Rush Jobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rush Jobs

Had a friend call just before lunch, he lost a couple dock anchor cables for his float planes. Needed something he could use to lower some 600 Lb+ concrete weights with a winch in 45' of water, then release the lifting cable once on bottom. This is what I came up with, no materials on hand except for the scrap bin. Little crude but he needed it yesterday before the wind picked up anymore type of thing . I dislike being rushed. Especially when the lake trout are still near surface.
    Cheers, Bob

looks like a good job, not a cheap one but do it and be happy.

I say easy money....

Comment

I hope he pays in the same spirit.

Comment

If I understand you correctly why didn't he use the same line / cable he has to hold the bouy / dock ?

Comment

Nope, no easy money here. Still a hobby for me, can't turn down a friend in need. I'm not skilled enough yet to do it for money, but someday. Which raises another question, when does one know when their ready without the ability to gain former training?? It's just the rush that takes the fun out of it.

His winch won't take the same Dia. cable as the mooring lines. That was my first suggestion.
          Cheers, Bob

Comment

Bob..just curious.. does it work? I like your design but 600 pounds is going to create about um... 600 pounds of resistance on the bottom of that pin.
            And once it's out of the first hole the bolt will tip really hard and jam...no?
            You are good enough to charge for a rush job as soon as they ask. They need it done.. they need to make money.. they get charged. You did the job and should get paid... friends or not for that kind of stuff.
            Russ
            I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Originally posted by Quetico Bob
              Had a friend call just before lunch, he lost a couple dock anchor cables for his float planes. Needed something he could use to lower some 600 Lb+ concrete weights with a winch in 45' of water, then release the lifting cable once on bottom. This is what I came up with, no materials on hand except for the scrap bin. Little crude but he needed it yesterday before the wind picked up anymore type of thing . I dislike being rushed. Especially when the lake trout are still near surface.
              Cheers, Bob
              That is an interesting solution. It's always more of a challenge when it's in a hurry and limited to the scrap bin. Had it been me, and you consider it's only 600lbs to begin with, and roughly half of that once submerged, I would have suspended the anchor just below the surface of the water with a short piece of sacrifical rope going to the winch. Then use another piece of rope that goes through the lift eye on the anchor. Tie one end of the lowering rope off to something solid, then wrap the other end around something solid two or three times, this is the end that you will pay out to lower the anchor. With everything tight, cut the sacrifical rope and lower the anchor to the bottom and pull the rest of the rope through the eye from topside. I have done things like this on more than one occasion. It works pretty well, but then you don't have an excuse to make something. The bottom line is that you got er done.

ME

Comment

Originally posted by torker
                Bob..just curious.. does it work? I like your design but 600 pounds is going to create about um... 600 pounds of resistance on the bottom of that pin.
                And once it's out of the first hole the bolt will tip really hard and jam...no?
                You are good enough to charge for a rush job as soon as they ask. They need it done.. they need to make money.. they get charged. You did the job and should get paid... friends or not for that kind of stuff.
                Russ

Russ when it is on the bottom , no weight is on it.

Comment

LOL! OK.. I thought it was released in 45 feet of water while still "hanging".
                  Doh!
                  I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Originally posted by Chipslinger
                    If I understand you correctly why didn't he use the same line / cable he has to hold the bouy / dock ?
                    My guess is because the cables needed to hold the buoy or dock need not be as strong as those needed to hoist a 600 pound anchor weight above water. I was going ask why he didn't just drop the weights, but it occurs to me that he probably wanted to insure that the eyes ended up on top and didn't bury or pinch the cables.

Comment

Originally posted by bruto
                      My guess is because the cables needed to hold the buoy or dock need not be as strong as those needed to hoist a 600 pound anchor weight above water. I was going ask why he didn't just drop the weights, but it occurs to me that he probably wanted to insure that the eyes ended up on top and didn't bury or pinch the cables.

The question was already answered by the O/P, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Quetico Bob
                        It's just the rush that takes the fun out of it.

Cheers, Bob
                        When you start doing it for a living....get used to it.....they all want it yesterday...
                        R. N. Koester
                        ASE Certified Master Engine Machinist

Comment

Tie a slack light line to the clevis pin. When the weight is off drop a brick with a short loop of line to ride down the light line to the pin. When it gets to the bottom yank out the slack and it will yank the pin out.

Nice idea though.
                          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Chipslinger
                            The question was already answered by the O/P, thank you.
                            That answer is too obvious. It can't be right!

Comment

Working...
                            X