My vote for a swivel base vise!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My vote for a swivel base vise!!!

Arrrgghhh!!! We're building a very "artsy" (and now pricey) door roller system for two fancy doors at a lawyers place.
    This guy!!! I (sorta) wish more customers where like him. He knows ...almost.. what he wants and is really fussy.
    I just got the brackets that attach the wheels to the doors done. He comes to see them then wants to add some "feather" type slots to these to make them fancier.
    Back when I had my vise with a swivel base it would have been a very simple job. Mill the center slot first. Set the vise to 37*... mill one slot...swing it round to 37* the other way and mill that one.
    Even though they are a pain to hold in the vise now it'd still be simple.
    Now I'm out to the shop to figure out how in blazes I'm going to mill these mirror image slots with the least trouble. 4 brackets... 12 slots.
    Not a huge deal but man... it would have been way easy with the old vise.
    I still have the base but it doesn't even come close to fitting my Kurt.
    One shot of hillbilly engineering coming up
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

No rotary table either ?
    Steve

Comment

Hey Russ,you got DRO with bolt cir-calc right?Saw a guy make a 1/2" thick steel sub-plate for his vise.It bolts to the table with flat head allen screws and pivots on the factory hole in the vise base.He used the bolt cir-calc function on his DRO to spot,drill and tap holes for all the common angles on the sub-plate.Now he did ream the bolt holes in his vise base to fit tight on a shoulder bolt,but the idea did work slick.His reason was having a vise,but no swivel base to fit.Came out more ridgid than the swivel base anyway and didn't take long to make.He did also key it to the table,but the back edge could be milled true and used as surafce to set it true with the travels.
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

The mechanic at work keeps one on the mill he uses, a couple times a year I go over and turn it out of tram for some job I am working on, otherwise I hate the things and would rather not have one left on the vice.

Comment

I got it figured out... make a modified V block (weldment of course) for the moving vise jaw and clamp the angle (that I'm copying) into the back jaw.
          Won't be that bad with the dro to help.
          dd.. ya, I've got a 6" r/t but it's too small to mount these brackets easily.
          Darin... that is a heck of an idea. It'd work good till these guys come up with a 37* angle.
          But... I could still make a simple low turntable affair like that.
          Mo... I wouldn't want the swivel base on all the time either but a few times a month one would be a real time saver.
          My old vise was supposed to be a clone of a Kurt but in real life the Kurt is a hell of a lot bigger animal. I can only imagine how big and heavy it would be with the real Kurt swivel.
          I think my old vise weighed the same as the Kurt... including the swivel base.

Comment

Originally posted by torker
            This guy!!! I (sorta) wish more customers where like him. He knows ...almost.. what he wants and is really fussy.
            .................................................. .......
            Russ
            Hope you get paid ok.

A cabinet maker friend of mine did lots of work for a lawyer.

How great it was!

That Lawyer paid wages, and materials, no profit.

Told my buddy "if you sue me, I'll streach it out in court
            for ever".

My Buddy took his lumps, and just wines about it now.

You see, Judges are just old lawyers, and know the tricks.

The D.A.!, Why, he's a lawyer too! They all stick togather!

Look at that D.A. in New York.

On one hand busting houses of ill repute,

on the other, alleged to be financing other houses at the same time.

Had $80,000 worth of fun till someone spilled the beans.

Why, for 80,000, I could get a bunch of nice tools!

Good luck!

Kap

Comment

Had $80,000 worth of fun till someone spilled the beans.

Why, for 80,000, I could get a bunch of nice tools!

Good luck!

Kap
              Yeah...and your tools won't give you an itchy wiener either

Paul
              Paul Carpenter
              Mapleton, IL

Comment

if he paid wages and materials what else was he supposed to pay sorry I don't get this doesn't wages mean you guys got paid I hope you did .Alistair
                Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

I live in a city where there is (seriously!) one attorney for every 32 residents. Most are, of course, involved in Silly Con Valley corporate, intellectual property and other affairs.

Nonetheless, it's been my experience that lawyers aren't more likely to be jerks than any other sort of folk. It's just that those who are can be so obvious.

When I went through my divorce some 15 years ago, my attorney went out of his way to help me find ways to an easy settlement that seriously reduced his possible fee.

My business attorney was similarly generous, but recently had to retire as a result of Parkinson's. Early this year I was referred to a regarded San Francisco business lawyer for advice on how to handle an employee theft issue, and after three consultations, he still won't take a nickel for his time. He said he'd been in our shop, and liked the place.

But then there was our competitor, the "retired" lawyer who ran a local music shop. His first response was to threaten to sue customers if they complained about his rude behavior.
                  Cheers,

Frank Ford
                  HomeShopTech

Comment

lawyers

The way I heard it was that 99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name Peter
                    The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

Comment

LOL! Peter.. I forgot you told me that one the other night.
                      Nope.. guy is the best customer I've had yet... brings a wad of loot everytime he visits. He just added about $600 to the job last night. More polishing... more slots...

Comment

Working...
                      X