horizontal attachment for veritical mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• horizontal attachment for veritical mill

What is the general consensus of the accesorie, good, bad, indifferent?

Looks like it might be a handy extra for the vert.

Thanks.

s.r.
    "the ocean is the ultimate solution"

I have one but have not used it yet. The angle head part of the set is very handy for many uses. The cutters for the 1 inch arbor can be purchased at a very reasonable price quite often. JIM
    jim

Comment

Some times they sit for a long time . Other times you could not do with out it . Had one sold it never used it then needed it about 20 times and had to borrow one.
      Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
      http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
      http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Handy but not killer stout like a horizontal mill. The gears are a little puny and the overhung spindle makes for big torque loads on the quill key. Any saw or stagger tooth milling is best done with the long arbor and the arbor support that hooks on the ram dovetail.

Comment

Arbour support

Originally posted by Forrest Addy
          Handy but not killer stout like a horizontal mill. The gears are a little puny and the overhung spindle makes for big torque loads on the quill key. Any saw or stagger tooth milling is best done with the long arbor and the arbor support that hooks on the ram dovetail.
          Thanks Forrest.

I agree with the use or arbour supports - absolutely - note the plural "supports".

Just about every pic that I see on this forum with a horizontal mill it is (only) using only the "out-board" (of the arbour nut) which uses just the small spigot on the end of the arbour as a matter of course.

I was always taught and made to use at least two arbour supports - preferably either side of the (single or "ganged") cutters for maximum support of the arbour to stop it flexing/deflecting under load.

The mills I used all had at least three arbour supports. One for the small out-board spigot and two with larger bores which engaged on larger (than the other spacers) diameter journals that were fitted to the arbour. They were a good running fit. They really did enable the mill to get stuck into removing metal with such things as large slab milling and side-and-face and "form" cutters. Using 2 larger supports was the minimum preferred with one large and one "out-board" if needs be. Use of the "out-board" on its own was an absolute last resort/recourse and required a very good reason to/for the Foreman or Leading Hand which if not forth-coming resulted in a bollocking that was not easily forgotten. And especially so if I repeated it!!!

It sure did get that metal off quickly and accurately as well as mimimising the incidence of bent and/or scored arbours. It also took a lot of the radial load off the mill spindle that drove the arbour.

Comment

We had them for the mills at school but I never had the opportunity
            to use one. I managed to do what I needed with the tilting table.
            ...lew...

Comment

A horz. is nice to have, they can be had cheap.

My brother has a Hitachi Seiki horz. mill thats sweet as can be.. He got 2 of them for $1,200. 11" X 54" table, 50 taper, power feed and rapid feed in all 3 axis's and feed stops that repeat very well. It will put a 5/8" keyway in a 20 foot stick of 2-15/16" like nothing.

We made lots of gears and splines on it. Its a Cadillac of a machine, we would fight over who gets to set it up and a run a job on.

Comment

"Looks like it might be a handy extra for the vert. "

Not if you have a horiz. mill already.

But really, they are no substitute for the real thing.

I might add, You can buy a used old H. mill for the price of an attachment.

Comment

If I were starting all over.

If I were starting my shop over again, I'd buy the HM_52 (240 volt - single phase) mill in this catalogue page as it has both a vertical mill as well as a horizontal mill (spindle) capacity.
                  http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Catalogue?id=1&pid=23

There is no sense in trying for a second-hand one in my neck of the woods in OZ.

I have no use for a swivel table as I can't see me needing to do any universal milling - but I sure could use that horizontal arbor with a couple of steady bearing brackets on it!!!

I wish!!!

Comment

I've got one for my BP, coud't live without it.... By the way where can I get spare arbors for it.

Mike
                    Mike Hunter

www.mikehunterrestorations.com

Comment

mike thats a nice big hunk of machine you have there.Alistair
                      Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Mike I hope you weren't running that when the fan fell.

Comment

Yes, basically what I have is a 9*42 BP knockoff. I have a 90 degree attachement, but dont know if it would be worth investing in the rest of the parts to have the supported arbor.

From the sounds of it, it may be.

s.r.
                          "the ocean is the ultimate solution"

Comment

Working...
                          X