Tool Gloat, Sort of.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool Gloat, Sort of.

I'm at a loss for words. Have been teaching myself the trade for a year now, armed only with the very basic of tooling and lots of guidance from Uncle in B.C., have spent countless hours on the phone with him for advice and ideas on most of my projects. For example he explained how to build a dovetail for my rifle rest with just a face mill, the only cutter I had for it at the time.

Although working with just a handful of bits has its frustrations, it sure teaches you how to be creative and there's always another way to tackle a problem, it might be the long way around but great experience and this past year I've gained a lot thanks to him, and you folks as well.

My wife brought a parcel home from the post office last night. Just opened it this morning, somehow a thank you dosn't seem enough. Actually been trying to figure out what to say since 6 this morning.

Thank you Uncle, I know you will see this. Words can't describe the appreciation or the doors you have opened, this certainly takes me to the next level. Some day I'll be confident enough to open for business, just a little sooner now thanks to you.

Now, if I can just find that super secret button JR was talking about on his boring head explosion, I can take a peak inside.

Cheers, Bob

WOW! what a super gift!
    Ignorance is curable through education.

Comment

Bob, I've been staring at the picture to 10 minutes and I don't know what to say either. That's one hell of an Uncle you got there. That will sure enough expand your capabilities.
      Mac

Comment

That top book: George Thomas' "Machinist Workshop" is outstanding. The three bedside readers are great too.

Looks like you're pretty well set for an intro machinist' tooling package!
        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Looks like christmas came early this year
          Congatulations!

Comment

can he be my uncle too please please please.I want to be uncadoptedAlistair
            Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Lemme say yer uncle is a super guy.. You have some quality stuff there, and all the right books... You owe that guy.... Now I need me a rich uncle.... JR
              My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Sounds like you uncle is as generous with his "stuff" as he is with his knowledge. Pretty rare these days. Truly a gift that keep giving. You are fortunate guy.

Comment

Meh.
                  That's just some extra stuff he had lying around. Now that you've learned to make watches & clocks from rocks & sticks, you'll probably never use all that newfangled stuff.

If you can't have a rich uncle, at least it's really cool to have a thoughtful and generous one anyway. Probably better.
                  Tally up one great day for the Bobster.

Comment

uncle

The heck with uncle; can I move in with you? I don't each much, wash once a week and don't bring home strays! Wayne. Good of unclle!!!

Comment

I see about a grand there, If I fell into a grand worth of stuff from a benefactor , I would try to make him something nice with some of the stuff.

Comment

dup post

Comment

You got any extra uncles you don't need.
                          Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
                          http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
                          http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Ummm.. Bob!!! You said "Tool Gloat.. sorta!" Sorta my a$$!!! Wow! You are gonna love that stuff.
                            Geezuz.. I was just bitchin to the gurl today.. Holy! This machine shop stuff just never ends. I seldom have to buy anything for my fab shop... but the machine shop... I'm ordering stuff for it weekly. Hope you don't mind kissin a$$... cuz you owe your uncle a big one!!!
                            Have fun ya hoser!
                            Russ
                            I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

See if he has more stuff...I'm missing an uncle anyway.

That's a nice gift...I see it as an expression of confidence in you.

Comment

Working...
                              X