhere, the chiming in of folks who "almost sorta know about something a bit like that"............. to answer questions where "definite knowledge only" is requested.

The "noise" is often deafening, and probably drives away the people who DO know.

Sounds like a bunch of airhead 14 year olds here..... like "Do you know what she had the nerve to say?............................."

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers
                    I see his point. And I regularly see, here and elsewhere, the chiming in of folks who "almost sorta know about something a bit like that"............. to answer questions where "definite knowledge only" is requested.

The "noise" is often deafening, and probably drives away the people who DO know.
                    Yep! I have quit answering and usually even reading threads that
                    involve the kind of electrical and electronic subjects that I worked on
                    for 40 years because of all the "incorect to just plain bad" advice from
                    others that havent a clue what they are talking about.
                    I took up metal working just before I retired so am still in the
                    "don't know it all but have learned a few good pointers" stage so
                    try to keep up with those.
                    ...lew...

Comment

....Very interesting thread!!!
                      John M...your (un)usual basement dweller

Comment

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick
                        Yep! I have quit answering and usually even reading threads that involve the kind of electrical and electronic subjects that I worked on for 40 years because of all the "incorect to just plain bad" advice from others that havent a clue what they are talking about.
                        Interesting; my experience was similar. When it was widely touted as the "go-to" place for advice about rotary converters, I took a look and was a bit nonplussed to find what bizarre rubbish passed there for good technical advice. I looked at something else, though I don't recall exactly what - I think maybe some confident hogwash about precision spindle bearings. Now of course that's just two for two, and doesn't really prove anything; but I never felt a motivation to look at anything else, and have just given it a pass ever since.

Considering all the paeans of praise about what a "great resource" it is, I thought I was the only one who found it a general waste of time. But, maybe not.

Comment

Welcome to the Internet. Unless a forum has moderators who are true experts in everything that might be talked about and they are going to be editing posts for accuracy it is up to the reader to try and pick out who seems to have a real clue.

Funny, that seems to apply off the Internet too, as I've talked to 'experts' at brick and mortar businesses in real life who seemed to lack an understanding of their subject.

I've learned lots of useful stuff at PM and met some very informed and helpful people who have given me some very appreciated help. That is true for many other fora too.

But the responsibility for the final decision always rests with the person who has asked for the advice.

cheers,
                          Michael

Comment

Rantbot: Gleaning good info from messageboards requires the patience and persistance of a finch picking grain out of horse poo. I'm pretty active on a couple of boards and regard myself as moderately expert on a number of topics. Fully half my posts deal with squeching hazardous bad advise and wrongheaded concepts.

A few years ago I tried to establish a trend where posts on electrical matters contained a brief statment of the electrical qualifications of the poster. (Know nothing about electricity but I helped my brother in law pulle wire one week end. EE speciaizing on high voltage switchgear. Licenced electrician. Etc.) Rod Peterson who is a true expert on electrical matters and whose advice can be trusted calls it "the Addy disclaimer." I think it helps the questioner to distinguish chalk from cheese especially when issues like electrical safety are part of the equasion.

Many people need simple advice on pulley ratios, use of coolant in the home shop, RPC's, even painting of concrete floors but the noise level is so high and there is so much conflicting bad advice good advice is all but drowned out. It's the task of the public spirited few to persist... etc but personally I like to butt heads with the ignorant. So if you have something to offer in the line of expertise it will earn you points to use it to allay ignorance. If you can do it diplomatically, so much the better.
                            Last edited by Forrest Addy; 06-03-2008, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Milacron of PM
                              A little birdie told me that Too_Little_Sense was over here "doing what he does". Apparently since I kicked him off PM he's been obscesssed with me.

Anyway, to address Carld's comments in particular, "in person" I am different, but it has nothing to do with "hiding behind the keyboard". In real life I am much more tolerant of gafts and stupidity, simply because I am guiltly of so many gafts myself. Real time conversation is a very different ballgame from posting on an internet forum. On a forum you have plenty of time to think and consider what you are about to post. And unlike "real life" you can even "do over" via editing. Thus in "real life" I am rarely critical of others, but in "forum life", I just see no excuse for much of the BS that gets posted, and will call someone on it.

Also, to tryp.... you have hit the nail squarely on the head sir, thank you. So refreshing to see someone "gets it"...especially the part about folks that assume that because you ask a question about a subject, that you apparently know *nothing* about that subject and are therefore free to chatter on ad infinitum about every possible side issue connected with that subject. When the reality may be that you may be an expert on that subject and know pretty much everything there is to know on it, *except* the one thing you are asking the question on !

And Renegade, I've been happily married to the same woman for 26 years...my first and only wife too.. how many here can say the same ?

Anyhoo, I'm sure this won't quell the flames that will follow, mostly boiling down to "but why can't you be nicer ?" but that's my comments for the day...now time to go sailing.
                              Right on que...LOL...bullies are so predictable.

Thank you Donnie....can I have yet another dope slap?

Please...pretty please....with sugar on it.

So ...how's that cash flow problem of yours going?

You reap what you sow Little Big Man.

Laugh...laugh...laugh....

TMT

Comment

OT-Argumentative

TMT,

At this moment none of us know what or why any one of us is 'grumpy'
                                A long while back, I wrote of what was going to happen because I could see a slump coming up. I wrote of rising fuel prices and inefficient vehicles.
                                At Christmas, the market went arse over tit with loans which were not going to be paid back. It was in the US but the ripples ran back to just across the road from here. The second biggest mortgage firm wentbust. Today, another British 'biggy' had to have 23% of its wealth bought out. Since Christmas, fuel prices in Europe not just the UK are rocketting up- and there is more to come. I was in HongKong and my mates are Chinese and China is importing rice. At the moment, house prices are dropping and the threat of negative equity faces thousands. It is not merely happening in the UK but it is in Spain and France. Food- coupled with all sorts of troubles is rising by- 25% or more in 6 months.
                                Banks are not lending money to people who haven't got the money and credit cards are becoming a joke.

The crunch comes- not perhaps with Don directly but every big firm and little firm and the man in the street- with an empty begging bowl.
                                Do remember that you too are part of the system- and that you are not going to get more than scrap for your tools or they may rust. You may not have a job, you may have a starving family and your washers may not be worth a plugged nickel. Will anyone want you- or give you a crust? Not when their own bellies are empty.

You see, TMT, I am an old, old man and in 1929, the year that I was conceived, men jumped from the NY skyscrapers. They had reached the end of the road.

Before you start a further tirade, take one step back and see yourself of where you will be at Christmas 2008 and Christmas 2009. Don will have his own problems. So, believe me, will you.

There is barely time to build your defences- I suggest that you concentrate on yourself and your own problems!

Me? I saw it happening. My problems- health and age only

Norm

Comment

Working...
                                X