Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT - Looked up "argumentative" in the dictionary...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Looked up "argumentative" in the dictionary...

It would seem some people never change....

Offer one's help on PM and you get a dope slap free of charge from Don...

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...d.php?t=159053

Please Don...can we have another?

"Don, I hope I never have to rescue you from a burning building. You'd citicize my every move, my first aid technique, the way I picked you up and carried you, the route I took through the inferno, and utterly forget when we finally emerged into fresh air and safety that I was not only being helpful but I did it for free.

"The people who post here on PM are mere mortals: flawed maybe but with good intentions and quite often with genuine expertise. Most of them display good manners and common courtesy. If their free help doesn't suit you, why don't you hire experts that will give you the kind of answers you prefer? Then if they fail in the smallest detail, you can fire them thus imposing vengance for earing your wrath.

"I suggest you try "please" and "thank you" once in a while even if the help offered you seems misguided. It won't be fatal to you."
    Last edited by Forrest Addy; 06-01-2008, 06:47 AM.

Comment

The source of Forrest's consternation. Even after answering a question he gets slammed.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...d.php?t=158812

A large number of M's posts are questions about this or that that would be locked if by another member. They quite often end up with responses of this sort yet, for some reason, the members still attempt to answer them.
      Jim H.

Comment

Yep. PM has gone down hill, it used to be a nice place, but for the last few years Don has gone power mad IMO.

Comment

You don't have to wonder what it would be like to live under his roof.
          As I've stated before I feel sorry for his wife and son.

Comment

To be honest, I like Millacron hes a no bull**** kinda guy and to the point.

I think that he just gets tired of asking a question hoping to be answered by a guru in the subject that assumes he has above average knowledge. And he gets blasted with a whole crapload of answers assuming he knows nothing, by people that know less about the subject in question and lots of answers that just miss the point entirely.

I've given him a suggestion after reading one of his queries with average care and it was the exact thing he was looking for, yet in the same thread people suggested everything from "don't do it its unsafe" to "jury rig it like this" when he wanted a simple commercial solution but couldnt quite find it.

Mind you the link just posted is quite funny maybe hes having a bad day, I couldnt be bothered to read the whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by tryp
              To be honest, I like Millacron hes a no bull**** kinda guy and to the point.

I think that he just gets tired of asking a question hoping to be answered by a guru in the subject that assumes he has above average knowledge. And he gets blasted with a whole crapload of answers assuming he knows nothing, by people that know less about the subject in question and lots of answers that just miss the point entirely.

I've given him a suggestion after reading one of his queries with average care and it was the exact thing he was looking for, yet in the same thread people suggested everything from "don't do it its unsafe" to "jury rig it like this" when he wanted a simple commercial solution but couldnt quite find it.

Mind you the link just posted is quite funny maybe hes having a bad day, I couldnt be bothered to read the whole thing.

So from what I hear , He is not unlike Wolfie.

Comment

I use to (up till yesterday) read that group right after this one. I seldom
                contributed but did occaisonally. However the latest bit on the ads
                that take longer to load than it does to read the posts and it happens
                on every page was the last straw. I left a note to post over here if
                it get fixed. :-) As to Dons OT questions, I ususlly ignored them. :-)
                ...lew...

Comment

Don has a nice site and it's very interesting. Don is his own worst enemy in his threads. I really wonder what his personality is in person because on the site he comes off as caustic to me. Rather than just ignore a post he will belittle the poster. Wouldn't it be better to say nothing.

You really can't judge a person by the threads and posts because many people hide behind the keyboard and use the personality they can't use face to face. I guess it's a way of releasing pent up emotions.

There are many of the people on PM and HSM that I would like to meet without them knowing who I am. I could see the real day to day person then and see if they are disadent and rant in real life as much as on the sites.
                  It's only ink and paper

Comment

Originally posted by Carld
                    Don has a nice site and it's very interesting. Don is his own worst enemy in his threads. I really wonder what his personality is in person because on the site he comes off as caustic to me. Rather than just ignore a post he will belittle the poster. Wouldn't it be better to say nothing.

