Something a bit different

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something a bit different

I'm building a radio controlled model bike for an attempt at a speed record in the UK in september.The engine is an OS.28,approx 4.8cc I think.

I've started making a tuned pipe.It's made from an old lorry axle I had,the walls are approx 0.010" thick on the pipe.

This pic. is of progress on the the convergent cone and the stinger is made,now need to turn it round and cut the inside of the cone.Stinger is 41mm long and 9mm bore.

This is a front view,the divergent cone and header are lying on the cross slide.Total length when assembled will be 291mm overall and projected power should be made at 30.000 rpm.

Allan

Nice work Allan, how did you support the tapered pipe to cut such thin walls?
    Cheers, Bob

Comment

Cut the inside first and then turn a matching taper plug with a centre drilled hole in it to put in the end and and then support it with the centre in the tailstock to cut the outside.

Biggest problem is getting a boring bar long enough and rigid enough to bore the inside cone and still have clearance when it enters the header or the stinger from inside.

Allan

Comment

That's wicked. How'd you calculate the power curve?

Comment

Found some software on the web.

http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/javapipe_en.htm

It's for two stroke piston engines,doesn't mention anything about diesels though...

Allan
          Last edited by Allan Waterfall; 06-06-2008, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Pipe now finished and weighs 64 gms. Approx 2 1/4 oz.

Allan
            Last edited by Allan Waterfall; 07-01-2008, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Allan Waterfall
              I'm building a radio controlled model bike for an attempt at a speed record in the UK in september.The engine is an OS.28,approx 4.8cc I think.
              Nice job Allan. I couldn't translate into American English until I saw your last picture and realized you were making an RC motorcycle

So what are the rules for the speed record? Are you limited to 4.8CC?
              "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

There's not much laid down yet as regards rules,it's a new class emerging.

http://www.fast-rc.co.uk/forum/index.php
                Bike, IC
                Vehicles are classified IC Bike if they meet the following criteria
                • Any 2 wheeled vehicle with rear wheel drive
                • Max engine size .28
                • Any fuel
                At present there is only one model bike record set at 87mph by an electric bike in America,it's a bit easier to do with electric power,you just throw in more batteries.
                That record should go in the UK this year from the bike I've seen.

Electric and IC are two separate classes,so I'm hoping to set the first IC bike record.The bikes nothing like the 1/5 scale bikes I race and until I've tried my speed bike out everything is experimental.
                The main chassis is cut from a 1/8 scale racing car and I'll have a better idea on making the next one after I see how this one works out.

Allan
                Last edited by Allan Waterfall; 07-01-2008, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X