Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT - A past "Air Force One" keeps on working...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - A past "Air Force One" keeps on working...

This is kind of interesting for those who enjoy aviation history....

The Things It Carried
    How an unremarkable Convair C-131H transported cops, patients, prisoners, and Gerald Ford.
    • By Thomas DeFrank
    • Air & Space Magazine, July 01, 2008
    ...It’s the latest incarnation for an airplane that once enjoyed the world’s most famous call sign: Air Force One. Now it answers to the more prosaic Tanker 475....

http://www.airspacemag.com/history-o...tml?c=y&page=1

By the way...How many of you have seen Air Force One? I never thought about it much until I saw it fly over (very low of course)! Somehow it's the prettiest plane I have seen - it sent shivers up my spine! I guess I'm a little more patriotic than I thought.

How many of you have seen it in person?
    Last edited by Mike Burdick; 06-06-2008, 02:43 AM.

How many have seen the very first Air Force One or even know where it is:

That's a piccy I took of it. Constellation. I can't recall which president flew in it, but it was much earlier than Ford.

Cheers,

BW
    ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

That "Connie" would have been used by President Eisenhower.

Glenn

Comment

Another Constellation here

For all of you interested in historical aircraft have a look at www.hars.org.au
        which is the Historical Aircraft Restoration Society ( Australia) about half an hour from my place.
        Will

Comment

Air force one, Is any plane that Has the President on it.

Marine one is the helicopter that shuttles him around the local area.

Comment

Originally posted by BobWarfield
            How many have seen the very first Air Force One or even know where it is:

That's a piccy I took of it. Constellation. I can't recall which president flew in it, but it was much earlier than Ford.

Cheers,

BW
            That's Ike's plane, the "Columbine" and it now resides at the Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio.

I've always felt that the Lockheed Constellation was the sleekest, most graceful and most elegant aircraft ever.

Comment

And, in that view, at least, it is the most "russian" looking US aircraft I can think of......

Something about the nose and cockpit..........

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by john hobdeclipe
                I've always felt that the Lockheed Constellation was the sleekest, most graceful and most elegant aircraft ever.
                Nah.. That would be the P51 Mustang.

Comment

Originally posted by john hobdeclipe
                  That's Ike's plane, the "Columbine" and it now resides at the Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio.

I certainly agree. It was a beautiful design. It was first developed at the urging of TWA and its then major shareholder, Howard Hughes, in the quest for an airplane with a long range. I think they could go 3,500 miles!

I can recall seeing the Constellatoins coming in from flight at Midway Airport in Chicago when I was a little child. My father often flew on them for his job.

Watching those big engines cough spit and belch black smoke for a while when starting up was quite a sight. I wonder what it would cost to run one of those nowadays given the copious quantities of high octane aircraft fuel they needed.?

Comment

At the Air and Space Museum near Dulles.
                    Wish they had the props on when I was there.

...lew...

Comment

"Constellation, best damn 3 engine airplane ever made!"

An airline captain supposedly said that referring to the fact that after a long flight, only rarely were all 4 R3350's running. Commonly 3, sometimes 2.
                      Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

I had an eastbound layover at Newark towards the end of Clinton's second term. As our plane taxied towards the runway we passed Air force One. My first thought was "Oh cool, it's Air Force One". Then we proceeded to site on the tarmac for an hour and fifteen minutes while the President took care of whatever "business" he had in the area. When we finally took off it was into a good size thunderstorm. I figured the odds were pretty good the plane was going to be struck by a bolt and I was going to meet my end, all because the President was at a fund raiser or a fancy diner in Manhattan (or a quite apartment with a willing female, the was Clinton after all).
                        Brett Jones...

Comment

Sacred Cow

Prior to Air Force One was FDR's "Sacred Cow" - Even had an elevator. Quite a collection of former Presidential planes at the Air Force Museum at Wright-Pat AFB in Dayton Ohio.

Comment

Before Carl Icahn destroyed TWA, there was a TWA Constellation that flew over the house here a couple times at very low altitude.... Of course I didn't have a camera any of the times, but at least I saw it. I think TWA owned it, and it was maintained by TWA personnel on a volunteer basis. I assume the new owners quickly scrapped it, and also the Trimotor that was in TWA colors... (bad attitude on my part!??)

It was heading towards the annual July 4th airshow... which also does not exist anymore (along with 2 other local annual airshows) "because of lack of interest"............. hah......
                            Last edited by J Tiers; 06-06-2008, 10:23 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Burdick
                              This is kind of interesting for those who enjoy aviation history....

[How many of you have seen it in person?
                              I was on JFK"S A.F.1. Like You, Patriotism pops up unexpectadly. It is hard to describe the feelings that you feel when near something that great and historic. State of the art in it's day, but it doesn't look like anything I would want to trust in the air.
                              Pima Air and Space Museium is just south east of Tucson Az. and has it along with many other great aircraft on display.
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X