babbitt bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• babbitt bearings

instead of babbitt bearings could i use bearing bronze or something else on my new drillpress?

thanks
    Jason

Yes. Gary P. Hansen
    In memory of Marine Engineer Paul Miller who gave his life for his country 7-19-2010 Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Freedom is not free, it is paid for with blood.

Comment

Bronze will work fine for a while. Babbit is some slick stuff thats why
      it is used at saw mills and even the engine bearing on your car.

Babbit is kick ass stufff..

Comment

If you could get it in the right size sintered bronze bearings will work as good as babbit and keep some oil in place.
        Peter
        I have tools I don't know how to use!!

Comment

Some large machine tools have babbit high speed rapid traverse clutches. its not just a simple as some would think.It works like a champ..

babbit can be cast in place and rebuild driveshafts and spindles to no end with skill, it is an art and an science.

God bless the kids who want to learn whats up....

Comment

Where would someone find babbit to play with? I don't think I'd mind paying for ingots unless they were priced like gold.....

Comment

Babbitt
              Babbitt in stock Now! Delivery Now. Quality for 28 years. ISO 9001:2000
              www.Nuclead.com
              n.

Any of several soft, silvery antifriction alloys composed of tin usually with small amounts of copper and antimony.

[After Isaac Babbitt (1799–1862), American inventor who patented such an alloy.]

thnx, jack vines

Comment

Only problem is most commercial suppliers require a 50 lb minimum order for true bearing babbit.If some one really want some send me an email or PM and I'll give you a shout. I still have 15 or 20 ingots of it I use to make main bearings on a type of antique engines I rebuild, I can still get rod bearings...just no mains so I make my own.

The ingots are roughly 2 x 8 x 1 inches and weigh around 4 lbs.
                Last edited by Mad Machinist; 06-04-2008, 05:48 PM.
                R. N. Koester
                ASE Certified Master Engine Machinist

Comment

you can also find babbitt on e-bay. quite often there is a seller that has "Marine engine" grade ingots. I have a couple, and have had pretty good luck.

Comment

Aluminum bronze seams to be the norm up my way but very expensive, about $16 per inch for 1-1/2 OD x 1 ID. Not up on bearing material but they claim its not strong but very tough wearing.
                    Cheers, Bob

Comment

I've got about 25-30lbs. of babbitt left. It's lead free (< .35%) and is good for mid-range to upper loads. It's used in nearly all antique engine and machine applications. If you want to try some, give me a holler. I have the spec sheet and analysis if you need it.

The pouring temp is just over 900* and is pretty critical so you'll need a way to watch the temp. A pyrometer is about the only way to keep an eye on the temps during the melt. The IR temp readers don't work very well because of the reflective surface.

Ops. I guess I should have read all the posts first. Looks like Mad Machinist already offered. My ingots are about 6lbs. each with about 2lb. partings. A single parting is about 1 x 1.5 x 3". That's from memory so not exact but it gives you an idea of the volume and how much you might need for an application.

Comment

Working...
                      X