You really can't judge a person by the threads and posts because many people hide behind the keyboard and use the personality they can't use face to face. I guess it's a way of releasing pent up emotions.

There are many of the people on PM and HSM that I would like to meet without them knowing who I am. I could see the real day to day person then and see if they are disadent and rant in real life as much as on the sites.
                    A little birdie told me that Too_Little_Sense was over here "doing what he does". Apparently since I kicked him off PM he's been obscesssed with me.

Anyway, to address Carld's comments in particular, "in person" I am different, but it has nothing to do with "hiding behind the keyboard". In real life I am much more tolerant of gafts and stupidity, simply because I am guiltly of so many gafts myself. Real time conversation is a very different ballgame from posting on an internet forum. On a forum you have plenty of time to think and consider what you are about to post. And unlike "real life" you can even "do over" via editing. Thus in "real life" I am rarely critical of others, but in "forum life", I just see no excuse for much of the BS that gets posted, and will call someone on it.

Also, to tryp.... you have hit the nail squarely on the head sir, thank you. So refreshing to see someone "gets it"...especially the part about folks that assume that because you ask a question about a subject, that you apparently know *nothing* about that subject and are therefore free to chatter on ad infinitum about every possible side issue connected with that subject. When the reality may be that you may be an expert on that subject and know pretty much everything there is to know on it, *except* the one thing you are asking the question on !

And Renegade, I've been happily married to the same woman for 26 years...my first and only wife too.. how many here can say the same ?

Anyhoo, I'm sure this won't quell the flames that will follow, mostly boiling down to "but why can't you be nicer ?" but that's my comments for the day...now time to go sailing.

Comment

Ot-??????????????????

Carld,
                      Apart from being a Wail of a Walloping Window Blind stuck in the Bay of Biscay what is is a 'disadent'?

Gracias

Norm

Comment

From Carls personal dictionary, disadent, one who goes against anything that anyone else says. Always takes the other side of any statement or issue.

Will that work?

Well, Don, I would still like to meet you someday but I still feel it would be better to just ignore a foolish or non answer reply. The reason I would like to meet some in person is just as you described of yourself. I think most are really good people to know in person but not necessarily on a forum.

There are several times I have typed a caustic reply only to delete most of it and type a gentle reply. Other times I felt justified going caustic but only when treated that way by another. To me it's if pushed, push back. I hate it when I fall into that trap.

Don, I thought you said several times you are never going to come to this site again. On one post reciently you said all info about the PM site can be found on the Caski site and not here. But, hi anyway.

Oh, I've been married to the same girl for 44 years now.
                        Last edited by Carld; 06-01-2008, 12:56 PM.
                        It's only ink and paper

Comment

Argumentative

Carld,
                          My apologies. I thought that you had written a poem and after re-ckecking, found the author to be a 'Charles. E Carryl'

A bit of reads
                          'The man at the wheel was taught to feel
                          contempt for the wildest blow
                          And it often appeared when the weather had cleared
                          that he had been in his bunk below'

or if you must have it
                          'A case of arse salt
                          and battery'

Ooops

Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Carld

Don, I thought you said several times you are never going to come to this site again. On one post reciently you said all info about the PM site can be found on the Caski site and not here. But, hi anyway.
                            Once a week or so Don's inner drama queen pops out bristling with petulance, ruffles the creases from her crumpled skirts, shares a Tourette like outburst, then disappears again, waiting for the next moment of high drama. This is one such, there will be more.

Comment

Now dp, be nice, I have a feeling Don is not the way he comes across in the forums. All that aside I do enjoy reading his posts in his threads and while caustic they have merrit. Many are the times I have clasped my hands to control the temptation to make a similiar post, but haven't we all.

I am sitting here posting while listening and watching a video of Mance Lispcomb, one of my favorite blues players, so this may have an effect on calming me some. He is, after all, an outstanding blues player/singer, Much like Mississippi John Hurt my other top favorite. Ummm, Jack O' Diamonds Was a Hard, Hard Card To Play.
                              Last edited by Carld; 06-01-2008, 02:07 PM.
                              It's only ink and paper

Comment

Working...
                              X