Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Bend 13 4 Position Carriage Stop Jammed

Hello,

I just received a South Bend 13" 4 position carriage stop and it won't turn. Upon examination, it appears that it has had a recent paint job. So, I am thinking that some paint ran down between the casting and the barrel of it. Will soaking it in paint thinner work to free it up?

Thanks,

Brian
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

My guess is, probably not. Paint thinner typically doesn't do much to hardened paint. Won't hurt to try it though. I imagine you'll need to disassemble it to get it to move (watch out for springs and balls that may want to go flying).
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

use lacker thiner in a closed contianer, metal or glass.

Comment

But lacquer thinner will strip the paint right off...

I'd suggest SGW's approach: take it apart and clean it. If the paint is good, but has run down inside the barrel, take an X-acto knife and trim the edge on the barrel so it doesn't crack when you pull it apart.
        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Working...
        X