Welding rod selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding rod selection

Ok, Customer wants to change to a differant engine in his jetski. Thats no problem. He wants the Drive shafts to be cut and welded, Thus use the front half from one ski and the other half from the other ski. This will make the splines on both ends fit. So the question is what kind of welding rod do I use? Material looks like stainless but is rusty in spots. It also is magnetic. The two shafts that will be joined are from to differant manufacturers. Not a clue what kind of steel either one is. If I use 7018 and the base metal is stainless will that bond to stainless? If I use stainless rod and the base is steel, will it bond? The driveshaft is solid and is about .825 in diameter

That's actually a tough call.
    No.. don't use 7018. An 8018, 9018 or 11018 would get you closer but still not right.
    EG... welding most SS to mild steel you should use E309 (or E310).
    not your case.
    For welding 304 SS you need E308 and so on.
    If it's 303SS you shouldn't weld it.
    It's hard to tell you exactly what rod to use.
    Some of the guys here may know or have a better guess what the shafts are made of.
    A smallish shaft like that is best welded with tig but if you are careful with inclusions you can use stick.
    Guess that didn't help much huh?
    Was me in an emergency I'd try E11018... cuz I keep that on hand and have used it to weld "mystery" SS.
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

You need to narrow down on the type steel it is first.Try the magnet again,first on the shaft and then on another piece of low carbon steel.If the pull is the same then it most likely is steel of some sort.If it is less on the shaft then it might be SS,but probably something not easily welded.

Some of the jetski mfgs like to use 1045 that they then chrome plate,7018 would be fin for that,better would be 8018 or 9018 like Russ mentioned.

Others like 8620 which can also be welded.

There are a few though that use Aquamet stainless,but I doubt that's what you have since your seeing rust.
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Thanks Darin.. kinda thought you'd jump on this one. I've never had anything to do with jetskis so have no idear what shafting they'd use.
        I can tell however... I have recently leaned on a jetski... I took one in on trade and just kinda lean on it once in awhile.
        I may stay at a Holiday Inn soon as well then I'd be an expert on the things ...no?
        Russ

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
          Some of the jetski mfgs like to use 1045 that they then chrome plate,7018 would be fin for that,better would be 8018 or 9018 like Russ mentioned.
          Are the shafts hardened? If you weld on it, you're going to anneal it...
          "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Here you go Russ,just what you need

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq8Fn...eature=related

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
              Are the shafts hardened? If you weld on it, you're going to anneal it...
              Sometimes yes,sometimes no.At least it's a jetski so it's only running a pump impellar,not too much shock loading to worry about.

Comment

I'll try the magnetic differance and see.
                I think that there is a LOT of shock. That thing is in and outa the water every 5 seconds for its entire life.
                Customer said one seemed harder than the other with a "file test".
                I'll post a pic tonight of the two shafts. Perhaps the color of them will be a tell tale sign ...........

Comment

Cover

I think I'd discuss it with my insurer first!!!

Comment

An over the fence guess on the correct welding filler to be used on a highly stressed part? I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole. If there's room I might consider a silver brazed sleeve but then the heat may detract from the strength of the shaft.

Nope. Send the man down the road. There's the possibility the shaft will fail stranding the dufus is out on the briney. That's a tort action waiting to happen.

Comment

#1 I would Tig weld that shaft , not stick weld.#2 I would make a sleeve that is fitted to the shaft, slide it on before mating the ends, weld the shaft together check for straitness,correct if neccisary,dress the weld,slide sleeve over welded joint and plug weld sleeve to shaft,along with welding around the ends of the sleeve. check for strait again.....now having said all that..I would strongly suggest you seek out someone that can make you a splined shaft to meet your needs...if the splines are out of alignment (concentric) it'll beat the snot out of the crank bearings & pump bearings ....rapidly.....Good luck Shawn

Comment

Originally posted by Forrest Addy
                        An over the fence guess on the correct welding filler to be used on a highly stressed part? I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole. If there's room I might consider a silver brazed sleeve but then the heat may detract from the strength of the shaft.

Nope. Send the man down the road. There's the possibility the shaft will fail stranding the dufus is out on the briney. That's a tort action waiting to happen.
                        Holy Geezuz.. I'm glad I don't live down in the US sometimes. You guys are scared to take a crap sometimes.
                        Nobody said anything about being stranded in the middle of the Atlantic... unless I missed something.
                        I weld crap like this all the time and have for years... that's what weldors do.
                        If I'm really concerned I get hold of the mfg. and ask what the shaft is made of.... simple as that. If it can be welded i weld it...if not I don't.
                        I think it comes down to ability???? I've had hundreds of my welds tested and have a good idea how it should be done. I judge what I can and cannot do because I take the time to learn what is weldable and what isn't.
                        Giving ANY advice on the net is a crapshoot.
                        Forrest... I've read you stuff for years. What if I misunderstood a little thing you said about damn near anything and hurt myself.. aren't you concerned that I may sue you?
                        And tiffie... how the hell do you justify your comment after showing everyone how to use a drill press vise and a piece of flat bar to equal a Kurt vise????
                        Welding is welding.. there are proceedures.. if you follow them you are protected by law. If you use your best guestimation as a qualified weldor (as we sometimes have to) and don't do anything blatantly stupid... you are also protected by the law... at least up here you are.
                        You all need to quit crying wolf all the time (or he may come back)
                        Russ

Comment

Cash money,no ticket = no tort,they can pound sand without proof you did anything.

With that said I won't do things that might endanger the general public,crappy tow hitches stupid car mods that sort of thing,of things that are just plain stupid,those guys don't pay anyway.

If he is running his jetski out of sight of land he is a fool and will die sooner or later wether somebody welds his shaft or not.

The worst part of the job will be getting it straight

Comment

Advice.

Originally posted by torker
                            And tiffie... how the hell do you justify your comment after showing everyone how to use a drill press vise and a piece of flat bar to equal a Kurt vise????
                            Easy - I need a clear conscience - but not a list of cleared assets!!. and I certainly did not equate it to using a "Kurt" vice. I did advise caution as well!!! And for what its worth, that same method is in just about any web site or hand-book/manual on shaping machines!! And they are still advertised and sold on the net.

If you recall, after a similar "comment" (adverse) about putting that post of mine up for "newbies" and that I had been taught how to use it and that they may not etc. etc. I withdrew it in deference to your comments.

I think that if a rule is going to be applied it should be pretty well universal if it is published without caveat by a very experienced weldor who may well make it look "all too easy" to a lesser competent person or one who is less well advised.

It is all too easy for a "what I would/can do/did" to be taken as a "go for it" by others.

Comment

Sorry tiffie.. I don't agree. All over the web are pages of info regarding proper welding proceedures etc. It is not magic. Like I said.. it comes down to "if you can do it". Not everyone can weld. Not everyone can sculpt a weld puddle as required. This is a highly technical manual skill. It's a hell of a lot different than cranking handwheels to a predetermined number.
                              The poster seemed to know how to weld and was asking which electrode to use. That is all he asked. He did NOT say.. "I don't know how to weld so...."
                              As for the vise deal... yup...you deleted it...kudos to you. Lets not chase that horse any further.

Comment

Working...
                              X