Resurrection!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resurrection!!

For probably the time in 90 years, my M1918 Mauser Anti-Tank Rifle fired again! Although it was only black powder as the propellant, it did fire.

My “local” range is 125 miles one-way so I just couldn’t wait to try it out. I turned two wooden bullets and pushed them down the barrel just as muzzle loader would do it. My two aluminum cases were loaded with 70 grains of Pyrodex RS and both fired the wooden bullets into the dirt berm. I didn’t want to shoot lead bullets as there are too many homes near by. When I do go the range I will be using 330 gr. lead cast bullets, 0.430” diameter. I have gotten 54 caliber plastic sabots for the 43 caliber bullets and have turned the sabots down to 0.525” diameter. I will try these when I go the range.

This test firing did show one problem that I thought would occur – blow-by around the sides of the case. The aluminum case doesn’t fire form so it will not seal the chamber. I am going to look into putting an O-ring on the outside of the case where the neck and first taper start, to seal the chamber and prevent the blow back of the gases. I was wise enough to use a broom handle to do the firing and not put my face behind the chamber.

Won’t get to range for a month or so but will give up-date when I get back. I also think I have come up with a way to modify 50 BMG cases to fit this gun. If they do work, I’ll then be firing it smokeless powder and loads that were intended to be shot in the gun.

Bill
    Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

If you don't want to post pictures you can email me a couple.. [email protected]

I love big guns.. don't have any.. but love big bore..

I had the money out in my hand to buy a barret Light 50.. put it back.. walked around the gun show, then went home.. Have been upset ever since.. I watched as IO made his 50 shoot.. kinda bit my lip in envy..

I ogled the 50 on top of a AR15 bottom.. I forget the brand, Thrud put me on it..

I think of how much fun them things are, then buy more streetrod or harley parts.
    Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Bill that's pretty cool! You make me nervous with the "O" ring idear!
      Reminds me of my gunsmith days.
      A local guide outfitter here wanted me to build him a stock for his custom rifle. He even had a beautiful blank of Claro.
      "Sure"... Ooops! The rifle was a Ross straight pull bolt action. He'd had it rebarrelled for a Weatherby 300 mag. I was to build the stock, glass bed it then fire it too see if all would be ok. Thankyou!
      Ended up putting the stock in a tire and pulling the trigger with a string.
      Funny looking thing held the rounds ok. Headspace was good... no split brass..
      Ya.. then hoist that up to your shoulder and pull the trigger... I never liked that thing.
      He shot a lot of game with it and never had a problem.
      Old military straight pull bolt mated to a 300 W mag. That thing was spooky.
      Russ
      I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

I ogled the 50 on top of a AR15 bottom.. I forget the brand, Thrud put me on it..
        I'm sure there's more than one, could it be the Ultra-Mag 50?
        http://www.ultramag50.com/
        "The men the American people admire most extravagantly are the greatest liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth." H. L. Mencken

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."

"When fear rules, reason and logic are ruled out."

Comment

Blow-by

This test firing did show one problem that I thought would occur – blow-by around the sides of the case.
          Last edited by Charlie Rose; 06-01-2008, 07:44 PM. Reason: Hit "enter" too soon
          Lumpsmith

Comment

Not Enough..

Progun:

that model:
            Not enough barrel length to gather all the power from the 50bmg cartridge.. I think it will make a beautiful flame thrower for about ten feet.

I shot some slower burning rifle powder 44 magnums in my super blackhawk and was noticing "where" the kick went?? It was a 44 special type kick.. Loaded a pistol powder round I had loaded and "there" it was..
            Shot at night, the flame was about six feet long.
            Quite beautiful.. took about ten minutes to see again.. but pretty..

I ruined that gun, it has my name engraved on the barrel.. My son has the same name.. so he knows he is inheriting it.. someday.. when I am done with it..
            David

BILL: I did have a five gallon bucket of 50 BMG cases.. somewhere... Do I need to look for you or is your gun eroded out? have you done a cast?
            Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Well I'm not sure how that happened but what I ment to say is, you don't have enough pressure to expand your case with a wooden bullet. It will work better with a real bullet but you really need one that weighs 500gr or more.
              Lumpsmith

Comment

Dave E:

Watson's weapons has a .50 upper also for the AR. They advertise in Shotgun News. Just for your information, not an owner of one. I shoot .50 BMG through a subcal device inside my M18A1 57mm recoilless rifle. The closest range here is a state park. I'll never forget the first time I asked the range officer if .50 was OK, he said as long as it's not full auto you're good. He then watched w/ his jaw down as I hauled out the piece, placed it on the tripod...I had to give him a little tour of the gun. He actually called his boss...to come and fire a few rounds. They had a hoot.

Edit: Big boy, congrats, that's a fine piece you have...where did you pick it up?
                Last edited by recoilless; 06-02-2008, 03:02 PM.
                I bury my work

Comment

.50 upper on an AR-15 lower for less than $1300, try Bohica.

"A clip on 50 BMG upper conversion for your existing AR-15™ rifle!

Introductory priced at only $1,245.00"

http://www.bohicaarms.com/
                  Last edited by lathehand; 06-02-2008, 04:48 PM.

Comment

You guys a frickin' Machinists, Build a 50 cal.

only cost you $500

Comment

Responses to Questions

For all who wanted pictures, see below. The pink yard stick is just that, a yard long reference. The two aluminum cases I made are in the pictures too.

To respond to the questions asked:

Recoilless - I got the rifle about 15-18 years ago. Got it through SGN. The guy who had it got it from his grandfather who brought it home. Couldn't get any story on the gun. He had several offers from others who wanted it to convert it to 50 BMG. I told him I had no desire to convert it and wanted to keep it in its original condition. He ended up selling it to me.

Charlie Rose - As I stated, I suspected there would be a blow-by problem. I got the 330 gr. bullets and have 500 gr. bullets on back order. I will be shooting both 330 and 500 gr. bullets with Pyrodex until I can get my brass case proble solved. I think I have a way to modifiy 50 BMG brass to make it work but need to do more design work.

David Cofer - The bore is bright and shiney as it probably has had no more that one or two hundred rounds at the most fired through it. If you do have some extra 50 BMG brass, let me know and we can make some deal so I can get some. Also the picture are for you. The gun came without the bipod and did I have a search to find an original and correct one. It took 5 years but I finally did find the one that I have on the gun.

Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

Comment

That's a classic!
                        I bury my work

Comment

Now THAT's what a Magnum Mauser looks like! (None of that wimpy Ultra Mag [email protected]!) Very nice piece, indeed. Good luck on converting the .50 bmg brass to work.

David
                          Montezuma, IA
                          David Kaiser
                          “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
                          ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Working...
                          X