Square tubing broach (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Square tubing broach (pics)

Had this on my mind for awhile and finally got around to making it.Broach to remove the weld flash inside a square tube so it will telescope.

Started off with one to do 2" into 2-1/2" and then made another for 2-1/2 into 3" all 1/4" wall.

I figure I can go all the way from 1-1/2 to 6" since I can get tubing in 1/2" increments up to 6" in 1/4" wall.

Next task is to whip up a puller to broach 20' long sticks

I just need one more tool,just one!

Pretty slick Darin.
    What all do you build with so many different sizes of telescoping tubing???

Comment

Sweet. You have a nice usefull tool there. Cant count the times I needed one. Seems that I was always able to reach up in there with a die grinder and get what I needed. But with a puller, I can only imagine the projects.....

rock
      Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

Darin... OK.. I have to remember this one in case there really is a "project of the year" thing down the road! Brilliant mister!!!
        Ok.. the socket head screw in the bottom.. a jack screw to maintain the cutting pressure???
        Thanks bud!
        Russ
        I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Originally posted by Joel
          Pretty slick Darin.
          What all do you build with so many different sizes of telescoping tubing???
          Well all sorts of stuff really,two items are reciever sockets and gooseneck trailer jacks.The sockets I will still buy in the shorter lengths,but the longer length sockets get pricey pretty quick and the shipping is killer now too.Nobody wants to pay $60 for a 24" RT socket.The new superduty one ton pickups are using a 2-1/2" socket that not everybody has availible yet as well.

The jacks nobody makes a intermeadiate jack,they go from the 5,000lb mini-float jacks right to the 30k# gooseneck jobs with not much in between.I'm paying $65 wholesale for a good 5k jack and $165 for the 30k,but again shipping is a killer.

There are tons of uses for it,just having a ready source for it was always the problem,well that's been solved.

Comment

Originally posted by torker
            Darin... OK.. I have to remember this one in case there really is a "project of the year" thing down the road! Brilliant mister!!!
            Ok.. the socket head screw in the bottom.. a jack screw to maintain the cutting pressure???
            Thanks bud!
            Russ
            Ahh the screw,since the tubing varies slightly I made is so the tool could be slipped in the end and the cutting edge be jacked out to remove all of the weld through without scrapping the wall of the tube.I'm suprised just how close the stuff fits,less than 1/32" total clearance.

Comment

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I do like it!! I built a swedge to do the same thing for a part of the custom built grippers I build for the Garbagewagons at work. [ya know, the kind that grab the plastic toters that everyone seems to have now] This looks like a much better setup, I'll have to build one before the next time we make another run of them.

Many Thanks, Tim

Comment

Yes Darin I like this one alot. As rock said I have done it with a grinder also and tried to design projects around it. You are right this will open new doors. Good Job. Jay
                "Just build it and be done"

Comment

Very nice.

I haven't bought any tubing that had the flash removed lately but when I did it was about double the cost.

Good job!
                  Last edited by Mike Burdick; 06-07-2008, 12:13 AM.

Comment

I have milled slots in heavy wall tube for the crazy kids who have 4 X 4 trucks and want cheap drive line tubes, I have made drivelines from reciever tubes for hitches.

hell I dont give a damn, I tell the kids they are nuts but make and weld the parts anyway, Im not thier mama...

despite what people say Iv seen Jeeps with water pipe drivelines pop wheelies and go hog wild.

I can tell a customer he is nuts but if he is happy I dont care...

Comment

Mike.... Now, that really takes me back.......

Back in the dark ages I worked in a Automotive machine shop. We did a lot of driveline work, were a authorized Spicer outlet, etc, etc.

One day a big guy came in with a driveline out of some kind of old crane. I don't have a clue what this driveline ran, BUT. It was really crude, looked like it had been built at night from scrap. We told him we could salvage a few parts, but it'd take mostly a complete new assy. Old Joe, the driveline guy put it in the bandsaw,to salvage parts. He said the damn thing musta been made from lead, it was so heavy. After the cut was done, we found that the tube was actually a cannon barrel. like 50mm or so, I don't remember now. Maybe about 3" or so O.D. We wound up with a 3' or so hunk in the misc iron box. Wish I'd purloined it when I quit, circa 1977.

Would make one fine spud gun barrel, no????

TC

Comment

Cool tool, I think you mentioned one with a carbide insert once in another thread...idea has been filed in the back of my mind ever since.

Comment

that is the same basic design a a "cutter box", which is used to cut the rifleing inside a gun barrel using the cut rifleing method.

Comment

That's a very nice little project there. What did you use for the cutter, a HSS tool bit? Looks like what, 3/4" or so? I've never tried to weld it, but I seem to recall someone saying that they had experimented and found that even welding several inches away killed the hardness.

In any case, I use quite a bit of "receiver tube", and would love the ability to make my own of various sizes (common 2-1/2" is often too big anyway). I think I may have to give this a whirl myself. Yay, just want I need, another project I don't have time for...
                            Russ
                            Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Originally posted by BadDog
                              That's a very nice little project there. What did you use for the cutter, a HSS tool bit? Looks like what, 3/4" or so? I've never tried to weld it, but I seem to recall someone saying that they had experimented and found that even welding several inches away killed the hardness.
                              Yup,just some HSS I had laying around.I milled a notch for it to slide back into,set it up and pre-heated it to around 800-1,000F then welded it in with 7018.Put the thing in sand real quick and let it cool.I've welded lots of HSS stuff,it's not that bad so long as it's preheated and allowed to cool slow.The first piece of tubing I tried it on I used a BFH and a block of aluminum and drove it through so it's pretty tough.

Abn,I tried the carbide insert idea out on smaller tubing,it did work,but was too fragile and lacked the adjustment feature.

I wil also add one piece of advice to anyone making one,pick your tubing carefully.It will all cut,but getting tubing with the smallest possible amount of weld flash works the best
                              Last edited by wierdscience; 06-07-2008, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X